The Student Room Group

Will my school find out I’ve been diagnosed with depression?

It sounds stupid maybe I’m just being paranoid, but will my school find out if I’ve been diagnosed with depression I’m in sixth form and only my mum knows I went to see the GP, but she wouldn’t tell School.

Is information somehow passed on or?...
Reply 1
Why does it matter? And no I don’t think ur school will find out unless you make it really obvious like idk eat alone or be sad (the mood) 24/7, or unless ur teachers are like detectives which I I guess is pretty unlikely.
Reply 2
No, they have no possible way of accessing your highly confidential medical records.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
It sounds stupid maybe I’m just being paranoid, but will my school find out if I’ve been diagnosed with depression I’m in sixth form and only my mum knows I went to see the GP, but she wouldn’t tell School.

Is information somehow passed on or?...

No. Nobody can have access to your medical records or information without you giving consent (or parent's if you're a child). So unless you or your mother tell school or say school can be told they will not know. There is a possibility they suspect you are having a hard time though.

Telling school could be a good thing because they can give you some support. It could be worth considering talking to school about it and seeing if there's anything they can do to reduce any stress on you. It certainly helped me.

Here's a link that explains confidentiality and medical records:
https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/speaking-to-gp-about-someone-elses-health.aspx
No, they won't be able to find out. However, it could be beneficial to let them know. Maybe one or two of the teachers you trust the most, your head of year maybe, just for extra support if you need it.

Quick Reply

Latest