Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently did my interview for theoretical physics at UoM. I loved getting to see the university and the city and am really eager to go there, so I prepared very thoroughly for my interview and looked over all the physics I had covered in my work experiences. When I actually did the interview, I barely got asked any questions. The only thing I got asked is what the electric field lines look like when you have two positive charges next to each other (which IMO is very rudimentary) and what would happen if I moved the charges - to which I said a magnetic field would be 'created'. And the only reason we were even talking about electric fields is because I said that is what I had just been doing in school yesterday - so it's not like he was stretching my knowledge in any way. Everyone else I know who did an interview there got at least one difficult question where they had to use some amount of maths or physics. The interviewer didn't ask me about any of my work experience (which was in astrophysics) and just asked me which subject I like the most.I just felt the interview was far too chilled out and I could have handled being probed a lot more than he did. I really liked the interviewer, I'm just slightly disappointed that I didn't get to show any of my skills in maths or physics and felt he could have at least given me something to fully show what I can do. Did anyone have any similar experiences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayelike)
    I recently did my interview for theoretical physics at UoM. I loved getting to see the university and the city and am really eager to go there, so I prepared very thoroughly for my interview and looked over all the physics I had covered in my work experiences. When I actually did the interview, I barely got asked any questions. The only thing I got asked is what the electric field lines look like when you have two positive charges next to each other (which IMO is very rudimentary) and what would happen if I moved the charges - to which I said a magnetic field would be 'created'. And the only reason we were even talking about electric fields is because I said that is what I had just been doing in school yesterday - so it's not like he was stretching my knowledge in any way. Everyone else I know who did an interview there got at least one difficult question where they had to use some amount of maths or physics. The interviewer didn't ask me about any of my work experience (which was in astrophysics) and just asked me which subject I like the most.I just felt the interview was far too chilled out and I could have handled being probed a lot more than he did. I really liked the interviewer, I'm just slightly disappointed that I didn't get to show any of my skills in maths or physics and felt he could have at least given me something to fully show what I can do. Did anyone have any similar experiences?
    My theoretical physics interview was quite hard and mathematical- I had to justify that bonds in a lattice could be modelled as hookian springs in the end which I couldn't do haha. I think it's just luck of the draw who ends up interviewing you and what their style is. Considering that everyone who goes to the interview is given an offer, it's not the end of the world if you couldn't properly show off your abilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    My theoretical physics interview was quite hard and mathematical- I had to justify that bonds in a lattice could be modelled as hookian springs in the end which I couldn't do haha. I think it's just luck of the draw who ends up interviewing you and what their style is. Considering that everyone who goes to the interview is given an offer, it's not the end of the world if you couldn't properly show off your abilities.
    What at an interesting question, atleast I didn't get that one though haha. The reason I wanted to perform well in the interview was because some of my friends had received reduced offers after answering the questions posed correctly. I suppose I'll just have to go for the a*a*a grades then D:

ReputationRep:
    I was a really simple projectile motion question and what a sixth form was...

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.