Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can't Afford Uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have some concerns about university prices. With my student loan, I should be given around £4,750 a year, and have been granted a scholarship for £1,375 a year. My concerns are that I won't be able to afford to stay at the university. I originally had planned on going to St Andrews but seeing their accommodation and housing prices it seems unlikely, and so I'm thinking of accepting my Edinburgh offer and staying there for cheaper prices. However, the cheapest accommodation would be £2491, meaning I'd have £3634 to live on for food, books, etc. Is this enough to live on and help my studies at university? Also, would £2000 be enough to live on (if I wanted a better accommodation), but without having to eat 1 tin of food a day?

Also, I've looked for scholarships but I don't seem eligible for any of them - same with bursaries. Also, I'll be studying English Lit. Any advice is appreciated!!

Thank you!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Lilligant22)
    Hi,

I have some concerns about university prices. With my student loan, I should be given around £4,750 a year, and have been granted a scholarship for £1,375 a year. My concerns are that I won't be able to afford to stay at the university. I originally had planned on going to St Andrews but seeing their accommodation and housing prices it seems unlikely, and so I'm thinking of accepting my Edinburgh offer and staying there for cheaper prices. However, the cheapest accommodation would be £2491, meaning I'd have £3634 to live on for food, books, etc. Is this enough to live on and help my studies at university? Also, would £2000 be enough to live on (if I wanted a better accommodation), but without having to eat 1 tin of food a day?

Also, I've looked for scholarships but I don't seem eligible for any of them - same with bursaries. Also, I'll be studying English Lit. Any advice is appreciated!!

Thank you!
    I had a larger loan but more expensive accommodation when I was at uni but i was pretty comfortable on £70 which is what you would have left for the cheapest accommodation. £2k left is £40 a week which could be a struggle, unless you stay in halls the whole of your degree you'll have to share a bathroom at some point so there's no reason not to live in the cheapest halls really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I had a larger loan but more expensive accommodation when I was at uni but i was pretty comfortable on £70 which is what you would have left for the cheapest accommodation. £2k left is £40 a week which could be a struggle, unless you stay in halls the whole of your degree you'll have to share a bathroom at some point so there's no reason not to live in the cheapest halls really.

Thanks for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilligant22)
    Hi,

Thank you!
    Hey, I'm currently a student at St Andrews!

Definitely don't let cost be a factor in dissuading you from attending the university you want to attend. Have you considered emailing the university's scholarships departments at st andrews and explaining your situation? They're really friendly and easy to talk to. I'm aware of the accommodation award which totals £1,500 per year of study and that the cheapest accommodation at st andrews is around £5.2k so your accommodation would be £3.7k. I know that this is still far above Edinburgh's cheapest accommodation, but work is very easy to come into at st andrews. The university also pays the living wage and is flexible with its hours.

I currently budget around £65 a week for st andrews, ~£30 for food =, £10 for going out and then the rest for anything else (e.g. utility bills etc.)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You may find you don't really need any books.

ReputationRep:
    This may sound crazy but you could get a part time job?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.