Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Let's get this thread rolling .

Was meant to study for a masters in the law school this year but withdrew and decided to apply for an MA in International Relations for entry this year. Still waiting to hear on the application!

Have an offer from Durham as well but love Newcastle uni!

ReputationRep:
    I graduated in 2017 with an MA in International Politics (Critical Geopolitics). All the Politics MAs are basically the same degrees with one or two different core (compulsory) module/s. I think you made the right choice, and I would definitely recommend Newcastle over Durham. Are you starting in 2018? I am hoping to start a PhD in 2018 (got an offer of a place, it now all hinges on the funding application), so might see you around on campus.

Also, are you attending the PG open day this Wednesday? I will be helping out as an ex-student answering questions in the Politics Building from half 3. Might see you around if you are coming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaotic1328)
    I graduated in 2017 with an MA in International Politics (Critical Geopolitics). All the Politics MAs are basically the same degrees with one or two different core (compulsory) module/s. I think you made the right choice, and I would definitely recommend Newcastle over Durham. Are you starting in 2018? I am hoping to start a PhD in 2018 (got an offer of a place, it now all hinges on the funding application), so might see you around on campus.

Also, are you attending the PG open day this Wednesday? I will be helping out as an ex-student answering questions in the Politics Building from half 3. Might see you around if you are coming.
    Cheers bud! That's really good to know. Yes the MA in International Relations at Newcastle looks very good. One of my concerns at Durham is the 75 credits value of the dissertation, which is crazy but I do get a 10% discount of the tuition due to being a alumnus, however the price will bring it down to the same as Newcastle (200 pounds less). I'll probably pick American foreign policy and a few other modules. Can you recommend any?

Not sure I can attend the postgraduate open day..but I did visit the uni already and loved it.

ReputationRep:
    Why's that, by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Why's that, by the way?
    From speaking to a classmate who was an ex-Durham students while I was on the course. Durham was described as 'stuffy', and academic staff not as supportive. On top of that, the social (night) life in Newcastle is definitely better!

ReputationRep:
    From speaking to a classmate who was an ex-Durham students while I was on the course. Durham was described as 'stuffy', and academic staff not as supportive. On top of that, the social (night) life in Newcastle is definitely better!
    Is this the department? Generally speaking I liked Durham as a university a lot but Newcastle looks also awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Durham_)
    Cheers bud! That's really good to know. Yes the MA in International Relations at Newcastle looks very good. One of my concerns at Durham is the 75 credits value of the dissertation, which is crazy but I do get a 10% discount of the tuition due to being a alumnus, however the price will bring it down to the same as Newcastle (200 pounds less). I'll probably pick American foreign policy and a few other modules. Can you recommend any?

Not sure I can attend the postgraduate open day..but I did visit the uni already and loved it.
    If you are into post-structuralism, 'Critique Geopolitics' and 'World Politics and Popular Culture' are good choices, if you are more into the English School,' Global Justice and Human Rights' and 'War, Terrorism and Peace: an Ethical Perspective' would suit you. I think the course leader for International Relations is a Frankfurt School guy. He seems scary at first, but is a really nice guy.

ReputationRep:
    Is this the department? Generally speaking I liked Durham as a university a lot but Newcastle looks also awesome!
    Think it might be the department, although the person seemed really pissed off at Durham in general for some reason. I didn't go into details too much, but knew that the person had gained a First from Durham in a related field before starting the MA at Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Town Planning MSc! Not 100% about the course because I want to go into surveying and whilst it is accredited by RICS, it's more focussed on the planning aspect (obviously).

Visited Newcastle for New Year's Eve last year and liked it as a city but have never visited the university although I'm getting a good impression of it from my research.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MinnieD)
    I'm applying for Town Planning MSc! Not 100% about the course because I want to go into surveying and whilst it is accredited by RICS, it's more focussed on the planning aspect (obviously).

Visited Newcastle for New Year's Eve last year and liked it as a city but have never visited the university although I'm getting a good impression of it from my research.
    Ah cool! Good luck !! It’s a great uni and facilities are very good!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

I want to start this year but haven't heard yet. its been a week. I don't have an international relations background but hope that doesn't go against me.

It will be fairly new to me but I hope to get in!

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer for an MSc at Newcastle (and have even found a place to live) but I'm also waiting to hear back from Birmingham.

In terms of university and place I prefer Newcastle. It was amazing when I went to visit. The city and uni has a lot to offer.
    I live near Birmingham so already know it well. I'm more passionate about Newcastle's course, BUT Birmingham's course means I'm guaranteed a job afterwards whereas Newcastle's doesn't. I also have 'home comforts' close by if I go to Birmingham, but Newcastle will give me more independence.

I change my mind to where I'm going by the hour! If I get a rejection from Birmingham that will make the choice easy haha.

ReputationRep:
    So I was rejected today! This is ridiculous. No reason was given but I will call them up to get feedback. I will go to Durham it seems!

ReputationRep:
    So I was rejected today! This is ridiculous. No reason was given but I will call them up to get feedback. I will go to Durham it seems!
    That is surprising, given that you were already accepted at Durham. I would have thought that they would welcome a Durham graduate onto the course. What degree are you currently reading, and what are you predicted grades? I was going to ask about your personal statement, but I really can't see that would make that much difference.

Or do you mean you were rejected for funding/scholarship? That would make more sense, as they normally only give those to people with Firsts/predicted Firsts.

ReputationRep:
    That is surprising, given that you were already accepted at Durham. I would have thought that they would welcome a Durham graduate onto the course. What degree are you currently reading, and what are you predicted grades? I was going to ask about your personal statement, but I really can't see that would make that much difference.

Or do you mean you were rejected for funding/scholarship? That would make more sense, as they normally only give those to people with Firsts/predicted Firsts.
    I am EU with a law degree. I did an MSc at Durham and graduated with a merit back in 2014 and have very good references. I also worked in the legal profession here.

My personal statement was fine, I got into other schools with it. This is seriously odd. No, Newcastle has no funding for me and I was not after it. I just liked the course but its ok! No harm there.

ReputationRep:
    I am EU with a law degree. I did an MSc at Durham and graduated with a merit back in 2014 and have very good references. I also worked in the legal profession here.

My personal statement was fine, I got into other schools with it. This is seriously odd. No, Newcastle has no funding for me and I was not after it. I just liked the course but its ok! No harm there.
    Very odd indeed. From my experience, they welcome mature students on the course, and given your record, I really can't see any reason why they might have rejected you. Do contact admissions and ask what the hell happened. You could also email the course director direct for some feedback. I think there was a mistake somewhere on the line (like maybe you filled in the wrong information on the application etc).
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hey Durham_,

That does sound very odd! If you'd like to drop me an Inbox message, I'd be happy to look into this for you further.

Best wishes,

Susie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MinnieD)

Another St Andrews student, yay! I'm in my final year studying History Sending my application off next week to study Heritage Studies...fingers crossed! I like St Andrews but I'm definitely ready for a change.

ReputationRep:
    Hello I applied for the MSc Medical Sciences on the 24th February and really hope I receive an offer as it is my first choice in postgrad study. How long did it take for you guys to get an email? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'll be taking Msc in Marine Transport Management.
    Is there anyone on the same boat with me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 14, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.