Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if there is some reason why the MPharm degree isn't offered at Oxford or Cambridge - I thought it was a very well respected degree?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by jaz2906)
    Just wondering if there is some reason why the MPharm degree isn't offered at Oxford or Cambridge - I thought it was a very well respected degree?
    They tend to offer mostly academic degrees so vocational ones like pharmacy aren't generally offered. It doesn't really matter where you get your degree from for pharmacy.

ReputationRep:
    Until recently there were very few places that offered pharmacy. If you look on wikipedia, it is suggested until the 1960s there were only 11 pharmacy schools in England. This is if you are interested broadly similar to both medicine and vetinary medicine. The 00s and 2010s saw a gigantic expansion of pharmacy schools.

A lot of these pharmacy schools were more schools - most of the institutions became universities much later. The MPharm came after the BSc which came after no degree and various other ways of training. I'd be interested to here any concrete evidence of when the BSc was set up.

Pharmacy is unusual for a graduate job, it doesn't really matter a jot where you got it, some incredibly poorly rated universities overall do it (some good ones too).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jaz2906)
    Its a vocational degree. Oxbridge doesn't offer those for undergrad - its all about the academic.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 4, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.