Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.
    I am an American undergraduate student and have recently been accepted into both UCL's International Relations of the Americas MSc program as well as KCL's International Relations MA program. Both universities are highly regarded in the United States, but I was curious if one program was considered "better" than the other. I am aware that the two programs are quite different, but I am interested in both of them for different reasons and I am trying to gain more insight so that I can confidently make a final decision. Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I am also an international student who intends on starting my masters degree in Int'l Relations in the UK. So far, UCL, KCL and Bristol have been my choices.

To answer your question...it depends on what you prefer really. I think both programmes you mentioned are different. UCL's International Relations of the Americas MSc is obviously more specific and narrowed as compared to KCL's International Relations MA program, which may be quite broad.

Being an American as you mentioned, maybe you might prefer UCL's programs as you might be quite familiar with the region's policies, etc.

Oh and another thing that you might be concerned about (which I am), is whether you prefer a MSc or MA degree.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your input. I think my biggest concern with UCL’s program is that I don’t want to necessarily limit myself to one region. I do, however, like that it is a MSc program rather than an MA. On the other hand, I’m particularly interested in security and I’ve heard great things about KCL’s Department of War Studies. I have looked at the modules for each program and both have quite a bit to offer, so I’m having a difficult time deciding. Employability is also a big deciding factor for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_kennedy)
    Thank you so much for your input. I think my biggest concern with UCL’s program is that I don’t want to necessarily limit myself to one region. I do, however, like that it is a MSc program rather than an MA. On the other hand, I’m particularly interested in security and I’ve heard great things about KCL’s Department of War Studies. I have looked at the modules for each program and both have quite a bit to offer, so I’m having a difficult time deciding. Employability is also a big deciding factor for me.
    Both Uni's have a pretty good standing imo so I don't think employers will prefer one over the other. However, I think having a degree in International Relations will open up more doors for employment since it's quite broad and less specific as compared to the other's focus on the Americas.
    I did hear about KCL having a strong department of War Studies but I think you should really do some more digging into the Uni as a whole.

I suggest looking at both threads here to see what others think.https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3327171

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3154835

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 3, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. King's College London
    Arts and Humanities (Strand Campus) Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.