The Student Room Group

Why isn't pharmacy offered at Oxbridge?

Just wondering if there is some reason why the MPharm degree isn't offered at Oxford or Cambridge - I thought it was a very well respected degree? :smile:
Original post by jaz2906
Just wondering if there is some reason why the MPharm degree isn't offered at Oxford or Cambridge - I thought it was a very well respected degree? :smile:

They tend to offer mostly academic degrees so vocational ones like pharmacy aren't generally offered. It doesn't really matter where you get your degree from for pharmacy.
Until recently there were very few places that offered pharmacy. If you look on wikipedia, it is suggested until the 1960s there were only 11 pharmacy schools in England. This is if you are interested broadly similar to both medicine and vetinary medicine. The 00s and 2010s saw a gigantic expansion of pharmacy schools.

A lot of these pharmacy schools were more schools - most of the institutions became universities much later. The MPharm came after the BSc which came after no degree and various other ways of training. I'd be interested to here any concrete evidence of when the BSc was set up.

Pharmacy is unusual for a graduate job, it doesn't really matter a jot where you got it, some incredibly poorly rated universities overall do it (some good ones too).
Original post by jaz2906

Its a vocational degree. Oxbridge doesn't offer those for undergrad - its all about the academic.

Quick Reply

Latest