Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely the science I'm most interested in. Although I'm on course for a 9/8 grade at GCSE and I do well on tests, I feel like I don't actually understand the concepts being taught or why anything happens in Physics.

Do the concepts increase massively in difficulty at A-Level and if so, should I take it?

I'm good at maths and I'm on course for a 9 at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    From what I can tell at A-level. The grade people got at GCSE doesn't matter much at A-level. Some people got A*'s and are failing. Others got C's and are flying. Does your school run a taster session where you attend a-level lessons to help you chose
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by fecklessfloater)
    It's definitely the science I'm most interested in. Although I'm on course for a 9/8 grade at GCSE and I do well on tests, I feel like I don't actually understand the concepts being taught or why anything happens in Physics.

Do the concepts increase massively in difficulty at A-Level and if so, should I take it?

Maybe look at it from a different angle and start to think about what degree or career you might want. You can then decide whether you need it.

You can also talk to the teacher and other students at your school.

There is a big jump to A level, nut CGP I believe do some bridging guides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fecklessfloater)

My first question to you would be what other A Levels are you planning on taking (other than Physics)? I say this because my Sixth form doesn't let you take physics without maths at A Level as well, as the Physics is so maths-heavy.

The other thing to bear in mind is that Physics will become 1/3 or 1/4 of all of your subjects, so you'll be spending a lot more time doing Physics, which may help. That being said, Physics does (as with all sciences) get more difficult at A Level, and you will need to be able to understand what's going on in order to explain everything to the relevant depth etc.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to drop a message :-)

ReputationRep:
    Physics is a bit different to the other sciences at A level in that, rather than introducing lots of new topics, it covers a lot of the same stuff that's in GCSE but in more detail. For this reason, I have found it easier and more enjoyable than GCSE. Concepts that baffled me at GCSE (such as electric circuits) have become very clear due to gaining an actual understanding of what's going on (whereas I found at GCSE you skim the surface and have to try and remember and understand things without the foundation knowledge of what's really going on).
    Physics was my worst science at GCSE (I got an A* but that's the equivalent of an 8 and I've no idea if I would have got a 9 if it had been possible when I'd done it) but now I love it and get the best A level scores my teacher has ever seen.
    In summary, if you're interested in it and it's what you want to do, do it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaM19)
    Physics is a bit different to the other sciences at A level in that, rather than introducing lots of new topics, it covers a lot of the same stuff that's in GCSE but in more detail. For this reason, I have found it easier and more enjoyable than GCSE. Concepts that baffled me at GCSE (such as electric circuits) have become very clear due to gaining an actual understanding of what's going on (whereas I found at GCSE you skim the surface and have to try and remember and understand things without the foundation knowledge of what's really going on).
    Physics was my worst science at GCSE (I got an A* but that's the equivalent of an 8 and I've no idea if I would have got a 9 if it had been possible when I'd done it) but now I love it and get the best A level scores my teacher has ever seen.
    In summary, if you're interested in it and it's what you want to do, do it.
    Thanks, this is reassuring and what I've heard from many people. Right now it's quite frustrating not being able to understand some topics but hopefully when taught in depth at A level, it should be okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalo7854)
    My first question to you would be what other A Levels are you planning on taking (other than Physics)? I say this because my Sixth form doesn't let you take physics without maths at A Level as well, as the Physics is so maths-heavy.

The other thing to bear in mind is that Physics will become 1/3 or 1/4 of all of your subjects, so you'll be spending a lot more time doing Physics, which may help. That being said, Physics does (as with all sciences) get more difficult at A Level, and you will need to be able to understand what's going on in order to explain everything to the relevant depth etc.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to drop a message :-)
    Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to take Maths, Further Maths and Economics also. Not sure what I want to do yet, but Physics is the science I find most interesting even though I find it harder than Chem and Bio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Maybe look at it from a different angle and start to think about what degree or career you might want. You can then decide whether you need it.

You can also talk to the teacher and other students at your school.

There is a big jump to A level, nut CGP I believe do some bridging guides.
    Thanks, I will definitely be having a look at some of the bridging guides over the summer once I make my mind up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Art111111)
    From what I can tell at A-level. The grade people got at GCSE doesn't matter much at A-level. Some people got A*'s and are failing. Others got C's and are flying. Does your school run a taster session where you attend a-level lessons to help you chose
    Yes they did and I enjoyed it, but I'm still quite unsure.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.