The Student Room Group

Going into second gear when not at a complete stop in traffic

When approaching a stationary queue of traffic and doing the usual procedure of brake and clutch down in anticipation to stop. If the traffic starts moving, is it ok to then put the car into second gear and give it gas as you release the clutch?
If you aren't at a complete stand still should be fine. If I am at like 5/6mph I sometimes just leave it in second gear to keep moving, but otherwise I go into first gear to make it easier on the engine. Having said that it is fine if down hill even if lower as the car will spontaneously move once you let go of the brake and so will help build momentum.
Reply 2
Original post by charlottenathan
When approaching a stationary queue of traffic and doing the usual procedure of brake and clutch down in anticipation to stop. If the traffic starts moving, is it ok to then put the car into second gear and give it gas as you release the clutch?

The car will struggle if you do this.
My driving instructor has said numerous times: "When coming to a stop, when you put the clutch down, you change gear
I have encountered this a few times, where I'm coming to traffic lights they change, I'm in second, but I slow down and change gear, even if I don't stop.
Given that it is recommended practice to start off from a standstill in second gear when driving in ice and snow, you should have no difficulty in not going lower than second.
Reply 4
It depends on the car and the speed you were doing - most cars are perfectly happy in second gear at 5mph.

What is more important is that you are thinking about such things - it's part of becoming a more experienced driver.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending