Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I think this is a really good idea to help all youngsters out who are struggling to chose their gcse options! I’m in Year 9 and so I’m choosing my options currently. It took me a while but I think I’ve landed on Triple science, history and Child Develpment. Any thoughts and replies would be greatly appreciated x

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has questions about French, History, Computer Science, triple, or BTEC music I can answer x
    Y11 here!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Thanks you answered my question for me. History, my son loves this subject but he doesn’t like writing and can’t produce it quick enough. Geography is definitely the way to go then. He’s also picked tripleScience and unsure yet if drama or graphic... Graphics would be more beneficial to him long run. However he doesn’t particularly enjoy school and loves drama. He’s so torn.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I’m currently making my GCSE choices and I’m stressed. I want to do Geography, Computer Science and Music however the school only allows us to pick two. I have talked to my head of year and she said that it would be difficult to do three or more due to timetabling reasons but she did not say anything about not being allowed to do more than two.

Does anyone know how I could be able to make my reasons stronger or who else I should approach?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinkookie)
    I'm in year 9 and these are the options I've chosen and handed in:
    French
    History
    Geography
    Computer Science

However I am starting to worry since I don't enjoy geography although I am not bad at it, and I like history a lot more (always wanted to study at A level) I think I will do fine however I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me about the workload for doing both of these subjects? I am an avid essay lover but I wonder if there is a lot of work involved and a lot to remember when doing both history and geography?
    if you like essays then go for it!
    i took history and geography and i’m hating it - BECAUSE I HATE THE SUBJECTS!
    so if you like the subjects it shouldn’t be a problem, at my school the workload isn’t too bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.L.G)
    Hi. I think this is a really good idea to help all youngsters out who are struggling to chose their gcse options! I’m in Year 9 and so I’m choosing my options currently. It took me a while but I think I’ve landed on Triple science, history and Child Develpment. Any thoughts and replies would be greatly appreciated x
    wow child development sounds so cool!
    if my school offered it id probably choose it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoulikaS2003)
    Hi, I’m currently making my GCSE choices and I’m stressed. I want to do Geography, Computer Science and Music however the school only allows us to pick two. I have talked to my head of year and she said that it would be difficult to do three or more due to timetabling reasons but she did not say anything about not being allowed to do more than two.

Does anyone know how I could be able to make my reasons stronger or who else I should approach?

Thank you.
    can i ask how many gcses you would be taking overall with just the two options?

ReputationRep:
    Im in year 9 and did my options last year. I took double science (which my teachers advised against) geography, ICT, photography (which is the first year my school have ever done the course) and Spanish which I later swapped with history. My advice to people choosing their options is to take a language!!!!!! I really regret not taking a language now and wish I could swap geography for history instead. Though I am trying to learn Spanish outside of school but it is a bit of a challenge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    can i ask how many gcses you would be taking overall with just the two options?
    I will be taking 9 GCSEs including the two options.

ReputationRep:
    not too bad then! see if you can persuade them but the more you have, the bigger workload you’ll have!

ReputationRep:
    That’s how many the triple science students do at my school, we have one after school lesson per week though. 10 qualifications is manageable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    not too bad then! see if you can persuade them but the more you have, the bigger workload you’ll have!
    I know it’s going to be a lot for me to handle but I know I’m going to be predicted high grades and I think it will be worth it as music is something I love and I also get an additional qualification!

ReputationRep:
    I know it’s going to be a lot for me to handle but I know I’m going to be predicted high grades and I think it will be worth it as music is something I love and I also get an additional qualification!
    yes that would be really beneficial!

ReputationRep:
    HI guys, I'm pretty new to TSR, so bare with me.

I'm a year 9 student, we pick our options in year 9. I've decided to do these subjects:
    English Lit
    English Lang
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    History
    Sociology

Now those are the subjects I'm definitely picking, but now I need to pick another subject and I'm so conflicted on what to choose.
    It has to be one out of : Computer Science, French, Drama, BTEC Music.

