Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)
    Hey, I do mandarin GCSE!
    If you’ve got any questions don’t hesitate to ask (i know a lot about new gcse mandarin even though I’m doing old spec)
    Thanks clouddbubbles
    Hi! I just want a summary of the course in general and the difficulty and workload.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooschool4cool)
    Thank you! I really love History (but prefer Geography) and the teaching at my school isn't exactly impressive. I'm also not interested at ALL in the GCSE History content, as I am interested in ancient and modern history, but the course at my school is mostly early modern. My school doesn't offer sociology, and RE is something I have been considering instead of a second language, but I absolutely ADORE languages, and I would probably get better grades in them, so I'm going to keep those. (Drama is obviously my 'soft' option, but it's also my best subject and my teacher says that I am likely to get a 9, and that if I don't I will most definitely get an 8, it's also one of my favourite subjects!) Despite this, RE will definitely be my reserve option! I am quite good at English, though, so as long as I get a high grade this will hopefully prepare me. I have also spoken to professors from the university who have said that they accept candidates from a science background without any essay based subjects at all, who do extremely well on the course.

As for the type of law I'm interested in, I'm not really sure (and I don't even know if I want to be a lawyer!). Criminal law seems interesting, but I'm not sure. If I did languages at university I might want to go into the foreign office, but again, I don't know

What did you choose/are you choosing?
    Hi,

It is really great that you are into languages. Definitely don't sacrifice either French or Spanish in favour of any other subject - if you can do them, and not everyone can, it is impressive.

Given that you want to go for Law, I would recommend going for History of RE instead of Drama. If you enjoy any aspect of History, you should go with the GCSE as you can then still do it for A-level when you might be able to study more modern history. I would also suspect that a very large proportion of people applying for Law (esp. at Oxford) have History A-level. RE is a good option as well though if you don't want to do History. Don't buy the idea that everyone needs a 'soft' option - someone applying for Oxford definitely doesn't - and be wary of teachers telling you that you can definitely get a grade in a subject. I would say that if you work hard for History/RE you will achieve a high grade whereas Drama is, I imagine, more based on talent and the subjectivity of the visiting examiner! But, if you are good at it and really want to do it, go for it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MontyZuma)
    Hi,

It is really great that you are into languages. Definitely don't sacrifice either French or Spanish in favour of any other subject - if you can do them, and not everyone can, it is impressive.

Given that you want to go for Law, I would recommend going for History of RE instead of Drama. If you enjoy any aspect of History, you should go with the GCSE as you can then still do it for A-level when you might be able to study more modern history. I would also suspect that a very large proportion of people applying for Law (esp. at Oxford) have History A-level. RE is a good option as well though if you don't want to do History. Don't buy the idea that everyone needs a 'soft' option - someone applying for Oxford definitely doesn't - and be wary of teachers telling you that you can definitely get a grade in a subject. I would say that if you work hard for History/RE you will achieve a high grade whereas Drama is, I imagine, more based on talent and the subjectivity of the visiting examiner! But, if you are good at it and really want to do it, go for it.
    I'm not necessarily sure I want to do Law, and other fields I am particularly interested in are Maths and Languages (or even Linguistics). Surely English Lit at A-Level would be ok? I don't want to swap drama out for anything else, and would only do this if I had to use my reserve option. My current History teacher is also particularly bad at teaching, and I have not been able to understand the content since he began teaching me. I know I would get a bad grade in History if I got him, and a lot of people say the other history teachers aren't great either. RE I would consider but I really don't think I want to give up Drama

ReputationRep:
    In that case, then definitely go for Drama. Your other subjects are already impressive - I just wanted to encourage you to stick with your languages.

