I think Hans Zimmer > Mozart - Agree? Watch

Texxers
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Does anyone else think Hans Zimmer was a better composer than Mozart?
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Zimmer is decent. Got nothing on James Horner, though.
Texxers
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
I'm a huge fan of Horner. I'll never forget his Titanic piece, But Hans Zimmer is genius.
K-Man_PhysCheM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you like 4 chords, then sure.

(One must remember that Zimmer has access to far more developed instruments and technology than Mozart did, so arguments referring to "better orchestral textures" by Zimmer are somewhat redundant, or at least an unfair comparison).
Texxers
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)
If you like 4 chords, then sure.

(One must remember that Zimmer has access to far more developed instruments and technology than Mozart did, so arguments referring to "better orchestral textures" by Zimmer are somewhat redundant, or at least an unfair comparison).
Okay fine, that it fair enough.

Didn't think of that :lol:
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Braveheart and Avatar OST I have about 100 plays in iPlayer. Titanic is pretty great.

Thomas Newman is great, too. Road to Perdition, American Beauty, Green Mile.

Zimmer's scores are not dynamic enough for me. Just a buzz in the background at different pitches.
Texxers
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Braveheart and Avatar OST I have about 100 plays in iPlayer. Titanic is pretty great.

Thomas Newman is great, too. Road to Perdition, American Beauty, Green Mile.

Zimmer's scores are not dynamic enough for me. Just a buzz in the background at different pitches.
LOL You are so wrong, so you're saying Inceptions soundtrack is a buzz in the background :lol: ?

Have you seen inception?
06moca1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can't really compare. Both are different genre and both are from different time periods. The ideas of music back then is very different. Why not try and compare romantic era composers to Han Zimmers? Romantic era music has a lot more to do with expression of feelings. Han Zimmers music also tries to play with emotions.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Texxers)
LOL You are so wrong, so you're saying Inceptions soundtrack is a buzz in the background :lol: ?

Have you seen inception?
Yeah, me and 2 billion people have seen it.

Time is alright, but that's about it. I don't get why people go crazy over Zimmer; probably because they have no appreciation for film scores and liking the memefied Time is easy.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've never really 'got' Zimmer. Loads of my mates went to see him live and thought it was great.
Dhanny
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
James Horners Braveheart is absolutely surreal. Gave me goosebumps.

You know the music is magnificent if you get goosebumps......
GeoJones94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think I actually prefer John Williams to Zimmer. I think Williams' has made so many "classic" sound tracks that create actual emotional responses in people (not that Zimmer's scores don't evoke emotional responses of course). Maybe it's the era thing though with Williams being especially prevalent in the late 70s/80s (not that his career hasn't continued to grow since then) a time when the block buster culture seemed to really grow and films still relied on more traditional style scoring. Now, film production is different, particularly in the sound track department- the lines between what is a sound track/score and what is sound design are growing increasingly more blurred and this is where I think Zimmer excels. Of course he can and has made epic "traditional" style scores- things like Pirates of the Caribbean because it sounds "piratey" amongst way more but what's really impressive is how he uses things like a ticking clock or the Shepard tone for example which can be considered non traditional scoring techniques. It's this I believe that adds to the whole experience- hearing amazing music without consciously thinking about the music and then being taken of out of the perceived reality of the film. Times have changed and as has the role of the score in my opinion.

As for Zimmer being a better composer then Mozart, I don't agree. Firstly as mentioned- the time frame is totally different, as was the understanding of music. Also, he achieved all that he did in just 35 years. His music is hugely iconic and his legacy has stood the test of time. Anyway that's enough rambling from me haha
bigstu99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Texxers)
Does anyone else think Hans Zimmer was a better composer than Mozart?
Not me, personally i'd say Mozart was better, even though the instruments and tools zimmer has available are more so its not a simple to direct compare, but i'd go with Mozart though.

However listening to multiple Mozart pieces one after another they kinda feel similar as they have his sort of signature to them all, with the movements and key changes.

Mozart flute and Harp concerto, performed well live is BEASTTTTTT it just can't be done justice through digital whether through headphones or a super speaker set up.

Maybe (not sure of this) an analog recording and playback like vinyl would get you a bit closer

Whereas zimmer has his own signature of taking the simple chords of modern pop music, and modern tools and making a big wall of atmosphere which serves the purpose really well.

Would be interesting to see what Mozart would do in a similar situation now making a film score but ah we'll never know.

Just my opinion tho
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (145)
58.7%
No (102)
41.3%

Watched Threads