Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Bad handwriting exams - applying for laptop HELP!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im really worried, all 3 of my A level subject teachers have told me my handwriting will probably cost me marks for the actual thing and so told me to use laptops.

However, I have heard that the deadline to apply for this was ages ago and dont think that this is possible. Can someone please clarify this please? Im sitting my a levels in June

I am really really worried that this will cost me marks, thanks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is probably something you'll want to clarify with your college, they'll be able to tell you if you are still able to apply or not.

If you are worried that it'll cost you marks, have you tried improving your handwriting? Unless there's a legitimate condition that means you struggle to write coherently, it's not exactly fair to give you a laptop. Unless there's a real reason, you need to practice your handwriting rather than relying on a technological crutch.

The deadline may have passed now but it’s worth discussing urgently with your head of year or exam officers at your college/sixth form. I applied for both extra time and a laptop about a week ago and found out yesterday that I will be using a laptop for all my A-Level exams.
    Your teachers clearly support you using one and I’m sure they will do everything in their power to ensure you are able to use one. So yeah, if the deadline has passed it can’t have been long ago (at the most a week) and because it’s not much over the deadline you should still be able to get it - id be surprised if not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    This is probably something you'll want to clarify with your college, they'll be able to tell you if you are still able to apply or not.

If you are worried that it'll cost you marks, have you tried improving your handwriting? Unless there's a legitimate condition that means you struggle to write coherently, it's not exactly fair to give you a laptop. Unless there's a real reason, you need to practice your handwriting rather than relying on a technological crutch.
    Thanks for the response. I have dysgraphia and ADD which is why I've always struggled with handwriting. I have practiced and practiced but although I can write well at first my hand gets very painful after 1 / 2 hours so my writing degenerates.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by LaMemeDeDank)
    Thanks for the response. I have dysgraphia and ADD which is why I've always struggled with handwriting. I have practiced and practiced but although I can write well at first my hand gets very painful after 1 / 2 hours so my writing degenerates.
    Is this the first time you've sought a laptop for an exam then? Even if the deadline has passed you should still be entitled to a laptop (or extra time) if it's due to a medical condition. Make sure you've got evidence and push for it. If you've never tried to get a laptop before you might have to fight for it a bit, especially since they would have expected you to be on top of this sort of thing but I see no reason why you aren't entitled to support of some sort. Even if you don't get a laptop but get extra time it's something. But you need to speak to someone relevant as soon as possible, ideally go and discuss it first thing Monday morning.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.