Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what happens at prom? watch

Announcements

hiya,

i know this sounds a little (or a lot-tle) dumb, but i was just wondering what happens at prom.
    like, what happens when you arrive? are there people waiting for everyone to arrive?
    do teachers go to prom?
    do people, like, actually look at you to see what you're wearing, or are they all just self-absorbed?
    what happens when you actually get inside? like, is there a proper meal?
    do people actually dance? does it get 'wild'?

that's a lot of questions, so thank you to anyone who attempts to answer them, but they're just, like, the kind of things i'm confused about.
    i just really need to know whether it's worth going to prom.

but, thank you to anyone who answered any question x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hiya,

i know this sounds a little (or a lot-tle) dumb, but i was just wondering what happens at prom.
    like, what happens when you arrive? are there people waiting for everyone to arrive?
    do teachers go to prom?
    do people, like, actually look at you to see what you're wearing, or are they all just self-absorbed?
    what happens when you actually get inside? like, is there a proper meal?
    do people actually dance? does it get 'wild'?

that's a lot of questions, so thank you to anyone who attempts to answer them, but they're just, like, the kind of things i'm confused about.
    i just really need to know whether it's worth going to prom.

but, thank you to anyone who answered any question x
    If you have friends who are going then go cause it’s nice to meet up all together.
    Yeah some people wait outside for pictures with friends but you can go in anytime, yes teachers are there, self absorbed mainly, you stand around taking pictures and talking to friends, there’s some cold snack buffet type thing, yeah some people dance not everyone, doesn’t really get “wild”. **Note experiences may varyy**

I’m wondering the same thing. I’m in year 11 and don’t really know if do want to go to prom. All my friends are going big I’m not really into dresses and I’ve never worn make up before in my entire life - o my like a bit of nail polish when I was younger. So yeah, are you thinking of going to prom.

Also sorry I didn’t answer your question - as I am wondering the same thing.

And I’d like to ask when should you order your prom dresses? If I do go then I better get looking because I haven’t even looked once.......
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by RiahDawson)
    If you have friends who are going then go cause it’s nice to meet up all together.
    Yeah some people wait outside for pictures with friends but you can go in anytime, yes teachers are there, self absorbed mainly, you stand around taking pictures and talking to friends, there’s some cold snack buffet type thing, yeah some people dance not everyone, doesn’t really get “wild”. **Note experiences may varyy**
    ahah, i understand, thank you so much x

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been to prom (I'm in year 11) but I have had many friends and 3 siblings that have gone and they told me quite a lot

For GCSE's anyways, Prom is essentially, the last time anyone will see each other again-or at least anyone you were semi-close to (such as class mates) but mostly these people you won't talk to again.

My school has a 6th form connected to it. Chances are you will see a lot of people from your lower school simply go to the same schools college, unless there's better ones in the area (for my case there isn't-i'll be seeing a lot of people again lol). During Prom, you eat food, drink (in my school its proper meals but it varies), party, chat and take pictures-its basically a formal party (sort of lol). Not wild. The afterpartys are though ;P

This is what my mates said-UK prom isn't like America or in the movies. There's really not much pressure to get with a girl and take her with you to prom-most, like legit almost all go with their friends. Don't feel the pressure. Enjoy Yourself

No one really cares if you come in a fancy car-really its all the popular kids that get some sort of acknowledgement, but only really from the popular kids because at this stage, it really doesn't matter anymore. Actually no-if you come in your dads mini bus when everyone has already arrived in their c63's and whatnot, expect some laughs loool. Just park your car somewhere close and walk it if your that bothered.

Most people are self absorbed, or want to chill with their mates-just don't come in in a bin bag, don't forget your taking pictures. **** me, big para i cba writing anymore hope this helped lol

ReputationRep:
    my prom was all just taking photos. I hated it. after prom was good though. it was built up so much in my head that there was no way I wouldn't be disappointed
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I’m wondering the same thing. I’m in year 11 and don’t really know if do want to go to prom. All my friends are going big I’m not really into dresses and I’ve never worn make up before in my entire life - o my like a bit of nail polish when I was younger. So yeah, are you thinking of going to prom.

Also sorry I didn’t answer your question - as I am wondering the same thing.

And I’d like to ask when should you order your prom dresses? If I do go then I better get looking because I haven’t even looked once.......
    hey! i'm glad i'm not alone, aha, and it's fine, i understand

but, i have been looking for dresses on asos, and some are really nice! also, debenhams have really nice dresses, too, or you can find simpler, more comfortable in shops like h&m and new look.
    but, remember; wear whatever you love and feel comfortable in! you also don't need to wear makeup if you don't feel comfortable

i feel as though i should go to prom as it's like the last chance to see everyone, and make some last memories. but it's totally up to you as to whether you want to go- don't let anyone pressure you in to going if it's not youre thing! xx

(Original post by mc_miah)
    I haven't been to prom (I'm in year 11) but I have had many friends and 3 siblings that have gone and they told me quite a lot

For GCSE's anyways, Prom is essentially, the last time anyone will see each other again-or at least anyone you were semi-close to (such as class mates) but mostly these people you won't talk to again.

My school has a 6th form connected to it. Chances are you will see a lot of people from your lower school simply go to the same schools college, unless there's better ones in the area (for my case there isn't-i'll be seeing a lot of people again lol). During Prom, you eat food, drink (in my school its proper meals but it varies), party, chat and take pictures-its basically a formal party (sort of lol). Not wild. The afterpartys are though ;P

This is what my mates said-UK prom isn't like America or in the movies. There's really not much pressure to get with a girl and take her with you to prom-most, like legit almost all go with their friends. Don't feel the pressure. Enjoy Yourself

No one really cares if you come in a fancy car-really its all the popular kids that get some sort of acknowledgement, but only really from the popular kids because at this stage, it really doesn't matter anymore. Actually no-if you come in your dads mini bus when everyone has already arrived in their c63's and whatnot, expect some laughs loool. Just park your car somewhere close and walk it if your that bothered.

Most people are self absorbed, or want to chill with their mates-just don't come in in a bin bag, don't forget your taking pictures. **** me, big para i cba writing anymore hope this helped lol
    ahah, that really helpes, thank you so much x

ReputationRep:
    you dance, some weird girl who everyone pretends to like gets crowned prom queen but then a bucket of red paint gets dropped on her and everyone starts to laugh at her but as revenge she locks all the doors and causes a bloodbath...

(Original post by Nerry)
    you dance, some weird girl who everyone pretends to like gets crowned prom queen but then a bucket of red paint gets dropped on her and everyone starts to laugh at her but as revenge she locks all the doors and causes a bloodbath...
    sounds pleasant

(Original post by perspectives)
    my prom was all just taking photos. I hated it. after prom was good though. it was built up so much in my head that there was no way I wouldn't be disappointed
    ah, i'm really scared i'll have my expectations built up high, as well. might want to lower them, so i'm disappointed to, ahah x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.