x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rattie)
    Why'd you tag me?
    He answered the obscure question I asked you a few posts ago. 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Whatever you say, it won’t change what I’ve said already.
    It’s way too early to decide.
    Just after one term and a bit is just like you’re still in the entrance hall of a big house.
    I mean, this is true, yes, but this is pretty much the only point at which I can reasonably transfer; most places won't do 3rd year entry. And it's late as it is!

We have a consensus – that I'm panicking unnecessarily 😐 – but at least now I know that credits aren't an issue, which is great

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, though – is there really not *anyone* who's actually gone through with a transfer and knows how it works with the lack of evidence of achievement?!

ReputationRep:
    Nobody could dance in the sixties, apparently…

ReputationRep:

We have a consensus – that I'm panicking unnecessarily 😐 –
    Most likely, yes.
    And many of the current and past first years are/had been in the same situation, and most of them overcome it.

I’m sure Parliament will pop in (perhaps after training for Lent Bumps! ) to give you very useful advice, but meanwhile, 1) talk to your DoS, 2) try getting touch with your college parents and ask them if they can introduce you to some seniors on English who can share their experience/advice, 3) talk to your fellow English students.

It’s important you don’t keep it in yourself.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I mean, this is true, yes, but this is pretty much the only point at which I can reasonably transfer; most places won't do 3rd year entry. And it's late as it is!

We have a consensus – that I'm panicking unnecessarily 😐 – but at least now I know that credits aren't an issue, which is great
    If a new university allows you to transfer into their course in Year 2 they won't normally use the prior university's Y1 module marks anyway, so yeah that's not (normally) the issue.

You *might* be able to get a Certificate of Education from Cambridge on completion of Year 1. I honestly don't know if that's really an option. I know it is from ICE (https://www.ice.cam.ac.uk) but of course they are a quite different operation at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely have no idea who my college parents are and my new DoS has no idea who I am

All the other 1st year English students at my college are going a bit crazy, but think I'm crazy for wanting to transfer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    If a new university allows you to transfer into their course in Year 2 they won't normally use the prior university's Y1 module marks anyway, so yeah that's not (normally) the issue.

You *might* be able to get a Certificate of Education from Cambridge on completion of Year 1. I honestly don't know if that's really an option. I know it is from ICE (https://www.ice.cam.ac.uk) but of course they are a quite different operation at Cambridge.
    I've never heard of that, thanks. If it looks like it's going to be an issue, I'll look into it.

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely have no idea who my college parents are and my new DoS has no idea who I am

All the other 1st year English students at my college are going a bit crazy, but think I'm crazy for wanting to transfer
    So you probably don’t know who your college sibling/s are, then....?
    It’s easy to find it out if you ask JCR......but I suppose you also don’t know them either??

If your DoS is new, go and introduce yourself. Get an appointment to see them. They’re there to help and guild you. That’s their primary role.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, I have a guild!

My DoS scares me a bit. She's been here since the sixties… I think my tutor will probably want me to see her, anyway.

No, I have no idea who anyone is… I'll ask on the Facebook group.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Awesome, I have a guild!

My DoS scares me a bit. She's been here since the sixties… I think my tutor will probably want me to see her, anyway.

So she will have seen it all before, and will give you the advice you need. And it sounds like your Tutor is supportive too.

The bottom line is of course you can leave and potentially be successful elsewhere. But by the sound of it you are enjoying the course and the way it's taught, just hating the workload.

The DoS and your Tutor are absolutely the best people to help you with that, and if necessary, will also be the best people to help you to transfer if it comes to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, I have a guild!

So relieved you’re at least on the FB group! Hurray!!
    Yep, talk to people. It’s really important. And the ‘people’ includes your tutor and DoS!
    And any senior English you can get your hand on!

ReputationRep:
    So she will have seen it all before, and will give you the advice you need. And it sounds like your Tutor is supportive too.

The bottom line is of course you can leave and potentially be successful elsewhere. But by the sound of it you are enjoying the course and the way it's taught, just hating the workload.

