Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am really interested in the LSE's Economics course (I mean, who isn't?) and they mentioned a few things they would look at for an application. They said course combination - do they have a list of favoured a-levels? I am planning on taking Maths, Economics, and probably Geography? I was going to take Politics but I felt it was a bit too essay-based. Also, would they look at GCSE results? As long as A-levels are good, do GCSEs matter? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliceoko)
    I am really interested in the LSE's Economics course (I mean, who isn't?) and they mentioned a few things they would look at for an application. They said course combination - do they have a list of favoured a-levels? I am planning on taking Maths, Economics, and probably Geography? I was going to take Politics but I felt it was a bit too essay-based. Also, would they look at GCSE results? As long as A-levels are good, do GCSEs matter? Thanks!
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...y-Requirements

http://www.lse.ac.uk/Study-at-LSE/Un.../BSc-Economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    According to the link, 94 percent took economics, and 78 percent did further maths. This basically means that you will be at a severe disadvantage when applying for bsc economics without further maths (although physics might compensate). I am planning on taking the exact route as you and I am taking my GCSEs this year. Im taking maths, further maths, economics and psychology. I think they look at GCSEs as well, since they dont interview applicants, so just try and get as many A*s as possible.

https://my.sacustudent.com/sacustude...B66EF04C8CD117

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Take
    Maths
    Further maths
    Economics
    A science
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb)
    According to the link, 94 percent took economics, and 78 percent did further maths. This basically means that you will be at a severe disadvantage when applying for bsc economics without further maths (although physics might compensate). I am planning on taking the exact route as you and I am taking my GCSEs this year. Im taking maths, further maths, economics and psychology. I think they look at GCSEs as well, since they dont interview applicants, so just try and get as many A*s as possible.
    Thank you so much!
    Hold on, https://www.whatuni.com/degrees/econ...54987366/5884/

Further Maths is 52% not 78%

And as per the links provided 2 weeks ago by ageshallnot it specifically says "Further Mathematics at A level is also desirable, but as a fourth subject only."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skyewoods)
    Take
    Maths
    Further maths
    Economics
    A science
    Does Computing count as a science? Also, if I couldn't take a science/computing, do you think Geography or Politics would be more desirable?

ReputationRep:
    one essay subject is a good idea, economics is not just mathematical you know. there's plenty of wordy parts to it. i'd go with maths, further maths, economics, an essay subject and a 5th AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CollectiveSoul)
    one essay subject is a good idea, economics is not just mathematical you know. there's plenty of wordy parts to it. i'd go with maths, further maths, economics, an essay subject and a 5th AS.
    We don't get to do AS anymore I think we might have a little more time to move around subjects if we don't like them, but that's about it.
    Essay subjects aren't my strong point, so I'm planning to focus all my time on getting good at Economics essays, and try and keep my other subjects more logical and math-related as I find those subjects a lot easier, though I don't know if LSE would prefer an essay-based one? I'm trying to pick between Geography, Politics and Computing...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'm trying to pick between Geography, Politics and Computing...
    Pick the one you enjoy the most and will do best at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We don't get to do AS anymore I think we might have a little more time to move around subjects if we don't like them, but that's about it.
    Essay subjects aren't my strong point, so I'm planning to focus all my time on getting good at Economics essays, and try and keep my other subjects more logical and math-related as I find those subjects a lot easier, though I don't know if LSE would prefer an essay-based one? I'm trying to pick between Geography, Politics and Computing...
    oh no AS levels, goodness me.

no then i definitely agree with your plan: maths, f maths and econ are the most important. if you think you can cope with a 4th a level then i'd recommend it. i'd pick geography out of those as its a 'traditional' a level unlike Politics and the human side of geography is actually rather relevant to macroeconomics!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    oh no AS levels, goodness me.

no then i definitely agree with your plan: maths, f maths and econ are the most important.
    I repeat

(Original post by Doonesbury)

And as per the links provided 2 weeks ago by ageshallnot it specifically says "Further Mathematics at A level is also desirable, but as a fourth subject only."

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pick the one you enjoy the most and will do best at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    she's looking for the subjects to maximise her chances at LSE, not for a proverb from the Dali Lama.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    she's looking for the subjects to maximise her chances at LSE, not for a proverb from the Dali Lama.
    What about a proverb from LSE itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely take maths, take further maths to at least AS, and the other two are your choice but I suggest taking economics as a 3rd and the last can be whatever

ReputationRep:
    What about a proverb from LSE itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the one that says subject choices are important...

ReputationRep:

The link I used showed what AS subjects everyone took, however the link you provided showed which A2's everyone took. It could be that 26 percent chose to drop further maths in year 13.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    the one that says subject choices are important...
    As is getting excellent grades. And there's no point studying FM as 3rd A-level.

OPs original choice of Maths, Economics and Geography is perfect, if she thinks she can get a better grade in Geography than Politics. If she prefers Politics over Geography (which I don't think she does) then that would be fine too.

A*AA in Maths, Economics, Politics is much better than A*AB in Maths, Economics, Geography.

And FM is irrelevant as OP isn't taking 4 A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Does Computing count as a science? Also, if I couldn't take a science/computing, do you think Geography or Politics would be more desirable?
    Ideally bio, chem or physics but computing will do. Politics over geography because it is more relevant.

However. The most important thing is the grade. Choose the subject you know you'll get an A in because that is the most important thing.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Skyewoods)
    Ideally bio, chem or physics but computing will do. Politics over geography because it is more relevant.

However. The most important thing is the grade. Choose the subject you know you'll get an A in because that is the most important thing. You are likely to drop this 4th one when going in to A2 so pick the one that is easiest from the ones mentioned. Also look at the number of students who got an A last year in each subject nationally and at your college
    Following the introduction of linear A-levels many (most?) schools no longer allow students to take 4 subjects in Y12 and drop one for Y13.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.