The Student Room Group

Uni seems so pointless

Someone pls tell me what motivates them at uni. I used to be so engaged with education in general and smashed my a levels but since then its just been downhill, I hate the uni working environment and am doing so badly in my assignments. I know first year 'doesnt count' but for someone who used to do really well at a level suddenly to have no motivation or will to do it makes me so disappointed in myself. I know for a fact that no matter how hard I work there's going to be people who do much much better than me and have fun and a great social life at the same time, while I just can't get on top of things so would should I even try
Original post by Lanya678
Someone pls tell me what motivates them at uni. I used to be so engaged with education in general and smashed my a levels but since then its just been downhill, I hate the uni working environment and am doing so badly in my assignments. I know first year 'doesnt count' but for someone who used to do really well at a level suddenly to have no motivation or will to do it makes me so disappointed in myself. I know for a fact that no matter how hard I work there's going to be people who do much much better than me and have fun and a great social life at the same time, while I just can't get on top of things so would should I even try

1. People enjoy what they study and want to do well in it
2. People want to do a career that requires a degree to gain entry to it so need to do well
3. some people feel peer pressure to work hard and do well
4. probs some more reasons but these are the main ones I think

also if you have the attitude you have in the last sentence you will never do anything in life
(edited 6 years ago)
Obviously I don't know you, your situation or the subjects you're taking, but you might want to consider changing your degree, if it's not too late. I started doing English and History and I think I'll probably drop history before I reach Honours, (4 year degree so first two years don't count), because I don't feel the satisfaction I did when I was on IB or GCSE's. Things are just different at this level so you need to find something that you can stick with and do well in because at the end of the day it is so much money to waste if you're going to hate it for 3-4 years.

I really hope you feel more motivated soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest