Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It is said that the universe is the only thing to exist and everything exists within it. However, its also said that the universe is expanding. But I dont understand what the universe is expanding into if the only space that exists is within it. Someone who knows their physics please help!! I feel like im just being stupid but im just confused
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I would also like this explaining to be honest because it's thrown me.

Is it that since the universe is everything; and the universe is getting bigger. Everything is getting bigger?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Expansion just means that the objects within the universe are getting further apart, not that the universe itself is expanding into something else outside of it. The scale of space itself changes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I would also like this explaining to be honest because it's thrown me.

Is it that since the universe is everything; and the universe is getting bigger. Everything is getting bigger?:confused:
    Glad to know im not the only one hahah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Expansion just means that the objects within the universe are getting further apart, not that the universe itself is expanding into something else outside of it. The scale of space itself changes.
    Ohhh right this makes sense, I was thinking that the universe itself was getting bigger. Thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.