Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm a 15 year old student, currently doing my GCSE year; I've begun to apply to different colleges and sixth forms. One particular college, however, I had my heart set on: Welbeck Defence Sixth Form College. It is a defence college; wherein, after completing my A-levels and then achieving a degree at a sister university, I would enter the forces at the level of Officer.

Part of this application was receiving a medical exam, in order to check my physical health. Unfortunately, I was unable to complete it fully as I didn't have a letter from my GP, regarding my asthma.

I had asthma when I was a child and haven't been affected by it at all in the past 5 years or so. We, my family and myself, were notified that I would be applicable to my chosen force, the RAF, as long as I hadn't had any attacks or anything similar in the past 3 years, which I hadn't.

So, after my exam, my mum took me to the doctors where we got a letter written from the doctor and my GP stating that I hadn't had any attacks and hadn't taken any medication for it recently. I then sent this to the medical team and waited for my reply.

Then, just yesterday, I came home from school and my mum gave me crushing news: I wasn't applicable for the RAF because I was deemed medically unfit. This was because I had taken oral steroids at age 8 and to be applicable, you need to have not taken steroids past age 5. This was horrible to go through and lots of tears ensued however, after asking for advice, my mum got back a huge response from friends and family.

We discovered that we could appeal for a position in the RAF if we had valid points. So I'm just wondering of anyone else has ever been through the same or a similar situation? And if so, any advice? Even if you haven't been through it, anything would help.

Thank you

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.