English Lit is a very good choice of A-level. Certainly seen along with History as the best Humanities subject (personally I would argue that History is very slightly better regarded but that's my opinion). You don't need Drama GCSE for it but it could only help.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by addieoddie)
    Hi! I just want a summary of the course in general and the difficulty and workload.
    Idk what exam board you’re doing but the content covered is very similar to in French and Spanish (so media, friends and family, hobbies, festivals etc). With your gcse, you will do one speaking exam, one reading exam, one listening exam and one writing exam.
    The speaking exam has three sections:
    1. A role-play task which you do with your teacher. These are normally quite simple things e.g: you’re at a hotel and want to book a room (I do them for French gcse)
    2. A picture based task where you’re given a picture to describe them you’re asked some other questions that sorta relate to the picture
    3. The language is split into different themes (like identity and culture which covers stuff like “who am I?” In the section you choose one theme to give a (pre-prepared) presentation on and answer questions on then the exam board chooses a second theme to answer question on (these questions can be prepared in advance if you learn answers to about five general questions for each theme)
    The reading exam hasn’t been sat before but it’s similar to the old spec one (which I do) though it’s not as easy (as there’ll be grade 9 questions). The listening exam is similar to the reading exam.
    The writing exam assesses your ability to come up with stuff on the spot: there are various tasks on the paper but you’re given quite a long time to do it (in the exam). An example would be something like “write a magazine article about holidays” and it would tell you to reference different points (like where you went on holiday, where you’re going next year). With Mandarin there aren’t very many tenses though so it shouldn’t be too bad
    The difficulty of the course depends on you, I don’t know how well you speak etc mandarin right now but if you put the effort in every lesson you’ll do very well. If every week you were to spend say twenty minutes going back over the vocab you’ve done in the week, you should get a brilliant grade.
    I don’t find the workload that bad (but I’m doing old spec) though I do new spec (9-1) french and I don’t find the workload bad for that. All the people I know who continually put in effort in year 10+11 are doing exceptionally well right now (the others less so)...
    Again, the difficulty depends on the person. As Mandarin is a difficult language, grade boundaries are often low. If you’re willing to put small bits of work in regularly then I recommend you take it.
    Finally I’d look at the specification, at the back you can see all the vocab you’ll learn over the next few years. Don’t be daunted; your teacher will help you prepare for it, I’ve found my mandarin teacher to be very supportive (actually I’ve found all four of them to be...our teachers have changed a lot!).
    I guess if you enjoy it and are reasonably good at it then go for it! It’s a great conversation starter and it’s really interesting
    Any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask

ReputationRep:
    I’m in y8, and I have whittled my options down to:
    (GCSE)
    English Lit*
    English Lang*
    Mathematics*
    Triple Science*
    RS*
    MFL German (French,german or Spanish)
    History/Geography
    PE
    Art/Music/Dance/Photography

I go to a grammar school
    * = compulsory
    Anyone have advice on what I should take?
    The exam boards my school use are aqa edexcel and a few others(?)i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yhweh)
    I’m in y8, and I have whittled my options down to:
    (GCSE)
    English Lit*
    English Lang*
    Mathematics*
    Triple Science*
    RS*
    MFL German (French,german or Spanish)
    History/Geography
    PE
    Art/Music/Dance/Photography

I go to a grammar school
    * = compulsory
    Anyone have advice on what I should take?
    The exam boards my school use are aqa edexcel and a few others(?)i think
    can you give me some more background - like why you’re considering each subject? it might help me to help you with your decision :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    can you give me some more background - like why you’re considering each subject? it might help me to help you with your decision :dontknow:
    I love creative subjects, so that’s why I want to take PE and maybe Art, Dance, Music, Photography etc etc and I also find History interesting. I already study German, and my Grammar school makes us do triple science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yhweh)
    I love creative subjects, so that’s why I want to take PE and maybe Art, Dance, Music, Photography etc etc and I also find History interesting. I already study German, and my Grammar school makes us do triple science
    what would you like to do when you are older?

ReputationRep:
    what would you like to do when you are older?
    I really don’t know, maybe something creative?

ReputationRep:
    Or political/law related?

ReputationRep:
    well out of geography and history it’s probably best to go for history :yep:

can’t really help with the other subjects. talk to your teachers perhaps?

