Implications of leaving Uni in 2nd year mid way through

Watch
Bernadette04
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My son is a 2nd year and half way through this year right now. He has decided he cannot take university life and the exam treadmill he has been on since he was in Year 9 at school and has announced he wishes to leave Uni right now but to return possibly in September 2019.

He wishes to return and redo the entire 2nd year but his Uni has told him he would have to return in January 2019 at the mid way point he is currently at. He definitely does not want to do this as his grades have been low and he has missed one module. He would prefer to restart his entire 2nd year.

We are in Wales under SFW. Can I ask if he were to quit now, and transfer Uni either in Sept 2018 or Sept 2019 and come in at the start of his 2nd year, would he be funded for tuition fees and maintenance loan or would he need to finance this himself?

Also I am quite appalled his Uni support team did not go through any of the options and the consequences but simply handed him a form to sign to quit now, which will take 2weeks to process. We feel our son is also in denial over his mental health as we have seen him deteriorate since last summer, withdrawing into himself, not going out, and generally not taking care of himself...not eating regularly and not washing his clothes etc so we are mindful of his current state of mental health. Any advice would be most welcome as we are extremely worried about his situation.
Bernadette04
Rep:
?
Can anyone help with this please? Thanks
Bernadette04
Rep:
?
Just wondering if anyone out there could help with this..especially the funding part?
Crystal.97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I recently left university during December 2017 and I was also in my second year. I had decided I wanted to be much closer to home and after a long process of discovering my options managed to get a place at a university closer to home to continue studying the same course but was told I'd have to start second year again in September 2018, which I was completely fine with. I was told by student finance and from my university's support team that I would only have 2 more years of funding available from student finance. With every course that an individual applies for they are eligible for funding for the entire duration of the course along with one extra year of funding, commonly known as a 'gift year', incase the individual decides to delay a year of studying or for personal reasons etc. Therefore, leaving during my second year of a three year course meant I had already received 2 years of funding from student finance (despite only completing one term of second year, it still counted as a full year) and only had 2 years of funding left. For me this works out fine as I have enough funding for the rest of my course at the new university, just means I am uanble to resit any years of my course now. With regards to his mental health, I have been informed by different people from my old university and from student finance that applying for compelling reasons may be useful, and if you can provide evidence that he has had to leave/stop studying due to mental, physical health or bereavement issues then this can be taken into account with regards to the funding available. I'm afraid I don't know the full ins and outs about compelling reasons but I know it exists and may help with the funding issue, I'm sure full information about it can be found on the student finance website. I hope this helps, I'm not entirely sure what the main differences are with student finance England and wales, but my experience has been with student finance England. If you've got any other questions or if I've not explained anything properly feel free to message me, my parents were worried about me leaving and moving university too!
Rona SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bernadette04)
My son is a 2nd year and half way through this year right now. He has decided he cannot take university life and the exam treadmill he has been on since he was in Year 9 at school and has announced he wishes to leave Uni right now but to return possibly in September 2019.

He wishes to return and redo the entire 2nd year but his Uni has told him he would have to return in January 2019 at the mid way point he is currently at. He definitely does not want to do this as his grades have been low and he has missed one module. He would prefer to restart his entire 2nd year.

We are in Wales under SFW. Can I ask if he were to quit now, and transfer Uni either in Sept 2018 or Sept 2019 and come in at the start of his 2nd year, would he be funded for tuition fees and maintenance loan or would he need to finance this himself?

Also I am quite appalled his Uni support team did not go through any of the options and the consequences but simply handed him a form to sign to quit now, which will take 2weeks to process. We feel our son is also in denial over his mental health as we have seen him deteriorate since last summer, withdrawing into himself, not going out, and generally not taking care of himself...not eating regularly and not washing his clothes etc so we are mindful of his current state of mental health. Any advice would be most welcome as we are extremely worried about his situation.
Hi Bernadette,

If a student has to repeat a year of study, or had to suspend/withdraw from their course, we would use their previous study to calculate their future entitlement to funding.

The student may want us to consider their extenuating circumstances when making this calculation, also known as their Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). More information please contact Student Finance Wales,

Tel: 0300 200 4050
(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Local call rates apply).

Thanks Rona
Bernadette04
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crystal.97)
Hi, I recently left university during December 2017 and I was also in my second year. I had decided I wanted to be much closer to home and after a long process of discovering my options managed to get a place at a university closer to home to continue studying the same course but was told I'd have to start second year again in September 2018, which I was completely fine with. I was told by student finance and from my university's support team that I would only have 2 more years of funding available from student finance. With every course that an individual applies for they are eligible for funding for the entire duration of the course along with one extra year of funding, commonly known as a 'gift year', incase the individual decides to delay a year of studying or for personal reasons etc. Therefore, leaving during my second year of a three year course meant I had already received 2 years of funding from student finance (despite only completing one term of second year, it still counted as a full year) and only had 2 years of funding left. For me this works out fine as I have enough funding for the rest of my course at the new university, just means I am uanble to resit any years of my course now. With regards to his mental health, I have been informed by different people from my old university and from student finance that applying for compelling reasons may be useful, and if you can provide evidence that he has had to leave/stop studying due to mental, physical health or bereavement issues then this can be taken into account with regards to the funding available. I'm afraid I don't know the full ins and outs about compelling reasons but I know it exists and may help with the funding issue, I'm sure full information about it can be found on the student finance website. I hope this helps, I'm not entirely sure what the main differences are with student finance England and wales, but my experience has been with student finance England. If you've got any other questions or if I've not explained anything properly feel free to message me, my parents were worried about me leaving and moving university too!

Thank you very much for sharing your situation with me. Our son has now seen a doctor at Uni and been diagnosed with depression which has affected his mental health and lack of motivation symptoms etc. He has now returned home this week after we spoke about all his options with the Uni and they have agreed to suspend his studies and he is now making plans to return to red o his 2nd year in September 2018.Student Finance Wales have now confirmed he will have used up a years funding but will have the 2 years do he needs to complete his degree so all is well there.

Thank you again for your advice it is much appreciated .
Bernadette04
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=Rona SFE;76141162]Hi Bernadette,

If a student has to repeat a year of study, or had to suspend/withdraw from their course, we would use their previous study to calculate their future entitlement to funding.

The student may want us to consider their extenuating circumstances when making this calculation, also known as their Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). More information please contact Student Finance Wales,

Tel: 0300 200 4050
(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Local call rates apply).

Thanks Rona[/QUOTE,

Many thanks for your reply. We have now contacted SFW who have confirmed he will have 2 years funding left to complete his degree so all is fine as he wishes to resume his studies in September 2018.
Thanks again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.82%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.18%

Watched Threads