Computer Science I find a bit boring, but I'm great at it usually.
    I'm alright at French, I get a bit confused when it comes to grammar so I'd have to study a lot for it
    Drama is good as well, all my subjects are academic so it would be nice to have a 'break subject' so to speak, however I do enjoy most of the subjects I'm picking anyways.
    Music I've always loved, I perform in concerts at my school. I would've jumped on the opportunity to do music GCSE but my school only offers BTEC.

With Music and Drama, I don't want being taken out of lessons for exams etc. to affect my other, perhaps more important subjects. French and Computer Science would add a lot more work as well, especially as my Computer Science would be AQA and apparently that is a lot harder than OCR. A language would also be beneficial. So questions I actually want answered:

If you do French, how hard is it? Is it boring?
    If you do Computer Science, how hard is it? Is it boring?
    If you do Drama/Music, does it affect your more academic subjects?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralPrints)
    Girlllll this is such a great idea!!! Wish i had this when i was choosing my options!
    Same haha stressed so much! Now that i pretty much finishing kinda thinking people put too much effort in this

ReputationRep:
    I took psychology, geography, food preparation and nutrition and health and social. Feel free to ask. Btw all interesting and easy.. which is important so u can concentrate on your cores

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Year 10 student, and here is some of my advice:
    -If you're in choosing subjects in Year 8 you may not have a full grasp of subjects - I chose Geography, Computer Science and Graphics; but if I chose them in Year 8 I would've chosen Spanish, History and Computer Science. PLEASE BE SURE ABOUT YOUR SUBJECTS!!!
    -Choose subjects you will enjoy, because you are more likely to get a good grade in something you enjoy
    -If something doesn't turn out to be what you thought, ask to swap. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN UNLESS YOU ASK

Willing to answer any questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AB2907)
    HI guys, I'm pretty new to TSR, so bare with me.

I'm a year 9 student, we pick our options in year 9. I've decided to do these subjects:
    English Lit
    English Lang
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    History
    Sociology

Now those are the subjects I'm definitely picking, but now I need to pick another subject and I'm so conflicted on what to choose.
    It has to be one out of : Computer Science, French, Drama, BTEC Music.

Computer Science I find a bit boring, but I'm great at it usually.
    I'm alright at French, I get a bit confused when it comes to grammar so I'd have to study a lot for it
    Drama is good as well, all my subjects are academic so it would be nice to have a 'break subject' so to speak, however I do enjoy most of the subjects I'm picking anyways.
    Music I've always loved, I perform in concerts at my school. I would've jumped on the opportunity to do music GCSE but my school only offers BTEC.

With Music and Drama, I don't want being taken out of lessons for exams etc. to affect my other, perhaps more important subjects. French and Computer Science would add a lot more work as well, especially as my Computer Science would be AQA and apparently that is a lot harder than OCR. A language would also be beneficial. So questions I actually want answered:

If you do French, how hard is it? Is it boring?
    If you do Computer Science, how hard is it? Is it boring?
    If you do Drama/Music, does it affect your more academic subjects?

Thanks!
    I do Computer Science, but on the OCR syllabus - and both exam boards are pretty similar with content. I enjoy it, but the theory can be quite challenging. Also, no-one knows what is happening with the Controlled Assessment for your Year Group! It may be reinstated, it may be cancelled once again - just take caution. Overall, GCSE Computer Science is brilliant, but is challenging and requires you to be very logical.

ReputationRep:
    Do these options look ok?
    Geography
    Art
    Triple science
    R.S
    Eng Lit
    Eng Lang
    PE Core
    Maths

I have to submit my options in 2 days and I’m still undecided on French or German. I like the French language more but I’m not good at pronouncing it unlike with German. German grammar is generally harder but with french it’s more straight forward. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinxx)
    Do these options look ok?
    Geography
    Art
    Triple science
    R.S
    Eng Lit
    Eng Lang
    PE Core
    Maths

I have to submit my options in 2 days and I’m still undecided on French or German. I like the French language more but I’m not good at pronouncing it unlike with German. German grammar is generally harder but with french it’s more straight forward. Any advice?
    i would go for french if you like it more. speaking will develop through your course!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.