Yhweh

ReputationRep:
    Coming from a year 11, if you regret your subjects do not change them, wait abit. I changed to Media in the first few weeks of year 10 and absolutely hate Media. I now wish I didn’t change. Give your subject a chance, you might start to enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    just posting again to get this thread back in recents
    still time to choose your options!
    decisions can still be made!
    :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Do these sound like good options?
    English Lit
    English Lang
    Mathematics
    Triple Science
    French
    History
    Art
    Food tech (maybe)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addieoddie)
    Do these sound like good options?
    English Lit
    English Lang
    Mathematics
    Triple Science
    French
    History
    Art
    Food tech (maybe)
    good :thumbsup:
    if you have any ideas for your future then it’s important to take them into account, and make sure they’re subjects you enjoy :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hey Year 8’s and 9’s,
    You’ve probably clicked on this if you’re still conflicted about...
    WHAT TO CHOOSE FOR YOUR GCSES
    so, hello, I’m here to help!

I’m in Year 10, and picked my options last year.
    I KNOW HOW IT FEELS.
    I decided to create this thread, and I’m fully aware that the student room is full of mostly university students and a level students so I don’t know if it will be of any use at all, but if any of you are not sure what to take – this thread’s here for you!

If you’re just looking for a bit of advice, here are my 5 top tips...
    Spoiler:
    Show

1. Pick the subjects you enjoy; you’ve got to study them for the next two years and there’s no point picking a subject that you know will BORE YOU TO DEATH
    2. Have a mix of academic and creative subjects; if your timetable is made up of all academic subjects you’re likely to enjoy lessons a lot less. Having creative subjects helps to break it up a bit and can also unload a bit of stress of you!
    3. Pick subjects you’ll do well in; if you’re predicted to fail a subject, maybe it’s not smart to choose it. Unless you’ll make it your mission to improve your grade in that subject, go for the ones you’re predicted to do well in or pass.
    4. Don’t pick a subject because you like the teacher; loads of my friends did this and ended up with a terrible one! It’s really unlikely you’ll get that teacher for the next two or three years of your gcse course, so don’t base your decisions on this.
    5. Make the most of those options evenings you; ask the teachers for advice, they know you best (in terms of whether the subject is for you or not) so they will be incredibly helpful in influencing your decision!

If you’re considering a subject that you haven’t done before – such as media, business studies or health and social care, try to do your research! Find out the exam board you’ll be on for that course and take a look at what it’s all about. From that, you should hopefully have some idea of if the subject will suit you.

Still stuck?
    That’s what this thread is for!
    Ask whatever questions you like, and I’m sure there’ll be plenty of people who can help you out

Just want to discuss your options?
    Let us know what you’re planning on taking! :yep:

(and hopefully this thread won’t be dead. That would be awkward! Keeping my fingers crossed!)

Subject GuidesTo help you make the decision, we've put together a series of threads which answer some of the most common questions you might like to consider before taking the course.

In each thread there is information about the GCSE and A level syllabus (including for core subjects), and if you have any other questions then you can ask on the thread
    More guides will be added as they are made
    Hi, I’ve filled in my GCSE options form and have selected History, Music and French. I’m really conscious I’ve made the wrong decision; I thoroughly enjoy the subjects and excel in them but I’m just very indecisive! Please let me know what you thought of these courses, I’d really appreciate your feedback. Thank you :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xchloem03X)
    Hi, I’ve filled in my GCSE options form and have selected History, Music and French. I’m really conscious I’ve made the wrong decision; I thoroughly enjoy the subjects and excel in them but I’m just very indecisive! Please let me know what you thought of these courses, I’d really appreciate your feedback. Thank you :-)
    what are your plans for the future?
    i think that’s the only other thing to consider,
    because if you enjoy them and excel in them
    there is nothing to worry about!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Xchloem03X)
    I’m doing the exact same courses right now (year 11) so let me know if you’ve got any questions! I’d say they’re a great mix as if you’ve got them all for double periods on the same day it’s nice but I’m a biased source

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so a bit of background info about me:

I’ve always loved English. From a very young age I knew that English was the career path I wanted to follow. Since I started my school year (9) this September, I’ve started to grow to really enjoy science and it has become something that I am extremely interested in.

I’m choosing my options this year, and I’m looking to pick Triple Science, because honestly I’m starting love the subject and English is becoming less interesting to me. My parents tell me that I should peruse a career in English, the subject that I always used to love. They also say that Triple Science is very sudden but honestly, it’s become my favorite subject and something that I definetly want to study moving forward.

Shall I go for it? Or not?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.