Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are they my friends ? watch

Announcements

I didnt have many friends at college, so Ive been making a real effort to meet people at university

I met Dave at one of the fresher events and we were from the same city and study 50% of the same modules.

I tend to sit next to him in lectures and I get on well with him and his group of friends, we always have a laugh and I never got the impression I was bothering them or he was avoiding me

Anyway in December, I asked him if he wanted to catch a movie, and he said he was actually watching with after exams with his other group of friends. I was like we should all go together, and he said okay, we are going on 20th of January.

I text him around 11am on the 20th, to ask if its still on and he says its not happening because one of his friends couldnt make it.

Then I find out they all watched today, as they posted about it on snapchat.

I cant help but feel like, I suck at making friends? It wouldnt bother me if this was a one off, but similar stuff happened to me at college. People who I would sit next in class and hang out with over lunch, would never invite me to birthdays and stuff

Makes me feel like its not worth the effort of trying to meet people.

anyone with a comment ? no matter how small ?

ReputationRep:
    dw. its not the end of the world. r u the quiet type

(Original post by itxarinix)
    dw. its not the end of the world. r u the quiet type
    maybe in social situations like large groups of people, im quiet. Im more comfortable in smaller groups of 3 or 4

ReputationRep:
    This is gonna sound so lame, but just keep trying! i hope one day you will find someone who's worth it. I think this is something that just happens to some people but don't despair. Keep talking to him though yeah and maybe your friendship will improve okay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    maybe in social situations like large groups of people, im quiet. Im more comfortable in smaller groups of 3 or 4

This may sound silly (i’m in year 11 ) but maybe you need to act more independent - don’t try and cling onto your ‘friend’ too much because its more than likely that your ‘friend’ is worried about the impact you make on his reputation with his friends. But whatever you do, don’t change who you are dramatically, because you should show the true you!

If you are brave enough, you could ask him, is a passive, subtle way, how his movie night was. Not too menacing of course.

Nonetheless, this isn’t your fault, and keep trying, but like Goldilocks, only try for the right amount - not too little, not too much. And don’t waste your time on him if he doesn’t fully accept you.

Best of luck to you

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.