The Student Room Group

Arguments about heating - I can't afford to have it on all the time!

Hello!
So I'm in a fairly expensive house this year, but I've set up a budget accordingly, set up internet and set up the cheapest energy tariff so we're spending a set amount each month as an estimate of our yearly gas and electricity usage, so it is easier for us to budget. My housemates are from abroad so asked me to sort it anyway, as I've lived away from home before so have a better (?) idea of how to set things up.

However my housemates keep complaining of how cold it is so we have the heating on for 10 hours a day. This is now taking it's toll, and so we have gone from spending £24 each on gas and electricity (our estimate) to £41 and more. I am getting really worried of how I'm going to afford all this especially as our rent is increasing, plus we have internet and water to pay too. I'm way too hot in the house but I understand that people are likely to feel the cold more than me plus we have sash windows so not very insulated.

I'm working part time to help to afford this but I feel like I'm outnumbered! I'm working hard to sort bills to be cheap, but my housemates don't seem to mind/care as they're parents pay for everything, and their parents have said to them "don't go crazy but live comfortably". I'm getting really stressed sorting all this out, as well as sorting uni work and part time work! Does anyone have any suggestions, or been in similar situations?

Scroll to see replies

Perhaps encourage working out because that will keep your body warm
Reply 2
Original post by Abida.etc
Perhaps encourage working out because that will keep your body warm

Lol I'm the only one that does sport, they both hate it.
Reply 3
Original post by Volibear
How high do you have the heating on at?

It's on a 52°C according to our boiler, I tried turning it down to 46°C but everyone told me it was "unbearable". The minimum is 45°C we can set the thermostat to.
Reply 4
Original post by Volibear
Have you specifically told your flatmates that you won't be able to afford the bills if they get any higher because of the heating?

Yes I did just now, thanks, although it is 2 against 1 :frown: They've now suggested getting electric heaters and energy monitors to try and keep within our estimate or to pay extra. We are slightly over our electricity estimate as well so it's likely they'd have to pay extra. Should I stand my ground and tell them if they're that cold then do that?

I'm literally so hot in the house and have hardly even turned my radiator on, instead just bundled up, so it feels to me more unfair I'm paying extra but I don't know if I'm being petty.
Reply 5
suggest they pay the difference from the 24 to 41 as they are the ones who want it on all the time
Tell them to toughen the **** up or put some more clothes on.
Original post by Tonian88
Hello!
So I'm in a fairly expensive house this year, but I've set up a budget accordingly, set up internet and set up the cheapest energy tariff so we're spending a set amount each month as an estimate of our yearly gas and electricity usage, so it is easier for us to budget. My housemates are from abroad so asked me to sort it anyway, as I've lived away from home before so have a better (?) idea of how to set things up.

However my housemates keep complaining of how cold it is so we have the heating on for 10 hours a day. This is now taking it's toll, and so we have gone from spending £24 each on gas and electricity (our estimate) to £41 and more. I am getting really worried of how I'm going to afford all this especially as our rent is increasing, plus we have internet and water to pay too. I'm way too hot in the house but I understand that people are likely to feel the cold more than me plus we have sash windows so not very insulated.

I'm working part time to help to afford this but I feel like I'm outnumbered! I'm working hard to sort bills to be cheap, but my housemates don't seem to mind/care as they're parents pay for everything, and their parents have said to them "don't go crazy but live comfortably". I'm getting really stressed sorting all this out, as well as sorting uni work and part time work! Does anyone have any suggestions, or been in similar situations?

Why aren't they wearing more layers instead of relying solely on the heating to keep them warm? That would be much cheaper. I get that a poorly-insulated house is difficult to keep heated, but that's all the more reason to not use the heating excessively when the heat will escape all the more easily.

If they insist on having it on, they should pay for it (or the difference as another poster said).
Reply 8
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Why aren't they wearing more layers instead of relying solely on the heating to keep them warm? That would be much cheaper. I get that a poorly-insulated house is difficult to keep heated, but that's all the more reason to not use the heating excessively when the heat will escape all the more easily.

If they insist on having it on, they should pay for it (or the difference as another poster said).

I literally don't get it either, I'm used to wearing thermals and a big dressing gown over everything, but I think they're rich enough not to care about higher bills (or the environment!?!) And have grown in nice warm houses so are used to it. Makes no sense to me as for me it is chucking money out of our *****y sash windows for the sake of being so warm I have to wear a vest top around the house. Each to their own I guess.
Reply 9
1) Say you'll only pay the £24 you can afford. If they want the heating on longer, make them pay for it.
2) Suggest they wear layers etc.
3) If the heating is such an issue, get electric heaters for each room. Agree a flat rate for electricity bills that you'll all pay for; if you use the electric heater in a room you're in, then you contribute some more to the electricity pot. Or something.

Is there a way you can turn off your radiator in your room, so at least in there it's a bit more bearable?
Reply 10
Original post by Scitty
1) Say you'll only pay the £24 you can afford. If they want the heating on longer, make them pay for it.
2) Suggest they wear layers etc.
3) If the heating is such an issue, get electric heaters for each room. Agree a flat rate for electricity bills that you'll all pay for; if you use the electric heater in a room you're in, then you contribute some more to the electricity pot. Or something.

Is there a way you can turn off your radiator in your room, so at least in there it's a bit more bearable?

Thank you for the tips!! I appreciate it! I've tried the more layers but they say it's "unbearable". So I guess we'll have to work out a flat rate.
I've had to manually turn the valve off in my room as it wouldn't turn down enough and it's now bearable for me. At first I was still sweating and having my face blasted with the windows wide open - no idea how they enjoy being that warm lol!
This is such a heated argument.
Tell them that you'll only pay for the services you use; if you have a cool shower and don't use the heating but they expect you to pay toward it equally, they're not that great a set of flatmates :_:
Here's a suggestion if you are the one who sorts all the bills etc: pay your usual amount, and then divide the remaining extra amount between the others!
To be honest it's perfectly reasonable for your housemates not to want to live in a cold house.

It's also reasonable for you not to want to pay for the heating all the time when you don't want to use it.

You should be able to come to some arrangement about the money. It's not that huge a difference in price divided between housemates.
45 degrees Celsius- what that's death valley temperature.
TEN HOURS A DAY?! Wow.
If its any consolation, winter will soon be over. Come April SURELY they'll turn the heating off? If you're paying monthly for it you'll build up a surplus amount of money during the summer months which will help towards the higher heating costs when Winter comes around again towards the end of the year. But I agree with the other posters, see if you can split the bills 20/40/40?
Original post by amibee
TEN HOURS A DAY?! Wow.

Is it really that crazy? It's cold outside 24 hours a day, and it will be cold inside, too, when you don't keep the heating on.

Besides, if you have a thermostat the heating isn't on constantly, only as much as is required to keep the house at the temperature you've picked.

It's not an unreasonable expectation to be warm when you're in your home. Personally, although I get that obviously some people are forced into this situation, I find it really weird that a lot of people are okay with going home and having to protect themselves against the elements, as though the place they're meant to be able to go back to and relax and be comfortable in is actually an outpost in some kind of polar expedition.
Tell them to pay for more of the utility if they're using more of it.

Quick Reply

Latest