The Student Room Group

Help - afraid of going to college

I am in year 11. I have only 4 friends who i have known since primary school. I struggle making new friends and i don't talk much. I will be studying maths, further maths and physics at A-level but all 4 of my friends will be going to a different college. Please help/give me advice
Reply 1
Please
College isnt scary, at first it will be but in no time you will making friends like its nothing x
You probably will still have these friends outside of college, just plan to see them! You probably will make some new friends at college but if you don’t it doesn’t matter that much as it is only 2-3 years. It’s not like school where you need friends to survive.
Reply 4
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
College isnt scary, at first it will be but in no time you will making friends like its nothing x

i really struggle making friends - i just don't know what to do. its more being lonelier than i am now that i'm worried about. ill be fine with the classes but i haven't made any new friends for 8 years and my 4 friends are going to a different college
Original post by Baza2002
I am in year 11. I have only 4 friends who i have known since primary school. I struggle making new friends and i don't talk much. I will be studying maths, further maths and physics at A-level but all 4 of my friends will be going to a different college. Please help/give me advice

Honestly college is fine. It might seem a bit overwhelming at first because there's lots of people, but the good thing about that means that lots of people will be in the same boat as you, as many won't know anyone there either. Try to talk to people in your classes, because you already have a common interest there, or join some clubs that you're interested in.
Reply 6
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
Honestly college is fine. It might seem a bit overwhelming at first because there's lots of people, but the good thing about that means that lots of people will be in the same boat as you, as many won't know anyone there either. Try to talk to people in your classes, because you already have a common interest there, or join some clubs that you're interested in.

i'm like really shy. how should i approach people?
i'm like really shy. how should i approach people?

Just talk to people you sit next to. Say hello, maybe ask what subjects they're doing, how they're finding college so far. There's nothing wrong with questions like that to break the ice. What school did they go to? At college, everyone wants to make friends, even those who went to feeder schools, so I'm sure most people will try and start up a conversation.
Reply 8
Just talk to people you sit next to. Say hello, maybe ask what subjects they're doing, how they're finding college so far. There's nothing wrong with questions like that to break the ice. What school did they go to? At college, everyone wants to make friends, even those who went to feeder schools, so I'm sure most people will try and start up a conversation.

How do i say hello or ask what they are doing? (i know it's a stupid question but i didn't make any friends in high-school)
How do i say hello or ask what they are doing? (i know it's a stupid question but i didn't make any friends in high-school)

When you both first sit down, just say hello (Obviously not if the teacher's talking). I can't make you say that though, you've got to have the willpower to do it. It's hard at first, but just think about how much better college will be if you have friends there.
Reply 10
When you both first sit down, just say hello (Obviously not if the teacher's talking). I can't make you say that though, you've got to have the willpower to do it. It's hard at first, but just think about how much better college will be if you have friends there.

ok. ill try to

Everyone feels like this when going to college away from their mates. You wont be alone, just sit next to someone say hello, if the class is before lunch ask if you could join them for the break. They will say yes, trust me.
Hi
Reply 13
Original post by amibee
Everyone feels like this when going to college away from their mates. You wont be alone, just sit next to someone say hello, if the class is before lunch ask if you could join them for the break. They will say yes, trust me.

will i be judged if i just study at dinner and break because i'm and probably will be too afraid to say hello to anyone?
will i be judged if i just study at dinner and break because i'm and probably will be too afraid to say hello to anyone?

Nah, it's not like school. You'll be left alone if you want to be left alone, people are far less judgemental in College. But conversely its also easy to make friends, much easier than in high school. I think you'll naturally make friends if that's what you would like to do. Nothing that we say is going to stop you from worrying but most of us have already experienced exactly what you're going through right now...all the worrying, and the worrying is worse than the reality of College and making friends.

I found at my college people easily made friends if they did the same subjects and kept seeing each other in their classes and since your doing 3 subjects commonly done together I think you’ll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest