Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just received confirmation of my place at Uni and will be applying for student finance when it opens. I am a mature student and have been working for the past 3 years but I do plan on giving my job up or going down to 16 hours if I am able too, I was just wondering how this affects my student finance? If I do leave my job I wont have any evidence of this until I start uni as I'm working up until my start date and obviously they ask about your household income. Many thanks for your help in advance.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by laurajade1701)
    Hi, I've just received confirmation of my place at Uni and will be applying for student finance when it opens. I am a mature student and have been working for the past 3 years but I do plan on giving my job up or going down to 16 hours if I am able too, I was just wondering how this affects my student finance? If I do leave my job I wont have any evidence of this until I start uni as I'm working up until my start date and obviously they ask about your household income. Many thanks for your help in advance.

Hi laurajade1701,

You can be confident that as a full time student over 25, we do not take your income into account, only unearned income is asked for on the application.

If you are married or living with a partner then they will be asked to provide their income to support your application.

Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi laurajade1701,

You can be confident that as a full time student over 25, we do not take your income into account, only unearned income is asked for on the application.

If you are married or living with a partner then they will be asked to provide their income to support your application.

Regards Rona
    Hi, thank you for your help. I'm not over 25 I'm 22...I'll be 23 when I go to Uni. I live with my Mum so I'm assuming it will just go off of her income? Also what is unearned income? Thank you again.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by laurajade1701)
    Hi, thank you for your help. I'm not over 25 I'm 22...I'll be 23 when I go to Uni. I live with my Mum so I'm assuming it will just go off of her income? Also what is unearned income? Thank you again.
    Hi laurajade,

Once you make your application you will indicate that your mum will be supporting your application, she will then be asked to provide her financial details.

Examples of student unearned income would be

Bank or Building Society Gross Interest
    • Property Lettings or Rent
    • Dividends from investments/shares/unit trusts
    • Trusts or Sponsorships
    • Pensions
    • Any other payment received for attending the course (This does not include University Bursaries).

Regards Rona

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.