What Highers to take?

Watch this thread
boynextdoor35
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what highers to take to do Computer Science at university (hopefully Edinburgh)?

I am currently doing National 5 Maths, English, Geography, History, Physics, Modern Studies, Computing and French. I got an A in every prelim except for French where I just passed. I am currently thinking about taking Maths, English, Computing, Physics and Geography for higher. Do these sound like good highers to do for CS? And is higher physics really as hard as some people say it is?

Also is it worth doing community service through the school for a period a week rather than do extra sport for that time to show to a university that I do community service?
K8e.H
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I want to apply for medicine so I am currently doing highers in biology, chemistry, physics, maths and english.
I don’t think physics is all that hard, but I found nat 5 physics quite easy. Higher is similar, but the maths is just harder eg. Instead of using one equation in a question you have to use two, there are more equations to learn and chose from when doing a question. There was only a 2% difference between my nat 5 and higher prelim results. If you work hard, it’s nothing you won’t be able to handle with an A at nat 5 prelim!
I don’t have much knowledge of CS but those look like good highers for the subject! I hope this was helpful, and if you have any questions about any of the other highers I do feel free to ask
boynextdoor35
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by K8e.H)
I want to apply for medicine so I am currently doing highers in biology, chemistry, physics, maths and english.
I don’t think physics is all that hard, but I found nat 5 physics quite easy. Higher is similar, but the maths is just harder eg. Instead of using one equation in a question you have to use two, there are more equations to learn and chose from when doing a question. There was only a 2% difference between my nat 5 and higher prelim results. If you work hard, it’s nothing you won’t be able to handle with an A at nat 5 prelim!
I don’t have much knowledge of CS but those look like good highers for the subject! I hope this was helpful, and if you have any questions about any of the other highers I do feel free to ask
Ok, thanks for the help.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by boynextdoor35)
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what highers to take to do Computer Science at university (hopefully Edinburgh)?

I am currently doing National 5 Maths, English, Geography, History, Physics, Modern Studies, Computing and French. I got an A in every prelim except for French where I just passed. I am currently thinking about taking Maths, English, Computing, Physics and Geography for higher. Do these sound like good highers to do for CS? And is higher physics really as hard as some people say it is?

Also is it worth doing community service through the school for a period a week rather than do extra sport for that time to show to a university that I do community service?
Those highers look more than fine for computing science Higher physics is very much an extension from N5- more equations, more substituting values into them, and some more definitions/explanations

It's not a strict requirement, so not necessarily. I would recommend that you choose whichever of the 2 you will enjoy more, and if you still want to be able to do the other, see what opportunities there are outside school (or in your school after the school day).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (157)
29.79%
It went fairly well (248)
47.06%
It didn't go too well (79)
14.99%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.16%

Watched Threads