Turn on thread page Beta

What do I do? My mom is invading my privacy! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabbit2)
    One approach (although somewhat radical) would be to stop using your phone, and get yourself a 'burner phone' - like the drug dealers use here in the states. They are sold for cash, so buy it for cash. That way there's no credit card record, and it's not tied to your name/addy. It's 'pay as you go' - so there are no bills. You don't pay up, your phone stops working until you do. I know people who use 'burner phones' to deal with their contractors, when they are doing government contracting. That way, if someone leaks their cellphone number, they don't have to worry about some ISIS hack playing "come to see allah" on an uzi, the next time they step off the plane in Beruit. Since they are the only one using the phone, and they answer "hello" - with no name associated with it - they are fairly secure. Cheers.
    Hahaha relax, I'm sure this isn't the solution to OPs problem...

ReputationRep:
    *She proceeds to reply with some stupid **** like, muh that girl shouldn't have been doing that and is evil for beating her mother. Worst case scenarios she takes it as a threat to her that you'd beat her or some ****.'*lmao helicopter parents

ReputationRep:
    set a password

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Rabbit2;75936388]worry about some ISIS hack playing "come to see allah" on an uzi, the next time they step off the plane in Beruit./QUOTE]

lmao

Edit: Apparently I can't quote people. I don't give enough ****s on how to either.

ReputationRep:
    I find it shocking that some people on this thread are suggesting that op should be grateful for their parents invading their privacy. Looking through their private conversations on their phone like that is just disgusting if they don't have an actual justifiable reason for it.

Helicopter parenting never ends well and it should not be encouraged.

ReputationRep:
    My mum used to do that. It was very very very very annoying. I feel your pain. I used to not be allowed to use my phone unless I used it in the same room as my parents so I never bothered with social media and all that and as a result I didn't have many friends at school.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by RF_PineMarten)
    I find it shocking that some people on this thread are suggesting that op should be grateful for their parents invading their privacy. Looking through their private conversations on their phone like that is just disgusting if they don't have an actual justifiable reason for it.

Helicopter parenting never ends well and it should not be encouraged.
    Yeeeeeeees boi! You are high!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Yeeeeeeees boi! You are high!
    *right
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    There is a method called grey-rocking. Particularly useful towards people who are manipulative and controlling.

Basically, you need to be as boring as a rock. Give off the impression that you're the most uninteresting person in the world, this means giving the most bland replies ever. Remember, lack of information is the best treatment.

If she asks "who is Ben?", reply with "just someone I know"

"What bus is that?"
    "It goes somewhere".

"You always go outside"
    "Did you end up doing the shopping for Mrs Smith in the end?"

It takes a lot of practice to get it right, but your mum will get ever more frustrated by the fact that you aren't feeding her the answers that she wants. Eventually she'll get bored and stop being possessive.

Don't give her what she wants, you be that grey rock.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    On my phone I talk to my friends (nothing inappropriate) and recently my mom has been taking my phone to read everything. I got really annoyed at this so I deleted my messages because every time she takes my phone she asks me stupid questions like "who is ben?!" or "what bus is that?!" and she thinks I'm meeting up with people. Anyways I deleted my messages and then she wanted to check my phone again and there was nothing there. She got really mad and said by the end of the day I have to tell her what I'm hiding. Wtf
    A lot of Asians can often relate to this problem. I for one have experienced this too and I know how it feels. Let me be straight with you and tell you that you're never going to get the freedom you long for till you move out. I hope you have enough money to live alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    There is a method called grey-rocking. Particularly useful towards people who are manipulative and controlling.

Basically, you need to be as boring as a rock.
    Sudden changes of strategy are too transparent. And I say that as a mum. We've been your age once, with or without technology.

ReputationRep:
    i think you should seek therapy,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)

Basically, you need to be as boring as a rock. Give off the impression that you're the most uninteresting person in the world, this means giving the most bland replies ever. Remember, lack of information is the best treatment.

If she asks "who is Ben?", reply with "just someone I know"

"What bus is that?"
    "It goes somewhere".

"You always go outside"
    "Did you end up doing the shopping for Mrs Smith in the end?"

It takes a lot of practice to get it right, but your mum will get ever more frustrated by the fact that you aren't feeding her the answers that she wants. Eventually she'll get bored and stop being possessive.

Don't give her what she wants, you be that grey rock.
    So in short; stupid question, stupid answer.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t know how old you are but it does sound like you are in a situation where you are not being trusted and that must be frustrating. If you are under 16 I can maybe understand a parent checking what is going on...there are numerous parenting advisors telling us to do just that...that we need to keep our kids safe using social media etc.
    Really the message is to help teach children to look after themselves but it should be a gradual process....if you are older then I personally would not go checking my child’s phone...it shows distrust and a lack of respectful boundaries. If you are a uni aged student that is wierd and out of order...but I know there are parents out there vicariously living their lives through their children.....

ReputationRep:
    On my phone I talk to my friends (nothing inappropriate) and recently my mom has been taking my phone to read everything. I got really annoyed at this so I deleted my messages because every time she takes my phone she asks me stupid questions like "who is ben?!" or "what bus is that?!" and she thinks I'm meeting up with people. Anyways I deleted my messages and then she wanted to check my phone again and there was nothing there. She got really mad and said by the end of the day I have to tell her what I'm hiding. Wtf
    I get that happening to me all the time.
    Just hit her and tell her to go away,if she doesn't slap her again.

ReputationRep:
    lol, she just cares about you, just tell her that you're old enough to be trusted with messaging people and that you would never do anything inappropriate, or give her your phone to check, i guarantee if you give it to her before she asks at least 3 times, she wouldn't ask again.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.