Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    Wow, interesting. You have quite a lot of clever people in your school. I’m seriously wondering what school you go to. Do you know what you want to do for A-Levels?
    I'm thinking double maths, economics and either physics or psychology cos i want to take economics up to degree level. wbu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb)
    I'm thinking double maths, economics and either physics or psychology cos i want to take economics up to degree level. wbu?
    Nice, good choices. I’m doing Chemistry, Physics and Maths but will drop Chemistry to self study Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    Hey

I'm currently in year 11 and my exams start in 3 months so I may as well start this thread now in order to monitor my progress and see if I get what I'm hoping for... the real intensity begins now

Completed Qualifications:

Spoiler:
    Show

RE (Edexcel) - A*
    Maths (AQA) - 9

What I'd like to get this year:

Spoiler:
    Show

Maths (C1-C4, S1-M1) - A*
    Further Maths (FP1-FP3, S2, M2-M3) - A*
    English Language - 9
    English Literature - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Biology - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Physics - 9
    Computer Science - 9
    French - 9
    Psychology - A*

Class tests:

Spoiler:
    Show

Biology - 9
    Chemistry - 9
    Physics - 9
    Computer Science - 9 (100% on all 4 tests so far)
    English Language - 8
    English Literature - 8
    French - 6+
    Psychology - A*

Extra stuff:

Spoiler:
    Show

I really enjoy Maths and Sciences. I have taken the UKMT Senior Maths Challenge earlier this year and just took the IMC. I'm hopefully going to participate in the Maclaurin Olympiad and the GCSE Physics Challenge.

What I want to do:

Spoiler:
    Show

I'd like to take Physics and Chemistry for A level. An admission guy from Imperial has also invited me this year and next year to have access to some sort of program Imperial has (I think?) where they introduce you to higher Maths covered in first year undergrad. e.g. lagrange transform, partial differentiation, etc. It's an online course so I'll be doing that in sixth form too. I'd like to do Maths at uni - ideally Cambridge but I've heard it's extremely hard to get into.

Stress:

Spoiler:
    Show

I'm finding this year's workload overwhelmingly stupendous. I find myself cramming for tests at 2 AM before waking to 6 at 6:30. The workload for the remaining 3 months will be excruciating but I think it'll be worth it following the more relaxed times in sixth form.

Very good grades! May I ask, how do you revise? Do you just make notes and then test yourself on a topic?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, interesting. You have quite a lot of clever people in your school. I’m seriously wondering what school you go to. Do you know what you want to do for A-Levels?
    We go to Chelsea Academy. It's meh in reality. Not too shabby. Not the worst but not the best either. I want to do Maths, Physics, economics/biology and if I get a 8/9 I will do further maths. I'm still not 100% sure about econ and bio though. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihatelife2)
    We go to Chelsea Academy. It's meh in reality. Not too shabby. Not the worst but not the best either. I want to do Maths, Physics, economics/biology and if I get a 8/9 I will do further maths. I'm still not 100% sure about econ and bio though. What about you?
    Oh right. Good choices. I’m sure you can get a 9, if you don’t know anything ask your fellow classmates. I’m doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry but am going to drop Chemistry to do Further Maths by myself.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. Good choices. I’m sure you can get a 9, if you don’t know anything ask your fellow classmates. I’m doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry but am going to drop Chemistry to do Further Maths by myself.
    That's actually really impressive. I could never do Chemistry, I suck at it sooo much.
    I could never teach myself a whole qualification, maybe in the future. When I think about it, I realise how clever you have to be to do that. I have no idea how Ali had the crazy level of dedication and resilience to be able to teach himself GCSE maths at such a young age, let alone A level Maths and frigging further maths!!! That just blows my mind.

ReputationRep:
    That's actually really impressive. I could never do Chemistry, I suck at it sooo much.
    I could never teach myself a whole qualification, maybe in the future. When I think about it, I realise how clever you have to be to do that. I have no idea how Ali had the crazy level of dedication and resilience to be able to teach himself GCSE maths at such a young age, let alone A level Maths and frigging further maths!!! That just blows my mind.
    Yeah Chemistry is hard. You must have dedication in order to carry on working and to thrive as well. Ali must have so much in order to do this since not many people do it. I doubt many people who study Maths at Cambridge done this, so I definitely think he’ll get into Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Chemistry is hard. You must have dedication in order to carry on working and to thrive as well. Ali must have so much in order to do this since not many people do it. I doubt many people who study Maths at Cambridge done this, so I definitely think he’ll get into Cambridge.
    If he and @thegamecrusher don't get into Cambridge I will fight whoever is in charge of Cambridge. They better accept them. Or else they will face my wrath... You get the idea. They will surely accept Ali.

