Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I've got a 2.2 from one of the worst unis in the country and haven't even had an interview for any decent job (paying >18k) since I graduated. I'm completing a masters at a good uni and will be lucky to get a merit. Iv realised that my whole academic career i'v just learnt theoretical b******t that has no application in the real world. I've applied for a few other masters that actually have a big practical component but won't be able to afford it (probably) as iv already got a postgraduate loan for my current masters. I might be able to get a career development loan but I doubt it because my credit history is not good. What am I meant to do? Work in McDonald's? My personal life is another area of disaster and I have a drink/drug problem. I'm just hoping to get the career development loan and go to some uni campus somewhere to start fresh. Or get a dream job in the Natural History Museum in the learning department (which pays about 25k).

Do you guys have any advice or have you been in a similar situation?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bongo Bongo)
    So I've got a 2.2 from one of the worst unis in the country and haven't even had an interview for any decent job (paying >18k) since I graduated. I'm completing a masters at a good uni and will be lucky to get a merit. Iv realised that my whole academic career i'v just learnt theoretical b******t that has no application in the real world. I've applied for a few other masters that actually have a big practical component but won't be able to afford it (probably) as iv already got a postgraduate loan for my current masters. I might be able to get a career development loan but I doubt it because my credit history is not good. What am I meant to do? Work in McDonald's? My personal life is another area of disaster and I have a drink/drug problem. I'm just hoping to get the career development loan and go to some uni campus somewhere to start fresh. Or get a dream job in the Natural History Museum in the learning department (which pays about 25k).

Do you guys have any advice or have you been in a similar situation?
    Wow that seems rough.:puppyeyes: What sort of field is your degree and masters in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Wow that seems rough.:puppyeyes: What sort of field is your degree and masters in?
    My degree is in Anthropology and my masters is in Evolutionary Psychology.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    My degree is in Anthropology and my masters is in Evolutionary Psychology.
    Ah I see. That is a difficult field to crack.:sadnod: Have you been given reasons why you've been rejected from any well-paying jobs you've applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Ah I see. That is a difficult field to crack.:sadnod: Have you been given reasons why you've been rejected from any well-paying jobs you've applied for?
    No not at all, I've been applying for museum and lab based jobs mainly, I don't really want a typical office job. I've applied for a biological anthropology msc which has a heavy osteology and genetics component so I'm thinking if I pick up some good skills I'll have a chance of getting a lab or archeological job after. Hopefully il get the career development loan.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    No not at all, I've been applying for museum and lab based jobs mainly, I don't really want a typical office job. I've applied for a biological anthropology msc which has a heavy osteology and genetics component so I'm thinking if I pick up some good skills I'll have a chance of getting a lab or archeological job after. Hopefully il get the career development loan.
    Yay positivity :rave:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.