Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The 2018 GCSE Options/Preferences Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I was choosing my options and I came across a bit of a conundrum, I want to take Drama and RE however I only have one slot left so if I don’t pick drama for my options in college? I know I’m taking Spanish, fine art ( or sociology depending ) and graphics
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    i would go for french if you like it more. speaking will develop through your course!
    I’m still reluctant to pick French since german is the safest option for me- my older brother and sister both did german GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesomerz)
    Hi, I’m planning to do the IGCSE CIE and I’m planning to take these subjects:
    English Language
    English Literature
    Extended Math
    Additional Math
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    BM (National Language)
    Computer Science
    History/Geography/Business Studies

What do you guys think about the last option that I have, I just cant choose between all 3 ?
    I’ll most likely choose History out of those 3 as Im interested in it, but Geography is more towards STEM (which is good ??) and Business Studies seems interesting and a good skill to have.
    Also is Business Studies considered as one of the “soft subject” in IGCSE ??
    I am in my final year of my degree studying a science. I did triple science and history as some of my GCSE options. Pick what you enjoy the most, if you are doing all the sciences and maths it really will not affect your future in science by choosing a history GCSE over geography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix789)
    I am in my final year of my degree studying a science. I did triple science and history as some of my GCSE options. Pick what you enjoy the most, if you are doing all the sciences and maths it really will not affect your future in science by choosing a history GCSE over geography.
    Thanks !!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, these are the subjects I’m planning to do:
    English
    English Literature
    Maths
    Triple Science
    R.E
    German
    Geography
    Music

Does this combination seem suitable for being a lawyer? Please let me know, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoulikaS2003)
    Hi, these are the subjects I’m planning to do:
    English
    Maths
    Triple Science
    R.E
    German
    Geography
    Music

Does this combination seem suitable for being a lawyer? Please let me know, thanks.
    for law, it doesn’t really matter at this stage!
    some people suggest history, but as long as you have some essay based subjects you’re good to go :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    for law, it doesn’t really matter at this stage!
    some people suggest history, but as long as you have some essay based subjects you’re good to go :yep:
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm choosing this year and I'm almost certain I want to do

- English Literature
    - English Language
    - Maths
    - Biology
    - Chemistry
    - Physics
    - Geography
    - Spanish
    - French
    - Drama

With the intention of studying law/languages (or possibly even maths) at - hopefully - Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooschool4cool)

- English Literature
    - English Language
    - Maths
    - Biology
    - Chemistry
    - Physics
    - Geography
    - Spanish
    - French
    - Drama

With the intention of studying law/languages (or possibly even maths) at - hopefully - Oxford
    great variety of subjects and it sets you up well for the future! :yep:

ReputationRep:

- English Literature
    - English Language
    - Maths
    - Biology
    - Chemistry
    - Physics
    - Geography
    - Spanish
    - French
    - Drama

Looks like we have a similar range of subjects with the same motive. (I’m also interested in going to Oxford to study law).

I suggest you study history, R.E or sociology as these subjects can help you gain a better understanding of people and help you gain debating skills.

Just out of interest, which type of lawyer do you want to be? I’m planning to be either a human rights or criminal lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like we have a similar range of subjects with the same motive. (I’m also interested in going to Oxford to study law).

I suggest you study history, R.E or sociology as these subjects can help you gain a better understanding of people and help you gain debating skills.

Just out of interest, which type of lawyer do you want to be? I’m planning to be either a human rights or criminal lawyer.
    Thank you! I really love History (but prefer Geography) and the teaching at my school isn't exactly impressive. I'm also not interested at ALL in the GCSE History content, as I am interested in ancient and modern history, but the course at my school is mostly early modern. My school doesn't offer sociology, and RE is something I have been considering instead of a second language, but I absolutely ADORE languages, and I would probably get better grades in them, so I'm going to keep those. (Drama is obviously my 'soft' option, but it's also my best subject and my teacher says that I am likely to get a 9, and that if I don't I will most definitely get an 8, it's also one of my favourite subjects!) Despite this, RE will definitely be my reserve option! I am quite good at English, though, so as long as I get a high grade this will hopefully prepare me. I have also spoken to professors from the university who have said that they accept candidates from a science background without any essay based subjects at all, who do extremely well on the course.

