The Student Room Group

IS THIS FAIR?! (film making)

At the beginning of the semester I chose the roles of writer and editor, which I was equally excited for. For the past few months I have been reading, researching, living and breathing script planning. In our first week back at uni, we got a new guy in our group. He asked to be the writer, so I compromised and said we could collaborate. Today (two weeks later) he claimed that he never knew that I wanted to write too, and basically said that he wanted to write 100% or not at all. My crew then gave me a choice of whether I wanted to be editor or writer. I said editor because otherwise I would have f*** all to do after finishing the script. But I've literally had my writing role torn from me and I'm so upset. I've spoke to the director about it but she just seems to want to appease the new guy. Does the director have final say in things like this? Any opinions/suggestions at all?? :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Reply 2
I just graduated this summer after studying film production for three years, and what this guy did to you is not cool. There are big egos in film, but what he did was both disrespectful and typical. If you and your group appointed you as scriptwriter, editor or whatever role - that role is yours! If changes are made to roles, they should be made unanimously by the group. If I’d have been you and had put so much preparation into my role, honestly, I’d have called him out and stuck to my guns. End of the day, if you want to write, edit, direct or do whichever role, you have to fight for it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending