The Student Room Group

Illegible writing in exams... paying for a scribe each time....?

I have always had terrible handwriting which was obvious to me at high school/college where many teachers would complain saying my handwriting was illegible.

At A Level I used to type for exams in one of my essay based subjects. Though I do not know how my teacher got the exam board to allow me to do so, as I'm not sure if I actually have a condition that stops me from writing legibly. I write much more legibly when not under immense pressure to the point that some even questions if I really wrote the more legible piece of writing if I show them. I don't know if there any condition related to this but I've always had trouble getting words down onto paper (I can't express myself very well even when speaking too) and sometimes find myself just rushing to write something that I studied about down in exams.

Still, having just completed my January exams, where I had 3, I was told earlier last week that ALL my exam scripts was deemed illegible. I was made to pay an total amount of just above £30 (about £10 an hour) for a scribe who would type my answers up as a read them out. Seeing as though I have more exams in May, I am almost certain I'd have to do this whole process again and pay even more :erm:. Which is just a hefty amount to cough up each time.

Seeing as though I do have exams in the summer, is there anything I can do? And has anyone at university been in this position before and can give me advice on what to do?
Reply 1
If you don't have a diagnosed disability or medical condition that makes it difficult to write then you are expected to have learned to write legibly. All you can really do is practice writing.

If your school thought you might have dyslexia or dyspraxia or something like that and that's why you were given permission to type exams, you might want to contact your uni's disability services to arrange screening to see if it is likely you have a disability before getting a full test done as they are expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending