Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Bit of a strange one here: I made an absolute hash of the first year of my BTEC QCF Diploma in Software Design and Development, and ended up with all pass marks for the six units that were taken. This year I have bucked my ideas up and I am currently on track for distinctions in all the 9 units that populate the second year (go me?) and as such I am looking forward to university.

Now here's the problem: University of Portsmouth is my first choice for what I want to do (cyber security and digital forensics) and they have given me a conditional offer if I can get a grade of D*D - this isn't possible according to my grade tracker? Am I missing something here? Somehow I will need to up one of my passes to a merit according to this in order to meet that criteria, but that is not allowed? Stress isn't the word. Hope you guys can help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Your best bet is to call the university admissions office on Monday and get some clarification. No point stressing at the moment, just keep calm and enjoy the weekend!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Is there a possibility of resitting some of the pass marks. As CT said call them on Monday as perhaps they dont understand fully how the scoring will work. Iy would be best if you calculated what your max score is and then a realistic one. D*D is very high, but then its only equivalent to 2 A levels. A full extended diploma would have made it so much easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTLevers)
    Your best bet is to call the university admissions office on Monday and get some clarification. No point stressing at the moment, just keep calm and enjoy the weekend!
    Wouldn't an email be better, since you'd then have a record of what they say, if they tell you a load of nonsense that they later go back on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Is there a possibility of resitting some of the pass marks. As CT said call them on Monday as perhaps they dont understand fully how the scoring will work. Iy would be best if you calculated what your max score is and then a realistic one. D*D is very high, but then its only equivalent to 2 A levels. A full extended diploma would have made it so much easier.
    I have asked about resitting last year when I had realised I messed up the entire year, but was told that it would not be allowed - will check again with my lecturers on Monday. Will email Portsmouth on Monday aswell, but from what I have read online they will more than likely retract their offer. According to my grade calculator that I was given by my college, the best grade I can get is DD, with 1020 points being awarded. The minimum I need to meet their offer is 1030, which will result in a D*D. I will have to include this on the email as hopefully they will let it slide by 10 points. As for the extended diploma, I hassled my tutor about this many times but have never got anywhere, as they thought I "would have been at risk" if I had the three extra units - perhaps the first year doesn't represent me well, but this year I have been pretty perfect, at least in my opinion.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Saokonessen)
    I have asked about resitting last year when I had realised I messed up the entire year, but was told that it would not be allowed - will check again with my lecturers on Monday. Will email Portsmouth on Monday aswell, but from what I have read online they will more than likely retract their offer. According to my grade calculator that I was given by my college, the best grade I can get is DD, with 1020 points being awarded. The minimum I need to meet their offer is 1030, which will result in a D*D. I will have to include this on the email as hopefully they will let it slide by 10 points. As for the extended diploma, I hassled my tutor about this many times but have never got anywhere, as they thought I "would have been at risk" if I had the three extra units - perhaps the first year doesn't represent me well, but this year I have been pretty perfect, at least in my opinion.
    It is only Portsmouth. I doubt ten points will matter.
    Your problems are not just from the grades but because its only a diploma and not an extended diploma.
    You should have asked about this in the summer and then I could have given you better advice to make it much easier for yourself.
    Just have to wait and see what they say.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.