The Student Room Group

Choosing A Level Courses

Hello, I’ve applied and got offered a place at the sixth form of my choice but I still haven’t decided exactly what four courses I’d like to take. Originally, the courses I was interested in taking were fine art/graphics (still not completely sure which one to choose), photography, modern history and media studies. I do really want to end up doing something to do with graphic design and things like that, which is why I had thought of those. However I also really want to do biology because I enjoy it, even though I’m not the best at it. I was considering swapping media studies or biology because after looking at the course, I decided I wasn’t that into it anymore. I know that it would be good for my future career choice but I want something different, and it’s also the fact that I would have so much more coursework to do with media studies as well.I hope that makes sense and that someone can give me some advice, thank you :smile:
Original post by olaalexw
Hello, I’ve applied and got offered a place at the sixth form of my choice but I still haven’t decided exactly what four courses I’d like to take. Originally, the courses I was interested in taking were fine art/graphics (still not completely sure which one to choose), photography, modern history and media studies. I do really want to end up doing something to do with graphic design and things like that, which is why I had thought of those. However I also really want to do biology because I enjoy it, even though I’m not the best at it. I was considering swapping media studies or biology because after looking at the course, I decided I wasn’t that into it anymore. I know that it would be good for my future career choice but I want something different, and it’s also the fact that I would have so much more coursework to do with media studies as well.I hope that makes sense and that someone can give me some advice, thank you :smile:

Either look at what career you want or alternatively look at what degree you wish to do and then take A levels that you will need for the course an you can get high grades in.

Biology tends to go well with Chemistry or Maths.
For a design course then you will need a portfolio along with one or two relevant subjects.

Media studies doesnt do much for your options and is weak academically.

Have a look at these links.

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/six-things-you-need-to-know-before-making-your-a-level-choices

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-biology

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-qualifications-do-you-need-to-study-art-and-design
Original post by olaalexw

I think don’t do a levels that will limit you to just art and graphic design career paths. By doing biology, that opens so many more opportunities such as biomedical science or radiography for example. I suggest taking graphics, biology, photography (which will allow you to do forensic science if you decide to) and any other subjects you choose to take. I suggest only doing 3 A levels or a maximum of 4 because there is so much content to learn and remember - I struggle with remembering content from just 3!

Quick Reply

Latest