Turn on thread page Beta

Antidepressant problems watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So someone I know asked me how I was and I told them that things aren't good and that I started taking antidepressants. I then proceeded to tell then how I'm not getting enjoyment out of anything to which they responsed that " I thought they made you happy". This response made me worry that so many people out there think people with depression can just take a drug and then suddenly will be " happy" again. I want to tell people my situation but it seems like people don't understand and it's making me feel very isolated

ReputationRep:
    Tabloid headlines about "happy pills" contribute to this.

ReputationRep:
    That is exactly what I thought before I was prescribed with antidepressants, then I started reading more about how they work and what depression actually is. Took me time to realize how bad really I was then.
    It is hard to explain people what depression is and that depressed people can actually seem and even feel very happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathy89)
    That is exactly what I thought before I was prescribed with antidepressants, then I started reading more about how they work and what depression actually is. Took me time to realize how bad really I was then.
    It is hard to explain people what depression is and that depressed people can actually seem and even feel very happy.
    For me I am just not feeling like my ' normal' self. Simple things like mustering the motivation to get out of bed in the morning or wanting to do anything vaguely ' fun' are now very difficult and so I am just hoping that the drugs will help me reach some level of normality where I can go about my day and not feel so void of emotions.

ReputationRep:
    There's this perception that they're "happy pills" but realistically they just enable you to function properly

ReputationRep:
    Depression is so weird you don't necessarily feel sad all the time, hell occasionally you might even kind of feel vaguely happy in a depressed kinda way when doing something that REALLY floats your boat. My experience of depression is getting further and further down a hole and often you're too deep to even realise how deep you've gone in a matter of weeks or even days. Depression is the grey tint on everything even if your own little voice in your head can see things for how they are. I don't know if anyone else here has experienced this but something I've had a lot of lately has been feeling like everybody else are the depressed ones! I don't truly believe this of course, but my mind is interpreting everything in these terms. I'll feel like people are making the best of things, that they sound so halfhearted etc. But this isn't reality, this is depression dressing up reality. The reality is people aren't happy or sad all the time, they're just living. Most people won't remember barely anything from last week, yet for depressed people it all blurs into the same old mess and when you're really bad even sleep isn't nice. Looking forward to getting on antidepressants to get back to living as I know how worth it that is.

So yeah, not happy pills.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.