Libertygiddins
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So today I thinking about the fact that I have a clear idea of what I want to study at university but I have no idea what I want to do as a job.
I’m in year 12 and I’m studying History Politics and Geography at A Level and I find each of them interesting. I want to study either history and/or politics at university but I have no idea where this would take me, and if I’d even be interested in those career destinations. So many of my friends have a clear career goal and are going to apply to courses that have a career outcome - e.g. medicine. I’m just concerned that I haven’t any idea what I can do with my life after uni - no point in me spending over £9,000 a year to study something that may not even help me to get a job that I want if that makes any sense? Does anyone have any ideas???
username853993
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Libertygiddins)
So today I thinking about the fact that I have a clear idea of what I want to study at university but I have no idea what I want to do as a job.
I’m in year 12 and I’m studying History Politics and Geography at A Level and I find each of them interesting. I want to study either history and/or politics at university but I have no idea where this would take me, and if I’d even be interested in those career destinations. So many of my friends have a clear career goal and are going to apply to courses that have a career outcome - e.g. medicine. I’m just concerned that I haven’t any idea what I can do with my life after uni - no point in me spending over £9,000 a year to study something that may not even help me to get a job that I want if that makes any sense? Does anyone have any ideas???
History and Politics are both academic degrees meaning that they dont really lead to a specific job role, your general options are

- Investment banking, accounting etc (note you need to go to a target/semi target for IB)
- consulting (covers many sectors)
- teaching (in your chosen subject)
- other general grad schemes such as the aldi grad scheme etc

You could also learn a skill programming and go into software development

Note that you should definitely do a summer internship or year in industry during your degree, doing this massively increases your employable and people not doing one of these is one of the main reasons academic subjects (especially BAs like history and politics) get a bad rep for people not getting grad jobs.

There are of course jobs within those subject areas too but they are few and far between relative to the number of people applying to them so even if you want to go for one of those you are best off having a back up option as it is likely you wont get into one

Personally I dont recommend going to do a degree without first having a loose idea of a career you want to go into after that you can gain access to via your degree, as from my personal observations, not having this idea before starting uni is one of the main reasons people regret their subject choice as they get to uni, do a year or 2 of their degree, then start looking for jobs that are open to them and then realise that they hate/dislike all the options they have

Edit: Just had another piece of advice, a lot of six forms and colleges push their students to apply to uni and go even if they dont have any idea of a career they would like to do after. They do this because it looks good if they send more students to university as they can claim they sent a high percentage of their students to uni when advertising for other prospective year 12 students but places/teachers that do this DONT have your best interests in mind, with the exception of dropping out in first year, most people only get one chance of going to uni and choosing a subject to study so make sure you you know about the options open to you carrer wise are after uni as a degree is for 3 years, working life is for 45+ years
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would do some research on careers - what kind of work is involved, the career path, salary, how to achieve success. See what suits your personality and what interests you. There are career tests around, but take the results with a pinch of salt. You could also talk to a careers advisor if you have one available at your school.

After you have formed some ideas, it might be a good idea to look for work experience placements or related volunteering to give you a clearer insight into what one of those careers would be like. It may confirm or correct the ideas you had.

madmax321 gives some great ideas on how to make sure your time at uni is productive, so definitely have a read through. His last point about schools pushing is uni is true. Don't feel pushed to go to uni unless you are sure it is what you want to do. If you are hesitant to, look at other routes such as apprenticeships or take a gap year - it is your time and money, and your future, and you should be the one in control of it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (521)
59.95%
Yes- I don't like it (44)
5.06%
No- I want it (245)
28.19%
No- I don't want it (59)
6.79%

Watched Threads