Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does a God exist? IMO unlikely.

If a god exists, then that also raises more questions than not (such as how did the god come into existence). Simply saying "it has always existed" is not a compelling/convincing answer for me.

Nothing of course can be absolutely ruled out.
    But I do believe that in the scenario where a god did exist, humanity has only a very limited understanding of God and how the whole system actually works (I believe that none of the religions have the absolute right take on god).

Personally I feel that God is simply a construct of man and that in the archaeological and historical records, (like most things in life) you can see a clear evolution in religion as a social and philosophical construct etc. I also believe that the overwhelming majority of evidence points towards there being no divine creator behind this planet/life on Earth/the solar system/galaxy/whatever.

HOWEVER.

What I think is a more important question to be asking, is not whether God (or Gods? Many religions have claimed a more complex divine system exists (which is no less plausible than the existence of a singular God)) exists, but whether religion has a good place in society or not. Because while religion of course inspires many people to do good things (giving to charity, creating unity by fostering sense of community etc), it just as much arguably achieves the opposite (creating division, justifying violence etc).

Religion exists in society whether we personally believe in God or not. And while the books don't ever change, people's interpretation of them is constantly in flux/changing. So how far do we go to tolerate religion? How separate should religion be from state? Should schools be allowed different curriculum's based on religious ideology? What should be tolerated in the name of religion (homophobia, sexism, violence? Almost all books condone these things somewhere or another)? Etc.

We cannot pretend that religion is simply a matter of personal belief, because votes are constantly affected by prevailing religious influenced social attitudes (which in turn affects scientific research funding, laws, social idea's on things such as women's rights, euthanasia, capital punishment and sexual liberty etc).

Even if we don't all feel affected by God, we are all affected by religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jang Gwangnam)
    Well this was what he told the believers since it's Satan's task to misguide us, he urges us to sin, it's up to us choose whether we should or shouldn't... we have free will, unlike angels so sinning is something that's easy to do...
    If we have free will, then how is God omniscient?

Also, if we have free will then why do we have to sin based on Satan's decisions? Can't we just make bad decisions of our own accord?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feastful)
    Does a God exist? IMO unlikely.

If a god exists, then that also raises more questions than not (such as how did the god come into existence). Simply saying "it has always existed" is not a compelling/convincing answer for me.

Nothing of course can be absolutely ruled out.
    But I do believe that in the scenario where a god did exist, humanity has only a very limited understanding of God and how the whole system actually works (I believe that none of the religions have the absolute right take on god).

Personally I feel that God is simply a construct of man and that in the archaeological and historical records, (like most things in life) you can see a clear evolution in religion as a social and philosophical construct etc. I also believe that the overwhelming majority of evidence points towards there being no divine creator behind this planet/life on Earth/the solar system/galaxy/whatever.

HOWEVER.

What I think is a more important question to be asking, is not whether God (or Gods? Many religions have claimed a more complex divine system exists (which is no less plausible than the existence of a singular God)) exists, but whether religion has a good place in society or not. Because while religion of course inspires many people to do good things (giving to charity, creating unity by fostering sense of community etc), it just as much arguably achieves just as much the opposite (creating division, justifying violence etc).

Religion exists in society whether we personally believe in God or not. And while the books don't ever change, people's interpretation of them is constantly in flux/changing. So how far do we go to tolerate religion? How separate should religion be from state? Should schools be allowed different curriculum's based on religious ideology? What should be tolerated in the name of religion (homophobia, sexism, violence? Almost all books condone these things somewhere or another)? Etc.

We cannot pretend that religion is simply a matter of personal belief, because votes are constantly affected by prevailing religion influenced social attitudes (which in turn affects scientific research funding, laws, social idea's on things such as women's rights, euthanasia, capital punishment and sexual liberty etc).

Even if we don't all feel affected by God, we are all affected by religion.
    Yep. Why don't we move on to that? So, here's my question: is God right?

Nope. If we take his actions on the grounds of ethics, which I've never read a single book, by the way, I don't think he has any place to influence society. Remember, he destroyed that whole city because people were having fun. Also, he tries to justify homophobia, violence, sexism. All of which are undeniably bad things.

ReputationRep:
    Well this was what he told the believers since it's Satan's task to misguide us, he urges us to sin, it's up to us choose whether we should or shouldn't... we have free will, unlike angels so sinning is something that's easy to do...
    If angles don’t have free will then how did Lucifer rebel in the first place?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Well Lucifer just challenged god’s authority and he got banished and shunned, ye i’m much more aligned with him! He didn’t want to be a slave to God, and god did what he does when someone doesn’t follow his orders and threw his toys (and lucifer) out the pram.

