Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck with a thermal conductivity problem that I cannot get my head around. It's a bit different to examples I've already worked through and it's completely thrown me.

"Two identical brass plates, each 5mm thick are separated by a rubber spacer of thickness 1mm which has the same cross-sectional area. If the outer surfaces of the brass plates are kept at 0°C and 100°C respectively, calculate the temperature either side of the rubber spacer given that the thermal conductivity of brass is 100 W m^-1 K^-1, which is 490 times bigger than that of rubber"

I'm struggling because all the examples I've worked with before are just two pieces of material joined together where I usually have to find the temp. at the join.

They usually go: Hot temp > material 1 > material 2 > cold temp

But here I have three pieces where one is sandwiched between two others.

So now I have: Hop temp > material 1 > material 2 > material 1 > cold temp.

I've previously used the formula:

-k1 * A * (T - T1) / x1 = -k2 * A * (T2 - T) / x2

where T is the joining point of two materials, T1 is hot end and T2 is cold end.

A = area which I think for my question is not needed as they are all equal so could just use any value as it cancels out.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.