The Student Room Group

GCSE Options

Not really sure how this works yet but:

I'm currently in year 9 and we will be choosing our options in February/March. I have started GCSE Maths and I'm currently doing foundation (set4, moved down) I'm really upset that I can only achieve a 5 in my GCSEs. I know it's really early but I don't think I will be able to do higher and get the highest grade I can possibly get. The topics we're doing right now are easy for me and I enjoy maths and want to do something challenging.

I also want to do computer science but the head of CS has come and told us that set 4 and 5 are recommended to NOT do it because it's challenging and maths based. I have been waiting all year to do CS next year and this is what I've been told. I really want to choose computer science and and I'm even planning to do it for A-Levels and do something CS related for university.

How hard is higher maths?
Not that hard if you are naturally good at maths
I hate it when people say that about Computer Science - it's off putting!
Listen, I'll be 100% honest, I'm Year 11 and my mocks gave me a 5 in Maths Higher - Paper 1 (OCR) is about the computer side as in CPU etc, my kinda stuff - whereas Paper 2 is the mathsy bit - Binary shifts, Hexadecimal conversions - I get this may be confusing, but read up on it. It's not as maths-based as they make it out to be. I get 7's in Computer Science, and 5's in Maths so there's not really a correlation.
Prove them wrong, but if you go ahead with C.S, revise using my spec's revision guides etc, so you have a good background so you're not going in blind.

Good luck,
John.

:-)
Reply 3
Original post by ExamJon54
I hate it when people say that about Computer Science - it's off putting!
Listen, I'll be 100% honest, I'm Year 11 and my mocks gave me a 5 in Maths Higher - Paper 1 (OCR) is about the computer side as in CPU etc, my kinda stuff - whereas Paper 2 is the mathsy bit - Binary shifts, Hexadecimal conversions - I get this may be confusing, but read up on it. It's not as maths-based as they make it out to be. I get 7's in Computer Science, and 5's in Maths so there's not really a correlation.
Prove them wrong, but if you go ahead with C.S, revise using my spec's revision guides etc, so you have a good background so you're not going in blind.

Good luck,
John.

Thank you, goodluck for your gcses. I'm sure my schools doing AQA. I really hope its not maths based. The teacher basically told us we're dumb to our faces and we can't do it. You do paper tests in CS? Or were you talking about maths?
Higher maths isn't hard :tongue: only set 6 at my school don't do it and that's about 5 people. If you enjoy maths and have the drive to succeed then it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Quick Reply

Latest