Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey

I'm currently in year 11 and my exams start in 3 months so I may as well start this thread now in order to monitor my progress and see if I get what I'm hoping for... the real intensity begins now

Completed Qualifications:

Spoiler:
    Show

RE (Edexcel) - A*
    Maths (AQA) - 9

What I'd like to get this year:

Spoiler:
    Show

Maths (New Spec A level) - A*
    English Language - 9
    English Literature - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Biology - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Physics - 9
    Computer Science - 9
    French - 9
    Psychology - A*

Class tests:

Spoiler:
    Show

Biology - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Physics - 9
    Computer Science - 9 (95.5% across 7 tests/10)
    English Language - 9 (real boundaries)
    English Literature - 9
    French - N/A
    Psychology - A*

Extra stuff:

Spoiler:
    Show

Love Maths and Science. I took the UKMT SMC this year as well as the IMC challenge. This week (March 12th commencing), I'll be taking part in the IMOK Maclaurin Olympiad and the GCSE Physics Olympiad.

What I want to do:

Spoiler:
    Show

I'd like to take Physics and Chemistry for A level. An admission guy from Imperial has also invited me this year and next year to have access to some sort of program Imperial has (I think?) where they introduce you to higher Maths covered in first year undergrad. e.g. lagrange transform, partial differentiation, etc. It's an online course so I'll be doing that in sixth form too. I'd like to do Maths at uni - ideally Cambridge but I've heard it's extremely hard to get into.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    Hey

I'm currently in year 11 and my exams start in 3 months so I may as well start this thread now in order to monitor my progress and see if I get what I'm hoping for... the real intensity begins now

Spoiler:
    Show

RE (Edexcel) - A*
    Maths (AQA) - 9

Spoiler:
    Show

Maths (C1-C4, S1-M1) - A*
    Further Maths (FP1-FP3, S2, M2-M3) - A*
    English Language - 9
    English Literature - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Biology - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Physics - 9
    Computer Science - 9
    French - 9
    Psychology - A*

Class tests:

Spoiler:
    Show

Biology - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Physics - 9
    Computer Science - 9 (100% on all 4 tests so far)
    English Language - 8
    English Literature - 8
    French - 6+
    Psychology - A*

Extra stuff:

Spoiler:
    Show

I really enjoy Maths and Sciences. I have taken the UKMT Senior Maths Challenge earlier this year and just took the IMC. I'm hopefully going to participate in the Maclaurin Olympiad and the GCSE Physics Challenge.

What I want to do:

Spoiler:
    Show

I'd like to take Physics and Chemistry for A level. An admission guy from Imperial has also invited me this year and next year to have access to some sort of program Imperial has (I think?) where they introduce you to higher Maths covered in first year undergrad. e.g. lagrange transform, partial differentiation, etc. It's an online course so I'll be doing that in sixth form too. I'd like to do Maths at uni - ideally Cambridge but I've heard it's extremely hard to get into.

Stress:

Spoiler:
    Show

I'm finding this year's workload overwhelmingly stupendous. I find myself cramming for tests at 2 AM before waking to 6 at 6:30. The workload for the remaining 3 months will be excruciating but I think it'll be worth it following the more relaxed times in sixth form.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Watch out guys we have a bangout over here

ReputationRep:
    The workload for the remaining 3 months will be excruciating but I think it'll be worth it following the more relaxed times in sixth form.
    I don't know what subjects you'll be doing in sixth form, but it might be more stressful than year 11 man lol

ReputationRep:
    Any tips on how to get a 9 in Maths?
    I'm also in year 11 and I'm always like 1 or 2 marks off a 9 in tests

Maths at Cambridge? One of my choices for the future too I'm also considering Physics and Chemistry A level, plus Maths and Further Maths.

If you make a tag list be sure to add me!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ozmo19)
    I don't know what subjects you'll be doing in sixth form, but it might be more stressful than year 11 man lol
    That's completely true but I find revising subjects that I don't like really hard to be honest and plus 6 full subjects with double of them etc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by no real roots)
    Any tips on how to get a 9 in Maths?
    I'm also in year 11 and I'm always like 1 or 2 marks off a 9 in tests

Maths at Cambridge? One of my choices for the future too I'm also considering Physics and Chemistry A level, plus Maths and Further Maths.

If you make a tag list be sure to add me!
    Practice, practice, practice.

