Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I need someone to actually tell me off. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Now that the GCSE'S have changed it's gotten harder. I'm doing Triple Science and I don't understand Chemistry (paper 2 mostly) MY Health and social coursework isn't complete, my english grades aren't the best, physics - (My teacher's don't know what they are doing.) The only good grades I have are from Business and Maths. I am NOT the type of person who goes out 24/7 . I've never went to a party or out with my friends . I don't really focus on what clothes i wear either. So i don't really understand what is stopping me . I procrastinate a bit and i just don't know how to revise . I need advice and a telling off. I'm IN YEAR 11. IT makes me feel dumb when i see ppl getting such good grades. I'm not jealous , I just feel like why can't I be motivated to do such things. I do care about my studies but it feels like I'm going to fail.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you're not going to get anywhere complaining about procrastinating whilst procrastinating, are you?

From my experience, I find STARTING work is the hardest thing. But once I've started, I start to flow through it. So you have to deal with the obstacle of starting. Set times to study and just do it and find REASONS to study also. Make it fun, don't dread it. Look up study methods, test which suits you the most. Youtube videos are great if like me you can't be bothered to read sometimes.

And the main thing is to not doubt your abilities. If you study correctly, you don't need to worry about it. I understand how you feel, maybe this is a motivation issue. Which is why I suggest to set yourself goals of getting things completed BIT BY BIT. Say you'll do this section/subject and do it, then move on to the others.

Don't burn yourself out. Always take breaks after a 45 minute period or anything you study will just leave your brain.

Good luck with your exams. Force yourself to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by augustm)
    well, you're not going to get anywhere complaining about procrastinating whilst procrastinating, are you?

from my experience, i find starting work is the hardest thing. But once i've started, i start to flow through it. So you have to deal with the obstacle of starting. Set times to study and just do it and find reasons to study also. Make it fun, don't dread it. Look up study methods, test which suits you the most. Youtube videos are great if like me you can't be bothered to read sometimes.

And the main thing is to not doubt your abilities. If you study correctly, you don't need to worry about it. I understand how you feel, maybe this is a motivation issue. Which is why i suggest to set yourself goals of getting things completed bit by bit. Say you'll do this section/subject and do it, then move on to the others.

Don't burn yourself out. Always take breaks after a 45 minute period or anything you study will just leave your brain.

Good luck with your exams. Force yourself to do it.
    thank u . However i feel guilty as well as my parents work hard for my tuition but i know it isn't worth it and they won't listen . It doesn't help that i have other relatives doing it so i am going to get into trouble if i get less. Its happened before as i failed the 11+ now i'm in a state school , they are in selective schools. If i don't get 9s im screwed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itxarinix)
    Now that the GCSE'S have changed it's gotten harder. I'm doing Triple Science and I don't understand Chemistry (paper 2 mostly) MY Health and social coursework isn't complete, my english grades aren't the best, physics - (My teacher's don't know what they are doing.) The only good grades I have are from Business and Maths. I am NOT the type of person who goes out 24/7 . I've never went to a party or out with my friends . I don't really focus on what clothes i wear either. So i don't really understand what is stopping me . I procrastinate a bit and i just don't know how to revise . I need advice and a telling off. I'm IN YEAR 11. IT makes me feel dumb when i see ppl getting such good grades. I'm not jealous , I just feel like why can't I be motivated to do such things. I do care about my studies but it feels like I'm going to fail.
    If it is harder that is to filter out the best from the rest. You can either complain and just accept you are part of the rest or you can have the hunger to prove you are one of the best.

In terms of how to revise: make notes, watch youtube videos that explain the content. Look at the syllabus to see what you need to know and in what detail. Be focused and be determined.

And don't ever put yourself in the mindset of you are going to fail, that is the first step in actually failing. Everyday tell yourself "I will NOT fail" and push yourself to make sure you don't.

ReputationRep:
    thank u . However i feel guilty as well as my parents work hard for my tuition but i know it isn't worth it and they won't listen . It doesn't help that i have other relatives doing it so i am going to get into trouble if i get less. Its happened before as i failed the 11+ now i'm in a state school , they are in selective schools. If i don't get 9s im screwed
    Sounds like you have a lot of pressure on you there. I won't tell you off, you're going through a time of exploration, you're essentially figuring yourself out. If education is not for you, that is okay. If you want to succeed in education, you simply have to study. You have the brains for it you're just not using them correctly. Do research on how to study correctly, this is what schools neglect to teach pupils. They teach them one set way of learning when there are many ways. I think this is a motivation issue rather than capability issue. You'll get there but only if you try.

ReputationRep:
    take a chill pill pal no one has ever asked me what grade I got in gcse biology exam I took 8 years ago GCSEs don’t even go on cv. even at sixth form I ditched them. my advice is scrape the 5 Cs and **** about in the meantime srs. a levels where count. can’t believe fell for the trap of how good it is to get A grades in the likes of media studies and citizenship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominoes)
    take a chill pill pal no one has ever asked me what grade I got in gcse biology exam I took 8 years ago GCSEs don’t even go on cv. even at sixth form I ditched them. my advice is scrape the 5 Cs and **** about in the meantime srs. a levels where count. can’t believe fell for the trap of how good it is to get A grades in the likes of media studies and citizenship
    MOCK GRADES
    CHEMISTRY: 5 - predicted 8
    BIO : 6 - predicted 8
    PHYSICS :6 - predicted 8
    BUSINESS STUDIES : A* predicted A
    SPANISH : 5 ( I DONT CARE)
    RELIGIOUS STUDIES : 6 ( 2 MARKS OFF 7) P- 8
    MATHS: 7 P-9
    HISTORY : 5 P-7
    ENGLISH LIT: 5 P-7
    ENGLISH LANGUAGE :6 P-7

ReputationRep:
    MOCK GRADES
    CHEMISTRY: 5 - predicted 8
    BIO : 6 - predicted 8
    PHYSICS :6 - predicted 8
    BUSINESS STUDIES : A* predicted A
    SPANISH : 5 ( I DONT CARE)
    RELIGIOUS STUDIES : 6 ( 2 MARKS OFF 7) P- 8
    MATHS: 7 P-9
    HISTORY : 5 P-7
    ENGLISH LIT: 5 P-7
    ENGLISH LANGUAGE :6 P-7
    GCSEs grades are an ego boost just check out the folk on FB who did way better at secondary school and sixth from but now just in menial jobs meanwhile I’m about to graduate with a solid degree and grad scheme

ReputationRep:
    i dont want to struggle like my parents do. i want to get a good job

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.