Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi ,i was thinking to pick these subjects 3 sciences , spanish rs and sociology however some1 told me this:"you need to have either geography or history to go to a really good uni" i just wanted to known if this is true

ReputationRep:
    Not true but I would recommend taking one; however, I believe that isn't true whatsoever especially since it's just GCSEs.
    You already have a humanity so it shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Unless you want to do History or Geography at A Level/uni, you don’t. They only care about the grades rather than the subjects you get them in.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by error405)
    hi ,i was thinking to pick these subjects 3 sciences , spanish rs and sociology however some1 told me this:"you need to have either geography or history to go to a really good uni" i just wanted to known if this is true
    Sociology is amazing, Spanish is amazing, rs is boring at first but becomes really interesting when you start to learn about LGBT and triple science I good to have. All of my friends who do georgohy or/and history HATE THEM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth286)
    Sociology is amazing, Spanish is amazing, rs is boring at first but becomes really interesting when you start to learn about LGBT and triple science I good to have. All of my friends who do georgohy or/and history HATE THEM
    is it true that in sociology you need to be really good at english?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a lot of bad things about sociology. EBacc would help you which means yes, you would need History or Geo, but it isn't necessary at all unless you want to continue with either. GCSE options don't matter too much as long as you do well and get the grades needed for your A-Levels!

ReputationRep:
    I think sociology would be a great option as it’s in the same sort of sector as history/geography, personally I love history gcse but you should check out what periods of history you would be studying, you might find it interesting! Rs is a good subject choice as it is personally one of the easiest gcses. I think Spanish is a struggle but it always looks good to have a language. Ultimately just choose what you find interesting and don’t worry too much about uni as they mostly concentrate on your alevels not GCSEs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conniestitution)
    I've heard a lot of bad things about sociology. EBacc would help you which means yes, you would need History or Geo, but it isn't necessary at all unless you want to continue with either. GCSE options don't matter too much as long as you do well and get the grades needed for your A-Levels!
    Like what? There’s no bad things about sociology gcse it’s so interesting, fairly easy to get an A* and improves essay writings. It’s a levels that sociology isn’t as highly regarded as it’s not fascilitating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by error405)
    is it true that in sociology you need to be really good at english?
    Yes and no. I’m getting 5’s (equivalent to C’s) and I get A’s and A*’s and am sitting my GCSEs in a few months. It doesn’t matter about being good as English as long as you know the information the English aspect only comes in on the few 12 markers where you have to write PEAS but it’s not hard aslong as you learn how to write them! Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no. I’m getting 5’s (equivalent to C’s) and I get A’s and A*’s and am sitting my GCSEs in a few months. It doesn’t matter about being good as English as long as you know the information the English aspect only comes in on the few 12 markers where you have to write PEAS but it’s not hard aslong as you learn how to write them! Hope this helps
    By PEAS I mean questions like ‘discuss how far sociologists would agree that social class has an impact on a child’s educational success’

ReputationRep:
    Like what? There’s no bad things about sociology gcse it’s so interesting, fairly easy to get an A* and improves essay writings. It’s a levels that sociology isn’t as highly regarded as it’s not fascilitating
    To be fair I have only heard critical things about the A Level, but the two people I know who took it at A Level utterly hated it and one dropped it within 6 months without even sticking through until the AS to drop it. The other only took 3 subjects so was stuck with it.

ReputationRep:
    No, it isn't. You have good academic subjects and they will be fine as long as you enjoy them and are good at them. (Take this from someone who asked Oxford University the same question.)

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.