The Student Room Group

History A-Level coursework (OCR)

Our coursework for history with OCR is on the American civil war, the question is something along the lines of “To what extent during the years 1775-1861 was slavery the main cause of the civil war?”. I’m really struggling with it. Wondering if anyone else has the same or a similar question or if anybody is struggling with their History coursework in general? If anyone’s already done it can they please give me some tips that will impress the marker. I really want to do well in this as its something like 20% of my overall grade and I need it the best it can be.
Original post by nat1999
Our coursework for history with OCR is on the American civil war, the question is something along the lines of “To what extent during the years 1775-1861 was slavery the main cause of the civil war?”. I’m really struggling with it. Wondering if anyone else has the same or a similar question or if anybody is struggling with their History coursework in general? If anyone’s already done it can they please give me some tips that will impress the marker. I really want to do well in this as its something like 20% of my overall grade and I need it the best it can be.

If you want to do well, then you have to do a decent level of research and that might mean reading books on the causes of the civil war.

As you carry out the research group the reasons re slavery and then other reasons. Only that way can you compare the two and answer the to what extent question.

If you want an even higher mark then it will be the quality of your analysis and evaluation plus it wont do you any harm bringing a few more historical opinions in plus some decent facts.

Think about the questions your investigation needs to answer then think about how you wish to structure and present your argument.

Quick Reply

Latest