The Student Room Group

Psychology - Bowlby's evolutionary theory of attachment

Hi i really need some help, can anyone please explain Bowlby's theory's especially the evolutionary theory of attachment. Ive looked over my notes and the workbook but i still don't fully understand it and i have an exam on it on Tuesday 😢
Reply 1
He states that attachment is biologically predetermined and that a child should receive the continuous care of the primary caregiver for 2 years so that the attachment can act as a template for future relationships. If the attachment is broken during these 2 years (the critical period) then this will have long term consequences like depression and reduced intelligence
Original post by sheppardsstation
Hi i really need some help, can anyone please explain Bowlby's theory's especially the evolutionary theory of attachment. Ive looked over my notes and the workbook but i still don't fully understand it and i have an exam on it on Tuesday 😢

I have PM'd you :smile:
A Snap Chat Makes Images

A - Adaptive - We have adapted to attach to our caregivers so that we can survive and in turn, our caregivers attach to us to promote the survival of their genes.

S - Social Releasers - The cute noises/attention seeking behaviour that babies make to encourage adults to respond to their needs (and thus promotes survival)

C - Critical Period - Must develop an attachment within a specific timeframe otherwise there can be developmental consequences.

M - Monotropy - We have one unique attachment with our caregiver with all other attachments in a hierarchy beneath.

I - Internal Working Model - This one unique attachment create a template for all future relationships (intimate and friends)
Original post by Findlay6
A Snap Chat Makes Images

A - Adaptive - We have adapted to attach to our caregivers so that we can survive and in turn, our caregivers attach to us to promote the survival of their genes.

S - Social Releasers - The cute noises/attention seeking behaviour that babies make to encourage adults to respond to their needs (and thus promotes survival)

C - Critical Period - Must develop an attachment within a specific timeframe otherwise there can be developmental consequences.

M - Monotropy - We have one unique attachment with our caregiver with all other attachments in a hierarchy beneath.

I - Internal Working Model - This one unique attachment create a template for all future relationships (intimate and friends)

This is really good! How did you learn this?
Original post by Shanxxox
This is really good! How did you learn this?

I'm a teacher 😉
I'm a teacher 😉

Haha awesome!
Reply 7
A Snap Chat Makes Images

My teacher uses that but just says Askme which is so confusing to remember which letters aren’t the same AND what they mean! I will definitely remember your version!

Quick Reply