You’ve probably clicked on this if you’re still conflicted about...
WHAT TO CHOOSE FOR YOUR GCSES
so, hello, I’m here to help!
I’m in Year 10, and picked my options last year.
I KNOW HOW IT FEELS.
I decided to create this thread, and I’m fully aware that the student room is full of mostly university students and a level students so I don’t know if it will be of any use at all, but if any of you are not sure what to take – this thread’s here for you!
If you’re just looking for a bit of advice, here are my 5 top tips...
1. Pick the subjects you enjoy; you’ve got to study them for the next two years and there’s no point picking a subject that you know will BORE YOU TO DEATH
2. Have a mix of academic and creative subjects; if your timetable is made up of all academic subjects you’re likely to enjoy lessons a lot less. Having creative subjects helps to break it up a bit and can also unload a bit of stress of you!
3. Pick subjects you’ll do well in; if you’re predicted to fail a subject, maybe it’s not smart to choose it. Unless you’ll make it your mission to improve your grade in that subject, go for the ones you’re predicted to do well in or pass.
4. Don’t pick a subject because you like the teacher; loads of my friends did this and ended up with a terrible one! It’s really unlikely you’ll get that teacher for the next two or three years of your gcse course, so don’t base your decisions on this.
5. Make the most of those options evenings you; ask the teachers for advice, they know you best (in terms of whether the subject is for you or not) so they will be incredibly helpful in influencing your decision!
If you’re considering a subject that you haven’t done before – such as media, business studies or health and social care, try to do your research! Find out the exam board you’ll be on for that course and take a look at what it’s all about. From that, you should hopefully have some idea of if the subject will suit you.
That’s what this thread is for!
Ask whatever questions you like, and I’m sure there’ll be plenty of people who can help you out
Just want to discuss your options?
Let us know what you’re planning on taking!
(and hopefully this thread won’t be dead. That would be awkward! Keeping my fingers crossed!)