To get a 9:
    - learn all the content and complete mathswatch interactive questions
    - complete CGP workbook + CGP grade 9 targeted workbook
    - complete mathsgenie worksheets
    - complete mathsmadeeasy worksheets (for extra practice)
    - complete justmaths worksheets
    - complete past papers (from both AQA/Edexcel)
    - complete specimen/mock/practice papers (from both AQA/Edexcel)
    - complete CrashMaths/Churchill/Grade 9 paper

That's overkill but good to ensure maximum grade! And thanks - good luck with that 9, I'm sure you'll get it!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Muzeah)
    Watch out guys we have a bangout over here
    I mean this is thestudentroom whereby people want to bang out academics xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozmo19)
    He's doing a-levels already.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing C1 is going to be your easiest exam this year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AddQ7)
    I'm guessing C1 is going to be your easiest exam this year.
    Either that or Computing (thank God the NEA is cancelled).

ReputationRep:
    Either that or Computing (thank God the NEA is cancelled).
    Well for me (OCR) it's not cancelled, but doesn't apply to the final grade.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Spoiler:
    Show

RE (Edexcel) - A*
    Maths (AQA) - 9

Spoiler:
    Show

Maths (C1-C4, S1-M1) - A*
    Further Maths (FP1-FP3, S2, M2-M3) - A*
    English Language - 9
    English Literature - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Biology - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Physics - 9
    Computer Science - 9
    French - 9
    Psychology - A*

Class tests:

Spoiler:
    Show

Biology - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Physics - 9
    Computer Science - 9 (100% on all 4 tests so far)
    English Language - 8
    English Literature - 8
    French - 6+
    Psychology - A*

Extra stuff:

Spoiler:
    Show

I really enjoy Maths and Sciences. I have taken the UKMT Senior Maths Challenge earlier this year and just took the IMC. I'm hopefully going to participate in the Maclaurin Olympiad and the GCSE Physics Challenge.

What I want to do:

Spoiler:
    Show

Stress:

Spoiler:
    Show

I'm finding this year's workload overwhelmingly stupendous. I find myself cramming for tests at 2 AM before waking to 6 at 6:30. The workload for the remaining 3 months will be excruciating but I think it'll be worth it following the more relaxed times in sixth form.

I mean, you can fail half your GCSE subjects and Cambridge, Imperial probably wouldn't care. I believe a 6 in English is the only thing Imperial care about when it comes to GCSEs.

When you apply, you're probably gonna have to get 3A* at A Level for both and 1,1 in STEP for Cambridge and a good MAT score for Imperial. They prioritise Sixth form performance a lot more.

Obviously don't bomb your A Levels in case you change your mind about the uni or course; it's a just a lil FYI.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AddQ7)
    Well for me (OCR) it's not cancelled, but doesn't apply to the final grade.
    I do OCR too - it doesn't count so my teacher said we shouldn't do it and focus on the theory.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    I mean, you can fail half your GCSE subjects and Cambridge, Imperial probably wouldn't care. I believe a 6 in English is the only thing Imperial care about when it comes to GCSEs.

When you apply, you're probably gonna have to get 3A* at A Level for both and 1,1 in STEP for Cambridge and a good MAT score for Imperial. They prioritise Sixth form performance a lot more.

Obviously don't bomb your A Levels in case you change your mind about the uni or course; it's a just a lil FYI.
    Yeah that's true others have told me that GCSEs don't really matter for those unis but I'm not entirely 100% sure of which uni/course I will take hence my motivation to do well across the board (if I end up doing something else for example). Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Practice, practice, practice.

To get a 9:
    - learn all the content and complete mathswatch interactive questions
    - complete CGP workbook + CGP grade 9 targeted workbook
    - complete mathsgenie worksheets
    - complete mathsmadeeasy worksheets (for extra practice)
    - complete justmaths worksheets
    - complete past papers (from both AQA/Edexcel)
    - complete specimen/mock/practice papers (from both AQA/Edexcel)
    - complete CrashMaths/Churchill/Grade 9 paper

That's overkill but good to ensure maximum grade! And thanks - good luck with that 9, I'm sure you'll get it!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Jesus your grades are solid, if you don't get into Cambridge then i have absolutely no chance.
    I found your maths break down to get a 9 really useful, could you do one on some other subjects like sciences and English?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Keslo)
    Jesus your grades are solid, if you don't get into Cambridge then i have absolutely no chance.
    I found your maths break down to get a 9 really useful, could you do one on some other subjects like sciences and English?
    Glad to be of help! I'll write some up for English and Science and reply with them again when I'm done. What exam boards do you do?

ReputationRep:
    Glad to be of help! I'll write some up for English and Science and reply with them again when I'm done. What exam boards do you do?
    I do AQA and am I am currently am sitting at a level 7. Maths is the only thing I am good at. :s

ReputationRep:
    Geez man I'm envious of your work ethic! I'll be watching this thread, excited to see how the year goes for you! Well done on your progress so far!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.