ReputationRep:
    If he and @thegamecrusher don't get into Cambridge I will fight whoever is in charge of Cambridge. They better accept them. Or else they will face my wrath... You get the idea. They will surely accept Ali.
    There's been some rigged decisions this year 😂.

ReputationRep:
    It's the better subject for engineering anyway

ReputationRep:
    Haha true! Don’t worry, they’ll definitely get their place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    There's been some rigged decisions this year 😂.
    shhhh... No one saw this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    It's the better subject for engineering anyway
    True.

ReputationRep:
    shhhh... No one saw this...
    I say this on account of someone getting into NatSci with Chem, Maths and Econ IIRC. NatSci is going to be restricted as hell for him/her

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Thank you so much for your advice! Will be implementing them I was wondering, did your school provide you with a mygcsescience login?

It looks really helpful!

For science:

Resources:

- mygcsescience
    - chemsheets subscription
    - CGP workbook and revision guide
    - Chemistry: https://www.youtube.com/user/MaChemGuy/playlists
    - Physics: https://www.youtube.com/user/DrPhysicsA

What to do:

- watch mygcsescience video on topic x and complete their worksheet
    - watch topic x video on machemguy/drphysicsa (for chem/phys)
    - complete chemsheets topic sheets (for chem)
    - go to your revision guide and read the extra information not included
    - complete revision guide questions at bottom of page + end of topic
    - complete CGP workbook questions
    - complete past paper questions on topic x
    - complete new spec questions on topic x (specimen/ask teacher)

English:

Resources:

https://docs.google.com/presentation...db289179e_0_65
    - https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff/featured
    - http://thebicesterschool.org.uk/wp-c...rt-Booklet.pdf
    - https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...748E8C9497D753
    - http://www.poetryessay.co.uk/aqa-pow...ict-poems.html
    - http://www.carshaltonboys.org/_site/...025C60DDA1.pdf

English Lit:

- watch MrBruff videos for quotes; context; analysis (and make notes)
    - read these as well as his sample paragraphs
    - write sample paragraphs to main topics of plays e.g. social responsibility, character essays for AIC
    - get your teacher to mark these (write as many as you can for each main topic of a play/book)

English Lang:

- watch Mr Bruff videos for Lang paper 1/2; his grammar playlist (be able to identify adverbial phrases; concrete/abstract/proper nouns; dynamic, active, emotive, onomatopoeic verbs etc (and learn techniques)
    - practice writing paragraphs for questions 1/2/3/4 and section B (creative writing; persuasive stuff etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afrina)
    Hey!

Thank you so much for your advice! Will be implementing them I was wondering, did your school provide you with a mygcsescience login?

It looks really helpful!

schools don't provide a login for mygcsescience, you have to buy it yourself. If they had some sort of VLE like mathswatch, Sam learning etc... then schools would definitely buy it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Oh god reading this read makes me feel like i'm doing nothing with around 1 hour a day!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah ahaa no one does OCR 21st century. I do OCR Computing too which I think is a pretty easy subject with revision (the questions asked are straightforward e.g. explain this, define this so if you revise it, you're set - well done on that 9!).

Yeah science there's a lot of content. I just read the guide and do questions. I haven't done any notes/flashcards for anything throughout the year but I may start now for Computing. I use mygcsescience and then my CGP guide for science which I'm finding pretty good.
    Wait do you pay for mygcsesscience by yourself or does your school give it to you? And also I couldn’t find OCR 21st century on there, they only have OCR Gateway.Name:  22EFE17D-1BBC-429E-BC59-C971EAEEBE7C.jpg.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  21.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peeked)
    Wait do you pay for mygcsesscience by yourself or does your school give it to you? And also I couldn’t find OCR 21st century on there, they only have OCR Gateway.Name:  22EFE17D-1BBC-429E-BC59-C971EAEEBE7C.jpg.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  21.2 KB
    You have to pay yourself(wish the school could though). I do OCR 21st Century as well and on MyGCSEscience, AQA is the closest to it. OCR Gateway is really different to 21st Century.

ReputationRep:
    You have to pay yourself(wish the school could though). I do OCR 21st Century as well and on MyGCSEscience, AQA is the closest to it. OCR Gateway is really different to 21st Century.
    So you use the AQA one? Is it useful?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.