Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I rooted my Samsung Galaxy s8 today to get around Three not enabling wifi calls on my phone but, despite assurances it wouldn't, it's tripped Knox and thus disabled features like Samsung Pay.

Is there any way of going back to square 1 again and just reinstalling the default software so I can use Samsung Pay again?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by tocitus)
    Hi all,

I rooted my Samsung Galaxy s8 today to get around Three not enabling wifi calls on my phone but, despite assurances it wouldn't, it's tripped Knox and thus disabled features like Samsung Pay.

Is there any way of going back to square 1 again and just reinstalling the default software so I can use Samsung Pay again?
    I don't have a clue when it comes to Android phones, but I'll tag Acsel which should be able to help you out

Moved this into the Mobile phones sub-forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    I don't have a clue when it comes to Android phones, but I'll tag Acsel which should be able to help you out

Moved this into the Mobile phones sub-forum.
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tocitus)
    Hi all,

To my knowledge, nowadays it's not possible to undo the tripping of Knox. If this thread is correct, it physically burns out the fuse on the mobo that checks for Knox. The thread is reporting some methods of rooting without tripping Knox but that's little use if you've already tripped it.

If you don't mind playing around, the guide you used to root should have an unroot section. You can try unrooting the device and flashing the original image back but I don't think you're going to be unable to untrip Knox. Sorry to say you might be out of luck. All I can recommend is to try unrooting and see if you have any luck (XDA is always a good source of info) but it doesn't sound promising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    To my knowledge, nowadays it's not possible to undo the tripping of Knox. If this thread is correct, it physically burns out the fuse on the mobo that checks for Knox. The thread is reporting some methods of rooting without tripping Knox but that's little use if you've already tripped it.

If you don't mind playing around, the guide you used to root should have an unroot section. You can try unrooting the device and flashing the original image back but I don't think you're going to be unable to untrip Knox. Sorry to say you might be out of luck. All I can recommend is to try unrooting and see if you have any luck (XDA is always a good source of info) but it doesn't sound promising.
    It does seem to be very much a 0 or 1 type thing with Knox, shame as I was told a specific method (which I followed) which shouldn't trip out Knox.

Oh well, I found out today that Samsung Pay still works but Android Pay doesn't.

Android Pay is definitely the better service but beggars can't be... and all that.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 3, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.