God didn’t forgive anyone when he flooded the whole world and killed everyone except Noah & Co. god has a history of punishing and killing those who do wrong, no forgiveness clause. He isn’t really meaning ask for forgiveness he’s saying “stop doing the thing I don’t like and conform to my rules, and maybe i’ll let you into heaven”.
    You got some bible stories out... (I'm not well versed when it comes to Bible stories)

God gave everyone he wiped out back then a chance, he sent Prophets everywhere - it was up to the people to believe in what they were told... Back then the people were also inhumanely barbaric, they'd cannibalise and slaughter everything. If God let these unchanging people live then that would be the really terrifying thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkilled)
    Well, I would say that there isn't a god. Not that I think that it isn't possible for some higher entity to exist: that could be credible, but I don't think there is enough evidence to support that belief. However, I do think that the God described in religious texts does not exist.

This is because it is not logically possible for a god to possess any of the following factors:
    - Omnipotence
    - Omniscience
    - Omnipresence
    - Omnibenevolence
    - Supernatural

Omnipotence is not possible because you can't make a square circle. Omniscience because then the God would've known his own existence before he existed. Which is impossible. Omnibenevolence speaks for itself, and I refuse to believe that God is supernatural giving that his existence MUST have a scientific explanation. As for Omnipresence, the universe constantly expands. So there.
    No, what you mean is the problem of evil. Which can't be explained at all. Where God can't be all love, knowing and powerful. Because 1 quality contradicts. First formulated by Epicurus

I rather die believing in the off chance there is God as well as heaven and hell (and have a chance to go heaven), than forsake myself and refuse to believe in God (and go hell as a result).
    It's called Pascal's Wager and you shouldn't believe in it. Simply believing to go to heaven as a sole reason is very pathetic. One problem i will point out is Let's assume God is all knowing, then he knows you believing in him just to go to heaven and that's just failed trickery on your part. God would never accept someone like that.
    Why use logic to define something that is beyond your comprehension? God created logic so obviously he can defy it to.
    That's just God of the Gaps.

ReputationRep:
    If the only way to prove the existence of God is through his texts, then how do we justify the existence of God? Theoretically, some drunk guy could've written them all down. How do we know they come on the authority of God?
    Miracles mate... big ass miracles...

ReputationRep:
    You really have done your research! Well done, its nice to see a dedicated theologian on here. Now, so omnipotence is anything that is logically possible. Then how did God create the universe? That isn't logically possible. Logic dictates you can't make something from nothing. I'm interested to see what you think about this. Also, before you start quoting Stephen Hawking, we're talking about something supernatural here. So you can't use science to justify God's existence.
    I am a high school kid so I wouldn't know the answer to the how he created the universe etc etc so I can only guess. Although, I am sure a professor could provide you with a somewhat decent answer though. We will just have to wait and see if one shows up.
    The only thing I can say is, once again, logic is defined by God and, secondly, that science doesn't provide a definitive answer to how the universe was actually created. Science provides the most plausible answer and not the actual answer. Hence, it might not have been the case that the universe was actually made from nothing; that is just the common belief. Further, it really depends on how you view the universe in relation to God. If we were to suggest that God is not contained within our universe but outside it and looking in, like if we were to look into an ant farm, then that would change things a lot. For example, he could have used his materials, from beyond the universe, to create the universe and, thus, to the inhabitants of the universe, it would seem that everything came from nowhere and nothing especially since we cannot see beyond the universe. In addition, this could be a rebuttal to your argument about omnipresent which contains the premise about the universe expanding as well.

Any supposition and stipulation could be made about anything that is related to God since there is no proof. Many of the arguments against the existence of God on TSR limits the conception of God and that is why it would seem absolutely absurd to believe in him. Overall, it may be a good idea to choose to be agnostic rather than atheist or theist; uncertainty should remain a uncertainty rather than be transformed into a belief or a disbelief (my view).

P.S: I am sure there is someone out there who can prove my response to be stupid but the point is that it still doesn't prove that God doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp2)
    No, what you mean is the problem of evil. Which can't be explained at all. Where God can't be all love, knowing and powerful. Because 1 quality contradicts. First formulated by Epicurus

It's called Pascal's Wager and you shouldn't believe in it. Simply believing to go to heaven as a sole reason is very pathetic. One problem i will point out is Let's assume God is all knowing, then he knows you believing in him just to go to heaven and that's just failed trickery on your part. God would never accept someone like that.

That's just God of the Gaps.
    Yep. I did mean the problem of evil. Which I think actually does logically refute the existence of a christian God. And I completely agree with your stance on Pascal's Wager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp2)

That's where sincerity come into place
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by MiszshorTeea786)
    Sir, I would appreciate if you would please stop making duplicates of my original account.

