Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else feel as though religion is doing more damage in the world than good, I feel as though religion is about giving rights and caring for every person(togetherness) however religion is splitting us apart more than ever. I am Atheist and this is a genuine question can someone explain why people still believe in these myths and ideologies of religion and does anyone else understand how i feel about religion ?

ReputationRep:
    Life is strange and difficult to understand. Many people find purpose in their religion, and genuinely makes them more at peace. Although religion does have some consequences like ISIS and other religious extremists, you're completely dismissing people who are stabilised by believing in a greater purpose
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farahhh24)
    Life is strange and difficult to understand. Many people find purpose in their religion, and genuinely makes them more at peace. Although religion does have some consequences like ISIS and other religious extremists, you're completely dismissing people who are stabilised by believing in a greater purpose
    This^^ Oh and its not just religion. Some people are still murdered in mass genocides for their race (for example Rohingya) and many people are still discriminated for their skin colour (BLM).
    Furthermore, politicians today still use the "divide and conquer" technique-whether it be stereotyping a religion, race, group of people or all of them!
    Wealth and greed also divides people-the amount of business who don't give to ****s about what happens to the people that are already suffering, as long as they bankroll another million is crazy.

But really, the REAL reason for all this separation and dividing is simply hate.

ReputationRep:
    people enjoy being nasty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    people enjoy being nasty.
    Really? Is it like a hobby?

Religion is and has been a big cause for violence around the world. In like the 1600s or sometime (can you tell I flunked history?) there was the big catholic vs Protestant thing which led to a lot of violence. There was also WW2 and Hitler and the Jews, although arguably he would’ve picked on a different race or religion.
    Now there are so called ‘muslims’ who are using religion as a cover up. Btw I don’t think terrorists actually follow Islam, I mean they are breaking like 150% of the rules and stuff.
    There is also a lot of discrimination against religions both in the UK and globally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.D.R)
    Does anyone else feel as though religion is doing more damage in the world than good, I feel as though religion is about giving rights and caring for every person(togetherness) however religion is splitting us apart more than ever. I am Atheist and this is a genuine question can someone explain why people still believe in these myths and ideologies of religion and does anyone else understand how i feel about religion ?
    Religion by definition is not good or bad, it's not about "giving rights and caring for every person" religion is simply: "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.". It's people that give rights and care for others, not religion.

"Is religion based on illogical or irational premises??" Yes

"Can these irational beliefs lead to damage, harm and a backwards society?" Yes

"Can irational beliefs also lead to some good?" Yes

The only reason that religion may sometimes be causing division in society is because of the way people have interpreted it. But like ‘mc_miah’ said - there are other factors too! People nowadays have became selfish and ignorant to their surroundings and are not away of other cultures and beliefs. For example, Islam is not mostly associated with Isis (I don’t believe this by the way - but you should meet the people in my school). Also people not assume that anyone with a slightly darker skin tone is Muslim rather than other religions like Sikhism and Hinduism - it’s like only Islam Christianity and atheism exist nowadays?

But I can also agree with the OP because at my school (I am in secondary school) 11-16 yr olds are constantly laughing at terrorism and make fun of people of different cultures (especially Asia and Africa). They find that people in less developed countries are inferior and should be treated badly which I think is awful. I don’t understand how children are being brought up in this way. Yes I am in the same generation as them but I don’t understand where they get these views from. People are ignorant and are not willing to accept other beliefs. They say religion is to blame, but if I’m honest, religions do tend to understand each other as they usually have some similar beliefs (e.g. in god, etc.). So it’s actually atheism (well where I live and know) that is causing the problem as those who are none religious have very stereotypical views like that all Muslims are terrorists. This is wrong and nobody should be treated in this way.

I’d just like to clarify I have nothing against Islam at all and I have only used it as an example several times as it has been very debatable recently and there are many issues surrounding the way people view the religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Religion is and has been a big cause for violence around the world. In like the 1600s or sometime (can you tell I flunked history?) there was the big catholic vs Protestant thing which led to a lot of violence. There was also WW2 and Hitler and the Jews, although arguably he would’ve picked on a different race or religion.
    Now there are so called ‘muslims’ who are using religion as a cover up. Btw I don’t think terrorists actually follow Islam, I mean they are breaking like 150% of the rules and stuff.
    There is also a lot of discrimination against religions both in the UK and globally

"Btw I don’t think terrorists actually follow Islam, I mean they are breaking like 150% of the rules and stuff."

I feel like this just depends on your interpretation of Islam. For example you could also argue that priests in the Roman Chatholic Church who rape children don't follow christianity (or are not christian), but i'm sure they'd beg to differ.

Religion is evil and should be destroyed in all forms. It shall be a glorious day when all religious monuments and people are exterminated and removed from this world

ReputationRep:
    No, I really think it's people's interpretation of religion that's causing all the problems. They take 1 aspect and blow it out of context, try force it down people's throat then justify it as being holy! Someone's who's studied the Bible or the Quran or any other religous text for several years is likely to have a completely different outlook of religion. They will approach situations in life with consideration, kindness and know that everything is not black and white. Compare that to someone who's only read one piece of scripture or verse, then somehow feels justified to act crazy as part of spreading thier 'holy message'.

ReputationRep:
    Well you have to take into consideration that atheism had not played a huge role until around the 19th century, and even then, atheists were in the vast minority - basically non-existent. What does this mean? We don’t have full evidence of how bad/good atheism is, unlike religion where there are clear examples of good and bad.

ReputationRep:
    I like how everyone here seems really open minded on this post and i hope it stays that way! As someone said before, tbh division and all that stuff is down to hate and prejudice based on problems within the people themselves, which influences their outlook on religion and race etc. and this causes the problems and splits within societies today i guess

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Religion is evil and should be destroyed in all forms. It shall be a glorious day when all religious monuments and people are exterminated and removed from this world
    Excuse me? Why what’s your problem with religion? Are you religious ?
    Probs not but still

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.