As for the type of law I'm interested in, I'm not really sure (and I don't even know if I want to be a lawyer!). Criminal law seems interesting, but I'm not sure. If I did languages at university I might want to go into the foreign office, but again, I don't know

What did you choose/are you choosing?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I really love History (but prefer Geography) and the teaching at my school isn't exactly impressive. I'm also not interested at ALL in the GCSE History content, as I am interested in ancient and modern history, but the course at my school is mostly early modern. My school doesn't offer sociology, and RE is something I have been considering instead of a second language, but I absolutely ADORE languages, and I would probably get better grades in them, so I'm going to keep those. (Drama is obviously my 'soft' option, but it's also my best subject and my teacher says that I am likely to get a 9, and that if I don't I will most definitely get an 8, it's also one of my favourite subjects!) Despite this, RE will definitely be my reserve option! I am quite good at English, though, so as long as I get a high grade this will hopefully prepare me. I have also spoken to professors from the university who have said that they accept candidates from a science background without any essay based subjects at all, who do extremely well on the course.

As for the type of law I'm interested in, I'm not really sure (and I don't even know if I want to be a lawyer!). Criminal law seems interesting, but I'm not sure. If I did languages at university I might want to go into the foreign office, but again, I don't know

What did you choose/are you choosing?

These are my subjects
    English
    English Literature
    Maths
    Triple Science
    German
    R.E
    Geography
    Music

By the way, I agree on your choice of choosing geography because geography is my world (see what I did there 😂). I love history equally but I got a level 8b in geography (19/20 in my last test).

I’m not trying to show off or anything but another reason why I am considering geography over history is because I was told that I would be doing really well if I were to sit my geography exam tomorrow. My geography teacher went so far that he ended up betting with one of the History teachers on what I was going to pick for GCSEs (looks like my geography teacher won the bet). 😂

ReputationRep:
    These are my subjects
    English
    English Literature
    Maths
    Triple Science
    German
    R.E
    Geography
    Music

By the way, I agree on your choice of choosing geography because geography is my world (see what I did there 😂). I love history equally but I got a level 8b in geography (19/20 in my last test).

I’m not trying to show off or anything but another reason why I am considering geography over history is because I was told that I would be doing really well if I were to sit my geography exam tomorrow. My geography teacher went so far that he ended up betting with one of the History teachers on what I was going to pick for GCSEs (looks like my geography teacher won the bet). 😂
    Oh yeah, we do have similar subjects!! I do really well in geography toooo but my best subjects are maths, Spanish and French (I always get full marks in French and Spanish and in maths I generally get 97.5%/100%) have you started taking your GCSEs yet, becuase the RE classes at my school are generally really small(meaning I don't actually know anyone that took it) so I'm interested to see what it's like!

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, we do have similar subjects!! I do really well in geography toooo but my best subjects are maths, Spanish and French (I always get full marks in French and Spanish and in maths I generally get 97.5%/100%) have you started taking your GCSEs yet, becuase the RE classes at my school are generally really small(meaning I don't actually know anyone that took it) so I'm interested to see what it's like!
    I’ve started the Maths and Science GCSE course. In R.E and History we are looking at the Holocaust and the moral aspects of it. I find Science okay and in my last test I got 40/50, which I think is fairly decent.

In my opinion, I do not think you should stress out too much on how the GCSE classes are like. I am currently in year 9 and I’m trying to make the most of it as it’s the last year before the mainstream GCSE courses start. I suggest you make a small bucket list on things you would like to achieve or do before the end of year 9.