Thank you.
    This is my original account 'Misz.' I can't say the same about yours.

Just stop please. It's not funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RenéDescartes)
    I am a high school kid so I wouldn't know the answer to the how he created the universe etc etc so I can only guess. Although, I am sure a professor could provide you with a somewhat decent answer though. We will just have to wait and see if one shows up.
    The only thing I can say is, once again, logic is defined by God and, secondly, that science doesn't provide a definitive answer to how the universe was actually created. Science provides the most plausible answer and not the actual answer. Hence, it might not have been the case that the universe was actually made from nothing; that is just the common belief. Further, it really depends on how you view the universe in relation to God. If we were to suggest that God is not contained within our universe but outside it and looking in, like if we were to look into an ant farm, then that would change things a lot. For example, he could have used his materials, from beyond the universe, to create the universe and, thus, to the inhabitants of the universe, it would seem that everything came from nowhere especially since we cannot see beyond the universe. In addition, this could be a rebuttal to your argument about omnipresent which contains the premise about the universe expanding as well.

Any speculation could be made about anything that is related to God since there is not proof. Many of the arguments against the existence of God on TSR limits the conception of God and that is why it would seem absolutely absurd to believe in him. Overall, it may be a good idea to choose to be agnostic rather than atheist or theist; uncertainty should remain a uncertainty rather than be transformed into a belief or a disbelief (my view).

P.S: I am sure there is someone out there who can prove my response to be stupid but the point is that it still doesn't prove that God doesn't exist.
    I am an agnostic. I just don't think that such a being described in religious texts could exist. As for creating something from nothing, I really don't know what to say. I'll do some research and get back to you on that one; we can have a conversation about it.

ReputationRep:
    That's where sincerity come into place
    What do you mean by this?

ReputationRep:
    Well Lucifer just challenged god’s authority and he got banished and shunned, ye i’m much more aligned with him! He didn’t want to be a slave to God, and god did what he does when someone doesn’t follow his orders and threw his toys (and lucifer) out the pram.

God didn’t forgive anyone when he flooded the whole world and killed everyone except Noah & Co. god has a history of punishing and killing those who do wrong, no forgiveness clause. He isn’t really meaning ask for forgiveness he’s saying “stop doing the thing I don’t like and conform to my rules, and maybe i’ll let you into heaven”.
    Exactly! God looks like a dictator in Satan's situation. If he's a dictator, he definitely has no place in society.

ReputationRep:
    If we have free will, then how is God omniscient?

Also, if we have free will then why do we have to sin based on Satan's decisions? Can't we just make bad decisions of our own accord?
    Satan and his followers urges us to Sin, he can't force us.

The reason he does that is because this is the challenge he placed before God. He looks down upon human kind, so he told God he wouldn't prostrate to the mud body of Adam when God told Satan to.

ReputationRep:
    Satan and his followers urges us to Sin, he can't force us.

The reason he does that is because this is the challenge he placed before God. He looks down upon human kind, so he told God he wouldn't prostrate to the mud body of Adam when God told Satan to.
    Exactly how does Satan "urge"? Also, so Satan becomes Satan on the grounds of not looking at a naked guy?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by this?
    It's when what you say is what you'll do. You won't pull any strings and just do what you said.

ReputationRep:
    Since there’s no solid evidence either way, we can’t really say with certainty whether there is or isn’t a god.

Personally I don’t believe in it, but I did growing up and understand why people do. It’d be nice to think there’s something out there watching over me.
    No. But what we can do is refute the existence of a certain type of God.

ReputationRep:
    You got some bible stories out... (I'm not well versed when it comes to Bible stories)

God gave everyone he wiped out back then a chance, he sent Prophets everywhere - it was up to the people to believe in what they were told... Back then the people were also inhumanely barbaric, they'd cannibalise and slaughter everything. If God let these unchanging people live then that would be the really terrifying thing...
    Giving people a ‘chance’ isn’t the same as forgiveness. How can you know they were unchanging if he drowned them all? How many of those would have been children? Babies? Did they have a chance for forgiveness?

In the bible anyone who stands up to god or doesn’t follow his rules faces death in horrible torturous ways. So why give people free will, if you punish and kill them for using it to make their own life choices? If a leader of a country acts like this we call them dictators. Look at north korea.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly how does Satan "urge"?
    Temptation is the best word to describe it.

He essentially is the evil angel (Satan isn't an angle, he's a Jin) portrayed in cartoons on your left shoulder. He'll whisper in to your 'ears' the bad things you should do.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.