student-1911
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Do you guys think taking all three sciences at a level is too hard? I'm willing to put the work in but do you think even then it would be too much? Any opinions are much appreciated
Mb.68-72
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by student-1911)
Do you guys think taking all three sciences at a level is too hard? I'm willing to put the work in but do you think even then it would be too much? Any opinions are much appreciated
Firstly, what do you want to study at Uni? Secondly, yes it is do-able, however i would advise you to not do all sciences as there are no benefits so you need to really begin to think on specifiying to a degree, so if its like Engineering related; do maths in place of bio. On the contrary, if it's bio-chem related, do bio, chem and something that is not physics. This is just my advice and you can wish to do whatever you want. From people i talk to and my experience, this is how i see it.
student-1911
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Mark jam)
Firstly, what do you want to study at Uni? Secondly, yes it is do-able, however i would advise you to not do all sciences as there are no benefits so you need to really begin to think on specifiying to a degree, so if its like Engineering related; do maths in place of bio. On the contrary, if it's bio-chem related, do bio, chem and something that is not physics. This is just my advice and you can wish to do whatever you want. From people i talk to and my experience, this is how i see it.
I think I'd like to do something bio-chem related but I do also have an interest in pursuing medicine and I've heard people who have done physics are kind of preferable to those who haven't. Do you think if I did biology, chemistry and an a level such as ICT I'd still have a good chance at medicine?
Jaustin827
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I thought most Med grads go for Biology Chemistry and Maths tbh
Hadiqa khan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
well A level is hard let me mention physics is really hard as i did a level last year and let me tell u honestly tht after all the hard work i failed nd had to repeat but now i took commerce nd finding it much better than science well it depends on the interest like if u have interest in the subject tht u might end up getting good grades
username3724334
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
From what you've said, you need biology and chemistry. I wouldn't do physics without maths. I have a friend doing all three sciences but she's also doing maths. I imagine that if you don't like maths you won't like physics. Maybe you could take all three sciences and maths and drop physics if you're finding it too hard to do them all?
username3718068
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
its do-able. I did 3 science A level plus maths A level.

From my experience...

doing maths A level did support a lot in A level physics ( eg when you
do differential equations in maths, you will find remembering the equations for radioactivity, electric potential energy etc useful because a lot of these equations are derived from 1st order differential equations. Likewise plotting log-log graphs and using them to solve problems becomes second nature if you do A level maths). Also A level maths helps you a lot in chemistry, when you have to learn the Arrenhious equation, you will realise this is just another differential equation that has been integrated and so you won't have to spend to long memorising it. Rearrranding the arrenhious equation for say, activation energy will become 2nd nature if you do A level maths as well.

doing A level physics also helps you with A level chemistry, for example you may have covered thermodynamics in physics and understanding the principles of internal energy and enthalpy as H = U + PV will help you to understand why we cant measure enthalpy directly but we can measure enthalpy change, in effect delta H (enthalpy change) = Q (heat added to system) which comes from chemical bonds being broken/made.

doing A level chemistry also helps you with A level biology in other ways as well as mentoined above.

To conclude if you do have a passion for sciences then I recommend taking all science A levels. Your passion for sciences will help you overcome the stresses of the A levels. (just make sure you're maths is also kept up to scratch).

If you re more concerned about what the right subjects at uni are, well i guess thats a different matter but for me it wasnt a problem anyway as I had the right subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.32%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.58%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
18.92%

Watched Threads