Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I love being at uni but I’m starting to get depressed. me anywhere watch

ReputationRep:
    So I’ve been enjoying the whole idea of uni. I enjoy my course and love living in London!

However, I feel like I’m starting to feel depressed and homesick. I haven’t done fun things or gone out with anyone because people I consider friends don’t even invite me

For example, there’s a girl I’m close with (or at least I thought I was). She’s the only person who lives in my Accom who does the same course as me. Shortly before Christmas we started talking and revising/doing essays together. We even started to hang out during lectures/class and go home together. We both have different “friends” and she’s gone out more than me with her friends. She’s pretty much established strong friendships wheareas I haven’t yet.

We even messaged each other daily during Christmas break and exchanged our essays to give each other feedback before we submitted it.

I’ve noticed she goes out often and I want to go out with her and the friends she has in our accommodation. She never invited me though so one day I decided to tell her if she’s going out in the weekend, to invite me cos I wanna go out with her. She said yes no problem she’ll def invite me.

Ever since then, she has been going out but she’s never invited me. I see photos and snapchats of her out with other uni people and it gets me quite down.
    I’m not sure what it is because we still talk regardless, I’m just not sure why she isn’t inviting me out. Maybe she forgot (she was drinking at the time I asked her) and I’m not sure how to address it because she and I are pretty good friends so she can’t think I’m boring? I really want to go out with her because she seems like a good time.
    Btw we are both big arsenal fans and I asked if she would go to a game with me, she said she would but she never really followed up or seemed too keen so I’m going to go to the game myself tomorrow.

How do I address this?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Meowcake)
    So I’ve been enjoying the whole idea of uni. I enjoy my course and love living in London!

However, I feel like I’m starting to feel depressed and homesick. I haven’t done fun things or gone out with anyone because people I consider friends don’t even invite me

For example, there’s a girl I’m close with (or at least I thought I was). She’s the only person who lives in my Accom who does the same course as me. Shortly before Christmas we started talking and revising/doing essays together. We even started to hang out during lectures/class and go home together. We both have different “friends” and she’s gone out more than me with her friends. She’s pretty much established strong friendships wheareas I haven’t yet.

We even messaged each other daily during Christmas break and exchanged our essays to give each other feedback before we submitted it.

I’ve noticed she goes out often and I want to go out with her and the friends she has in our accommodation. She never invited me though so one day I decided to tell her if she’s going out in the weekend, to invite me cos I wanna go out with her. She said yes no problem she’ll def invite me.

Ever since then, she has been going out but she’s never invited me. I see photos and snapchats of her out with other uni people and it gets me quite down.
    I’m not sure what it is because we still talk regardless, I’m just not sure why she isn’t inviting me out. Maybe she forgot (she was drinking at the time I asked her) and I’m not sure how to address it because she and I are pretty good friends so she can’t think I’m boring? I really want to go out with her because she seems like a good time.
    Btw we are both big arsenal fans and I asked if she would go to a game with me, she said she would but she never really followed up or seemed too keen so I’m going to go to the game myself tomorrow.

How do I address this?
    You are putting all your eggs in one basket. Ask her again but say it in such a way she has to make a choice i.e suggest something and then tie her down to a rough date or time. If she carries on bailing or forgetting then thats what sort of friend you have. I would suggest she is doing it deliberately and you will ned up looking elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You are putting all your eggs in one basket. Ask her again but say it in such a way she has to make a choice i.e suggest something and then tie her down to a rough date or time. If she carries on bailing or forgetting then thats what sort of friend you have. I would suggest she is doing it deliberately and you will ned up looking elsewhere.
    When I posted this, a few hours later she barged into my room and told me about her night out which was a bit weird and unexpected considering I was thinking about her all night! We chatted for a good few hours that night and I felt like I had my friend back. It’s so strange when you think about someone a lot and they end up coming to see you that same night.

She saw that I went to the match without her and she was bothered about it. We have spoken about it properly and it was all a case of her forgetting/misunderstanding and we have plans now. Thanks for your advice.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Meowcake)
    When I posted this, a few hours later she barged into my room and told me about her night out which was a bit weird and unexpected considering I was thinking about her all night! We chatted for a good few hours that night and I felt like I had my friend back. It’s so strange when you think about someone a lot and they end up coming to see you that same night.

She saw that I went to the match without her and she was bothered about it. We have spoken about it properly and it was all a case of her forgetting/misunderstanding and we have plans now. Thanks for your advice.
    This is very good, especially the fact you were able to talk. Maybe agree in future that you tell each other in order to maintain the friendship. If one of you needs a time out then thats ok as long as you let each other know. Please for you.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.