For example, one of the things in my bucket list is to play a match of Uno with my history and geography teacher (they are my favourite teachers and I know this is crazy). 😜

Anyways, I hope this advice proves to be useful and I hope we’ll see each other in 2022 at Oxford. 😂

ReputationRep:
    I’ve started the Maths and Science GCSE course. In R.E and History we are looking at the Holocaust and the moral aspects of it. I find Science okay and in my last test I got 40/50, which I think is fairly decent.

In my opinion, I do not think you should stress out too much on how the GCSE classes are like. I am currently in year 9 and I’m trying to make the most of it as it’s the last year before the mainstream GCSE courses start. I suggest you make a small bucket list on things you would like to achieve or do before the end of year 9.

For example, one of the things in my bucket list is to play a match of Uno with my history and geography teacher (they are my favourite teachers and I know this is crazy). 😜

Anyways, I hope this advice proves to be useful and I hope we’ll see each other in 2022 at Oxford. 😂
    😂😂thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of dong food tech but it's a new course so I've never studied it before. I doubt anybody on this thread has done this or even heard of it for GCSE, but what's Mandarin Chinese like? Any adivice in the two would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2222222222222222)
    I like the idea of dong food tech but it's a new course so I've never studied it before. I doubt anybody on this thread has done this or even heard of it for GCSE, but what's Mandarin Chinese like? Any adivice in the two would be appreciated
    Hello, if you feel that you will enjoy Food Tech, then feel free to choose it. If you would like to see how the Mandarin GCSE is like, go and look at some past papers and see if you are able to do them. I hope this is helpful.

ReputationRep:
    mandarin - the person to talk to is Toastiekid

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I do mandarin GCSE!
    If you’ve got any questions don’t hesitate to ask (i know a lot about new gcse mandarin even though I’m doing old spec)
    Thanks clouddbubbles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AB2907)
    HI guys, I'm pretty new to TSR, so bare with me.

I'm a year 9 student, we pick our options in year 9. I've decided to do these subjects:
    English Lit
    English Lang
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    History
    Sociology

Now those are the subjects I'm definitely picking, but now I need to pick another subject and I'm so conflicted on what to choose.
    It has to be one out of : Computer Science, French, Drama, BTEC Music.

Computer Science I find a bit boring, but I'm great at it usually.
    I'm alright at French, I get a bit confused when it comes to grammar so I'd have to study a lot for it
    Drama is good as well, all my subjects are academic so it would be nice to have a 'break subject' so to speak, however I do enjoy most of the subjects I'm picking anyways.
    Music I've always loved, I perform in concerts at my school. I would've jumped on the opportunity to do music GCSE but my school only offers BTEC.

With Music and Drama, I don't want being taken out of lessons for exams etc. to affect my other, perhaps more important subjects. French and Computer Science would add a lot more work as well, especially as my Computer Science would be AQA and apparently that is a lot harder than OCR. A language would also be beneficial. So questions I actually want answered:

If you do French, how hard is it? Is it boring?
    If you do Computer Science, how hard is it? Is it boring?
    If you do Drama/Music, does it affect your more academic subjects?

Thanks!
    Not read the whole thread yet so sorry if you've already been replied to.
    I do Computer Science and we switched from OCR to AQA. AQA is definitely easier than OCR - the only harder thing is you have to add three binary numbers together rather than just two, but the rules are fairly simple. The NEA with AQA is a LOT easier and there's no need to explain every stage of your flowcharts which is nice. You also don't have to learn about MAR and MDR in the CPU with AQA, like you do with OCR. It's also worth noting that computer science is not as programming heavy as most people expect it to be. There's a real focus on the hardware side of things, like how networks work and what the structure of the CPU is, as well as what viruses there are and what they do. Data representation is also a big topic, which covers binary, compression and how images and sound files are stored.

Drama IS NOT a break subject!!! Taking it as an easy subject is a mistake. I have several friends who do it, and there is so much coursework! There is way more emphasis on the theory now than the practical.

I do French and I feel it's really a matter of whether you learnt it from a young age. There's nothing particularly hard about it, it's just how much practice you've had. I would say it's definitely good to have a language, though. If you take French, you'll get an EBacc (google it) too, which is nice!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 3, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.