Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a question being asked every year, but I’m now deciding which one to be my insurance. Is there much difference in terms of course structure/difficulty, job prospect etc. Both environments are okay for me so it isn’t an issue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Lau)
    I know this is a question being asked every year, but I’m now deciding which one to be my insurance. Is there much difference in terms of course structure/difficulty, job prospect etc. Both environments are okay for me so it isn’t an issue
    Choose whichever one you want to go to. I’d say Warwick is better for Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    Choose whichever one you want to go to. I’d say Warwick is better for Maths.
    If you dont mind me asking, what are you basing this on?
    I am always under the impression that since Imperial has the better reputation as an overall university, the job prospects are slightly better for Imperial. Is this true in any way?

ReputationRep:
    Do you need STEP for warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohan77642)
    Do you need STEP for warwick?
    No it’s an unconditional offer. But Imperial asks for my Physics (grade A). That’s why I’m hesitating cuz imperial has more uncertainty....also concerning about the living cost in London
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    What is your firm offer and Warwick/Imperial offers. Note that Warwick in particular is very fussy and will not allow even a small miss from its offer.

So Warwick's typical A*A*A 1 / A*A*A* / A*A*AA will not be relaxed. I suspect Imperial will have a similar view.

Also, only about 10% of applicants end up at their Insurance.

For it to be a proper insurance you might be better firming a lower offering university.

BTW, is it me or is Imperial's website acting weird? I can't see any content on the course pages.
    e.g. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...thematics-bsc/

Looks like:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 09.49.05.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  273.8 KB

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    No it’s an unconditional offer. But Imperial asks for my Physics (grade A). That’s why I’m hesitating cuz imperial has more uncertainty....also concerning about the living cost in London
    Just seen this. Might have been useful to mention this in your OP, including your budget concerns...

Imperial has pretty generous bursaries if you qualify for them.

I suggest going with the unconditional as that's a proper insurance (i.e. no additional requirements), but only if *you* prefer the course and the university.

ReputationRep:
    Aaah ok.
    I am currently holding an offer from Warwick, and am waiting on Imperial (probably wont get an offer bcoz MAT wasnt the best). So if by some miracle I get an offer from Imperial then I would be in the same position as you. Therefore this thread holds some relevance to me.

Personally, the idea of living in London is more attractive to me compared to Coventry, so if I do get an offer from Imperial I am most likely gonna firm Imperial. But since you said that both environments are suitable for you, then the differences are very minimal.
    Maybe (I might be wrong), Imperial has a slightly better prospect for jobs after graduation?

ReputationRep:
    If you dont mind me asking, what are you basing this on?
    I am always under the impression that since Imperial has the better reputation as an overall university, the job prospects are slightly better for Imperial. Is this true in any way?
    The maths department. Imperial does have a better reputation, but that doesn’t matter as much. In general, Warwick’s maths department is well known and popular. I don’t think reputation will matter as much when you’ll be looking for a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Just seen this. Might have been useful to mention this in your OP, including your budget concerns...

I suggest going with the unconditional as that's a proper insurance (i.e. no additional requirements), but only if *you* prefer the course and the university.
    Hi
    Since you are so knowledgable on universities, could you tell me whether there is any difference between imperial and warwick for job prospects.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    What is your firm offer and Warwick/Imperial offers. Note that Warwick in particular is very fussy and will not allow even a small miss from its offer.

So Warwick's typical A*A*A 1 / A*A*A* / A*A*AA will not be relaxed. I suspect Imperial will have a similar view.

Also, only about 10% of applicants end up at their Insurance.

For it to be a proper insurance you might be better firming a lower offering university.

BTW, is it me or is Imperial's website acting weird? I can't see any content on the course pages.
    e.g. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/...thematics-bsc/

Looks like:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 09.49.05.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  273.8 KB

Yeah their website is messed up for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    The maths department. Imperial does have a better reputation, but that doesn’t matter as much. In general, Warwick’s maths department is well known and popular. I don’t think reputation will matter as much when you’ll be looking for a job.
    Thanks.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hi
    Since you are so knowledgable on universities, could you tell me whether there is any difference between imperial and warwick for job prospects.

Thank you.
    Job prospects will be similar, and are more down to you than your university...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Job prospects will be similar, and are more down to you than your university...
    Thank you, yet again.

ReputationRep:

Thank you! Will think about it carefully
    P.S. I’m an international student, so not eligible for any bursary hhh

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.