The DoS and your Tutor are absolutely the best people to help you with that, and if necessary, will also be the best people to help you to transfer if it comes to it.
    Yes, I need them on side, for references if nothing else. And yes, the course is amazing, and studying English is the only thing I want to do with my life (seriously, I can't imagine doing anything else – the question "what do you want to do after university?" just leaves me kind of blank and fish-like), but my health is also kind of important

I just got an email with next week's assignment from one of my supervisors, and haven't even done this week's yet (it's not due until Tuesday morning). It's an enormous email with six attachments and full of pointed comments hinting at the deficiencies of the group in general <argh>
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yes, I need them on side, for references if nothing else. And yes, the course is amazing, and studying English is the only thing I want to do with my life (seriously, I can't imagine doing anything else – the question "what do you want to do after university?" just leaves me kind of blank and fish-like), but my health is also kind of important

I just got an email with next week's assignment from one of my supervisors, and haven't even done this week's yet (it's not due until Tuesday morning). It's an enormous email with six attachments and full of pointed comments hinting at the deficiencies of the group in general <argh>
    yup, it can seem relentless. I presume you followed that situation last term where a Queens' DoS emailed their first years about how lacking they were. The DoS was rightly criticised for it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    yup, it can seem relentless. I presume you followed that situation last term where a Queens' DoS emailed their first years about how lacking they were. The DoS was rightly criticised for it.
    God, yes, it's nothing like that. Just several very pointed comments like "FINALLY, please find time to re-read your work, not
    just to proof for superficial correctness of expression but to etc.etc." (in context it's clearer that it's basically a subtweet for one of us, as are most of the others).

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Rattie;75932724
    My DoS scares me a bit. She's been here since the sixties…

[/QUOTE]

So that means she can't dance and you can! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    So that means she can't dance and you can! 😂
    I dance like an intoxicated squirrel.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Seriously, though – is there really not *anyone* who's actually gone through with a transfer and knows how it works with the lack of evidence of achievement?!
    It's really not an issue. Universities can make judgements on entry criteria and exercise that judgement in all sorts of unusual and unconventional circumstances. So long as your tutor provides a recommendation that assures the receiving university that 'Rattle [when well] is performing at a high 2.1 standard and was one of the strongest candidates in their entry cohort in 2017' or similar then you will be fine. There's no need for a formal exam grade, in the same manner that Universities can let homeschooled students with no formal exams in, or mature students using work experience etc.

Perhaps the more important question is - is Cambridge really so much more stressful that you can't cope there but will be able to cope at UCL/Bristol/Exeter or a similar RG university. In my experience, quite possibly not. The welfare system at Cambridge, with the double layer of Uni and College is really very good, and although the short terms are intense, the vacations are longer giving more catch-up time. I'm not sure, if you still stay in a top flight Uni, you are going to find it miles better elsewhere, and as supportive.

ReputationRep:
    I dance like an intoxicated squirrel.
    Doesn't everyone??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    It's really not an issue. Universities can make judgements on entry criteria and exercise that judgement in all sorts of unusual and unconventional circumstances. So long as your tutor provides a recommendation that assures the receiving university that 'Rattle [when well] is performing at a high 2.1 standard and was one of the strongest candidates in their entry cohort in 2017' or similar then you will be fine. There's no need for a formal exam grade, in the same manner that Universities can let homeschooled students with no formal exams in, or mature students using work experience etc.

Perhaps the more important question is - is Cambridge really so much more stressful that you can't cope there but will be able to cope at UCL/Bristol/Exeter or a similar RG university. In my experience, quite possibly not. The welfare system at Cambridge, with the double layer of Uni and College is really very good, and although the short terms are intense, the vacations are longer giving more catch-up time. I'm not sure, if you still stay in a top flight Uni, you are going to find it miles better elsewhere, and as supportive.
    I've been looking at a few places like those you mention but also at places like Kingston – my friend goes there, isn't well so doesn't go to seminars or lectures, and can't spend much time on work, and gets 2:1s…

Hell no am I looking at UCL, it would be easily as stressful plus they turned me down without an interview the first time round 😂

You make good points, I don't think the work would necessarily be THAT much easier elsewhere, but there's also the culture. And yes the welfare and support stuff here is very good.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.