The Student Room Group

Is the UK Criminal Justice System Fair?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pjm600
I think it's a pretty good argument. Either miscarriages of justice happen, and innocent people are killed by the state, or they don't. You can never, ever, remedy an innocent life taken with capital punishment.

You can't remedy the many more killed by a lack of capital punishment. :dontknow:
i am not sure that bringing back hanging would be a good idea. but some form of execution would help.
Original post by Sabertooth
You can't remedy the many more killed by a lack of capital punishment. :dontknow:

The US has the toughest developed world criminal penalties, and by far the most crime!

Its just how a develop and general attitude towards crime in a specific nations culture not the strength of penalty that reduces crime.
Original post by YaliaV
I've studied the law of evidence and I think that the whole system is a complete farce.

Hahaha, I smell someone on the look out for an easy first. Why on earth would you study evidence?
Nope. No liberal judicial system is ever fair.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
The US has the toughest developed world criminal penalties, and by far the most crime!

Its just how a develop and general attitude towards crime in a specific nations culture not the strength of penalty that reduces crime.

Japan has some of the lowest crime rates in the world and uses the death penalty and Mexico has massive amounts of crime yet no death penalty.
Increase the number of jail time for chavs, too many chavs out here causing trouble for nothing
Chav = Someone below the age of 30, drops out of high school, does crime and is an intimidating ****
And yeah bring back the death penalty for serial killers
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
Japan has some of the lowest crime rates in the world and uses the death penalty and Mexico has massive amounts of crime yet no death penalty.

You just supported my claim, Japan has a society of low crime, mexico a society of high crime that was my main point the punishment the system imposes has little to do with criminal behaviour outcomes.

Japan has a list on wiki of executions carried out, its about 5 a year,

Its roughly 5 a month in the US.

We all know which nation has a higher murder rate.

Mexico is obviously effected through feeding americas drug problem, also has weak gun controls and disorderly society, similar to the US.

Point being: execution does not mean a less dangerous society.
You just supported my claim, Japan has a society of low crime, mexico a society of high crime that was my main point the punishment the system imposes has little to do with criminal behaviour outcomes.

Japan has a list on wiki of executions carried out, its about 5 a year,

Its roughly 5 a month in the US.

We all know which nation has a higher murder rate.

Mexico is obviously effected through feeding americas drug problem, also has weak gun controls and disorderly society, similar to the US.

Point being: execution does not mean a less dangerous society.

That's not the point being made at all. Point could equally be: execution means a less dangerous society. There are clearly outside factors.
(edited 6 years ago)
No,the prison sentences given are laughably short.
Unfortunately, anything with humans involved cannot be perfect. Best thing we can do is have a more representative justice system but it will never be perfect. Doesn't help that people in the said system are not very diverse at all.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Hahaha, I smell someone on the look out for an easy first. Why on earth would you study evidence?

It did help :cool: It's required for a qualifying law degree in Northern Ireland.
Original post by cherryred90s
Naomi Oni?

This teenage only got serviced 5 months in prison for an acid attack

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/10/teenage-musician-jailed-acid-attack-love-rival-faked-poison/
Original post by The RAR
Increase the number of jail time for chavs, too many chavs out here causing trouble for nothing
Chav = Someone below the age of 30, drops out of high school, does crime and is an intimidating ****
And yeah bring back the death penalty for serial killers

I would give ever drug using/drug dealing middle class university student graduation 5 year in prison and 2 years community service working with underprivileged children, young people and a criminal record. They will learn respect for working class people who they look down on and call name like chav.

I would give a person who deals or uses drugs from an underprivileged background training and education they also would not get a criminal record.

The country with the most knife crime in the develop world is Scotland it also has high murder rate as Trinidad
Reply 35
The idea of blanket punishments for crimes, in ones view, is ridiculous. No two crimes are the same and should thus be judged on their individual qualities. i.e. should a man who shoots his daughters rapist be punished the same as someone who shoots someone for their wallet? Absolutely not.
Original post by Napp
The idea of blanket punishments for crimes, in ones view, is ridiculous. No two crimes are the same and should thus be judged on their individual qualities. i.e. should a man who shoots his daughters rapist be punished the same as someone who shoots someone for their wallet? Absolutely not.

Agreed.
However the man shouldn’t even be able to shoot his daughters rapist as the rapist should be in prison. For life.
I feel like some law breakers are punished unfairly especially if they are still young. Already the criminal justice system is becoming quite strict with their prison sentences. Recently I watched a video of a 17 year old being sentenced to life in prison because of a stupid and reckless mistake that they made from being (possibly) peer pressured by others to commit arson. They ended up killing their younger brother. However they were in anguish and were clearly regretted their rash life choices. So what I really have to question is that is it right to sentence a mere adolescent to life in prison for a crime they foolishly committed but instantly regretted?

The harsh arson sentencing may be an example to others not to commit it but I feel as the individuals being sentenced for it suffer far too much. Even if they did end up killing an individual/s, this can still be out of their own stupidity and not their intention. I’m not justifying that this crime is right but I do think that as youngsters we often are naive and gullible and fall trap to the ideas others put in our head. I do think the sentencing of crimes such as arson are unfair even if some actions such as these cannot be justified- they are often the result of naivety which we should learn to forgive, however hard it may be to do so.

Therefore, life in prison cannot be the answer. Instead, another must be found.
(edited 5 years ago)
our prisons are certainly some of the best in west. right? lol
Original post by RPT
In light of recent events, there has been a spiralling debate about the legal system and its sentencing guidelines here in the UK.

There have been repeat cases in the media involving the most serious offences, murder, attempted murder etc and the sentences for these have varied so greatly that there has been great public scrutiny of the judiciary.

Is it fair to say, that two people who commit the same crime, be liable to be sentenced for the same period of time? Should the period of sentence depend on the offenders age? Is it fair to give a more lenient sentence to an offender simply because they are not yet 18?

What is everyone's opinions of the sentencing of offenders in this country? Is real justice really being served?

No, there access to our system is difficult for those that have money, the system is a failure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending