Really unfair grading, what can I do?

Watch this thread
babyelf13
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi!

I am in the first year of uni (UoL) studying law. I submitted a summative paper which, according to me, was the best one I've written so far. Previously, I averaged from 58 in two essays, 62 in two essays, and 65 in one essay. I was confident this would get higher than any o these essays. I got a 48.

We have two different lecturers that mark these papers. One is really nice with the grading and one is really, unfairly, strict. The people that always get worse scored that me (by a lot) got over 60 because they got marked by the nice lecturer. Everybody else that got marked by the strict ones got under 50 or even a fail.

I am extremely anxious over this grade since law firms look at your grades from first year. I have noticed a very strong correlation between the strict lecturer and bad grades and the less strict and good grades.

I have talked to the school but it is not possible to get an appeal. But if it is this serious, if she truly marks down people because of how unfairly strict she is, is there absolutely nothing one can do??

Please help. I will try to score good in my exam but I'm absolutely broken by this grade and I don't think that my work deserved that...
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Don't seek an appeal. Escalate it as an issue affecting the whole year group, and seek standardised marking methods, testing by cross-referred blind marking. Or just suck it up.
babyelf13
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
Don't seek an appeal. Escalate it as an issue affecting the whole year group, and seek standardised marking methods, testing by cross-referred blind marking. Or just suck it up.
Yeah I'll only suck it up after all the other fails. Thank you though, I'll try that!
Insecable
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Most top universities should have a process for standardising and scrutinising marking. You could ask your personal tutor or someone within the faculty about this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads